Agnostic.com

86 18

Would you live in a 400 sq ft home, if it meant you could live in an absolutely beautiful place?

You can live in the most beautiful place you've ever seen, but your house would be ... not so great and tiny. Do you think it is worth the trade-off?

silvereyes 8 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

86 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’m going mobile next year, probably into a converted cargo van. I spend as much time outdoors as possible; home is for shelter, sleep and storage.

Yes, 400 SF is enough if it is well designed

Yes i would do it for the right place.. Could i build on lol?

I agree, it would need to be the right climate...how about a tropical area in Mexico?

Absolutely!

There are many tiny houses here in Hawaii for just that reason. How much indoors do you need when the outdoors is so inviting? At 700 sq ft, my cozy 2-bedroom house is palatial compared to many of my friends'.

Ludo Level 7 Apr 5, 2018

I am committing the 6th deadly sin right now. 😉

Okay, when can I come? I live in an artist loft 600 sq ft, but I can certainly live in 400 if it's in Hawaii. I'm sick of winter.

Impress with other thread members response.

Yes!!! I build eco house villages , each house is less than 400 sq. ft. You are serving the natural environment and Humanity best. Also that allows you to spend your money on many other beautiful things.

Yes. I would be forced to get rid of stuff I probably should have gotten rid of years ago. Lol

Watched those tiny home shows and I could never downsize that much to do it. I also get clausrophobic and need lots of light. Tiny stove, refrigerator, not much for closets. Could travel cross country in a motor home-my folks had one for a while.

Same. I feel guilty that I need so much space to do my humaning, but I don't like confined areas.

I lived in a 18'x8' space for six years. Admittedly it had no toilet or shower cubicle, the potty sat in the living area.
They were in many respects the best years of my life. I recall saying a little about it at #Bellbirds.

That would be plenty of room for just me

Absolutely!
I'd like to a motorhome and live anywhere I want. 🙂

Absolutely. That's plenty of room for one.

JimG Level 8 Apr 5, 2018

No, I would not live in a 400 ft.² home because I don't want to live In cramped conditions and it is too small for two people.

dc65 Level 7 Apr 5, 2018

I can't do feet as I was brought up metric and I can't see that in my weird mind. My house is fairly small but two storeys so its ok. I don't think size matters as long as you have room for your stuff

Sure, everything in life about perspective. With the right perspective and outlook you can make the best of most situations.

T23GM Level 4 May 8, 2018

I think I could do that. Never saw the big advantage to a large house, except that a couple can live in it and have their own spaces (so to speak). 400 sq ft is roughly 20'X20' dimensiionally, and that seems like it would be big enough for one; and maybe a couple small dogs.

Considering that right now I'm single and that you didn't specify that I couldn't expand at some point. Yes I would like to live in such a place.

There would be too much housework to do, and little time to enjoy the scenery, live in a smaller home and have the satisfaction of creating your own beautiful gardens....

Yes I have lived in less space happily

Absolutely, especially if it were in the mountains or desert. I love Utah and Arizona, but unfortunately, I live in Michigan, Brrr..

Yes. But it would require a shift in my mindset. I may have a lot of stuff I really don't need.

Gohan Level 7 Apr 5, 2018

I don't really see how anyone really needs more space than that.

Absolutely.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:50414
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.