Agnostic.com

20 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This "survey" was compiled by a pastor and published in a religious magazine. I doubt there is any truth to this and the sole purpose of the claim is to further excite the nutjobs into political activity.

Yes, he was attempting to incite his flock, I'm sure. But I don't believe the findings are inaccurate. I've seen other surveys with similar results.

Of course we're more politically active, there is good reason for that:

“Our society tends to regard as a sickness any mode of thought or behavior that is inconvenient for the system and this is plausible because when an individual doesn't fit into the system it causes pain to the individual as well as problems for the system. Thus the manipulation of an individual to adjust him to the system is seen as a cure for a sickness and therefore as good.” - Theodore Kaczynski

Although this quote is from the Unabomber, it is a legitimate fact.

And, although he was an American domestic terrorist, anarchist, and former mathematics professor. He was also a mathematics prodigy.

Not surprised at all ... We / they tend to be the smartest and the ones who usually carry the torch and burden of change ... Instead of just settling for the status quo

Funny. I write #moscowmitch on a regular basis among others. I haven't missed a vote in over thirty years. And I have an equality bumper sticker on my car. And I donated to McGrath several times this year.

@Mb_Man well he wasn't broadcasting on a TV station so he should be able to say whatever he wants. I do love David Pakman, it would be funny to think you subliminally caused that.

I was reading this last night. Then I wondered how I landed on Christian site 🙂

Very interesting.

The first thing I got was an invitation for their newsletter I figured since I got cancer and I'm retired now I'll look at their stuff too, I do fit into their description though.

Well, studies show we have higher IQs, thus we really care for the benefit of all mankind and the earth's environment due to the fact that we know we only have a brief period to do good here in life. Religious people are deluded into thinking there's an afterlife and only care mostly about themselves and their "salvation" to live forever in a paradise that they have made up, so why would they care what happens to fellow men and our planet if they are going to live forever somewhere else?

Very well stated!

Well that would be emotional intelligence not regular IQ - maybe our parents look after us better and nurture better brain development. After all they don't have to waste Sundays on their knees and studying 2000 year old scriptures - plenty of extra time to help their kids be smart.

@prometheus wrong! When I post I don't nake up things like others do. I deal with FACTS! [psychologytoday.com]

@Mofo1953 well a link is always helpful, even after the fact and even if it is basically an opinion piece.

However I was, evidentially not clearly enough, responding to your assertion of higher IQ "thus we really care for the benefit of all mankind and the earth's environment due to the fact that we know we only have a brief period to do good here in life."

There's nothing in that article that backs that assertion although I don't think you meant it to back out up. Sure those traits are not correlated with many religious counties, but it doesn't mean high IQ is the cause of them.

@prometheus research shows we have higher IQs, that means we are more intelligent, ergo we think better than the average christian, the article is clearly a comment on the research and not on your cockamamie nit picking, better thinkers are better science followers, ergo the environmentally sound decisions we make, obviously I am not including you in the "we." Go back to your parents and curl up then.

This is because we are doing good in using logic and the lack of empirical evidence for things that are believed. Those that do believe start out with a pre-supposition that cannot be proven and bring the burden of proof upon them selves.

Encouraging.

gearl Level 8 June 14, 2020

Sounds like the rag is impressed. I have a couple of "I'm secular and I vote" stickers and display them and I do vote, always.

Of course we are. We understand making this life better for everyone is our path to real immortality.

It’s interesting that I was a xtian for 30 years and I was led to believe atheists didn’t have the capability to truly care about others. Since I left the faith I have found that to be 100% false and atheists are more genuine because they are not trying to put on a mask to impress others

"...more so than any other religious group.”
What does this guy mean 'other' religious group?

Probably because they're the most underrepresented. If they don't stand up for themselves, who will?

That might proof that our numbers are rising faster and religious is dropping faster.

They were saying percent of... It would have no bearing on our population share.

👍

Atheist are more politically active because we know it makes a difference and we are smart people.

Many Christian leaders are smart people too. I have a feeling that this article is written to try to encourage Christian evangelicals to be more active. They just did their best to create a competition.

True there are many smart Christians. They are just closed minded on one subject because of the Hell issue

You have to be

bobwjr Level 10 June 14, 2020

"Additionally, 41.9% of atheist respondents said they had contacted a public official, again the largest percentage of surveyed religious groups, and 37% had donated money to a candidate, tying with Jews for first place."

This article was writen by a reporter of the christian post... See what i bold faced... How many atheits are "surveyed"would be in a religious group? Diesn't make sense to me..

@Fred_Snerd "cooking the books.' yes, i figured...

@Fred_Snerd you say tomato i say tomatoe... 😜

@Fred_Snerd

@Fred_Snerd yours too. Im just tired and getting ready for bed... Gnight...

@Fred_Snerd you win nuttin😊 im going to sleep...

Wasn't the research done by Pew?

That Ryan Burge study sure is making its rounds. This is the third article I've read referencing it. Unfortunately, the biggest effect I see it having is encouraging more religious engagement at the polls.

I guess they're on to me, too.
I couldn't read the article.
LOL

I've got the general idea though.
😉

The first half of the article says:

Americans who identify as atheist are the most likely group to be involved in political activism, according to a report by a political science professor.

Ryan P. Burge of Eastern Illinois University drew from data from the Cooperative Congressional Election Survey of 2018 for his report published by Religion in Public.

When asked about political activity within the past 12 months, 24.9% of atheist respondents said they had attended a march or protest, the largest of any of the surveyed religious groups.

Additionally, 41.9% of atheist respondents said they had contacted a public official, again the largest percentage of surveyed religious groups, and 37% had donated money to a candidate, tying with Jews for first place.

Also, 24.1% of atheist respondents reported putting up a political sign, placing them in a close second to 24.7% of Buddhist respondents.

White evangelical respondents showed less participation by comparison, with 4.4% of respondents saying they had attended a march or protest and 28.5% saying they had contacted a public official.

“It’s become almost a trope at this point among people who study and write about American religion and politics — evangelicals punch way above their weight. Their voter turnout has stayed relatively steady despite their drop in population share,” wrote Burge.

“But I was working through some data today and noticed something that I don’t think that I’ve seen reported on much — atheists are incredibly politically active — more so than any other religious group.”

Burge went on to speculate that this increased political involvement might have helped contribute to Democratic political successes in the 2018 midterm elections.

And the last part is:

“This could be one of the reasons that the Blue Wave happened in 2018 — a very agitated base of atheists who got politically involved,” he continued.

“White evangelicals make up 15.6% of the population, atheists and agnostics combined are 13.2%. With that level of political activity, it’s fair to say that these nones might be a bigger political force in the next presidential election than we give them credit for — they just have to stay angry and stay engaged.”

As religious unaffiliated Americans in general appear to increase in number, the Democratic Party has made more overtures to those who identify as atheist.

Last August, the Democratic National Committee passed a resolution in support of religious unaffiliated Americans, declaring that atheists and agnostics “overwhelmingly share the Democratic Party’s values.”

"I am proud to see the Democratic Party take that to heart by bringing secular Americans into the fold,” said Sarah Levin, director of governmental affairs for the Secular Coalition of America, which championed the resolution.

“America was founded as a secular government charged with representing and protecting the freedoms of people of all faiths and none.”

In the current session of Congress, 88.2% of members identify as Christian, while 6.4% identify as Jewish, and 3.6% identified either as unaffiliated or declined to answer, according to Pew Research Center.

@HippieChick58 Thank you. It was sweet of you to post that whole thing.

I'm not kidding though. I think the CP might have my IP address blocked.
I used to spend a lot of time commenting on their stories and getting into "debates" with believers.
See? Making friends wherever I go!!! 😀

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:506090
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.