Agnostic.com

13 7

LINK MAGA Cultist Bill Mitchell: Systemic Racism is a “Fantasy Created by the Media” | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Willful Ignorance isn't limited to religion....

MAGA cultist Bill Mitchell said on his “YourVoice America” program Friday night that there was no such thing as systemic racism because, if anything, minorities have it so much better than white people. To him, if racism isn’t literally written into the law, then that must mean everything is equal for everyone.

snytiger6 9 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My response to him.

I don't follow all these podcasts with opinions, but as a Mexicsn American am I to believe all my successes and failures can be contributed to rascism?

It is my opinion that posts here should be free to see without strings attached. I will no longer join something or alter my browser.

Bill Mitchell must be an incredibly unintelligent man OR he is so afraid there will no longer be a white majority real soon. Some people ask me what I think of that issue. I don't. I don't care about or wonder about who has a racial majority.

A black fellow I knew years ago told of his daughter being stopped by a police officer, whose first question was "What are you doing here?" in the nice lily white neighborhood.That's a symptom!

Jim Crow laws may have been expunged, I hope, but if you read "The New Jim Crow, Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness," by Michelle Alexander, you might get a sense of systemic racism.
Toxic dumps, and the like are put near poorer neighborhoods, usually black ones. The cycle of poverty, poor education, incarcerated fathers and uncles, and brothers, in black neighborhoods, incarcerated WAY beyond their proportion in the population, keeps the system keeping blacks down. And, on and on....

That is so insane, why are you watching that in the first place?!

People who didn't live in times when racism was accepted as common and legal protections from discrimination weren't yet available, don't know what real (original meaning of) racism is. Like other terms such as misogyny and 'hate', they've been conveniently and purposely eroded to mean just about anything a user wishes. These 'hot button' labels and epithets are employed as a means of undermining the very system that brought about SYSTEMIC remedies to real race-based, social inequities under the law; even for illegitimate local laws conflicting with both letter and spirit Constitutional protections.

Our system protects civil rights of Americans far more effectively than at any time in our history. Social practices and attitudes, however, cannot be changed legislatively and in a free country cannot be entirely regulated by laws. Such changes occur over longer periods of time. The best part is that they really do happen.

Everything will not be equal for everyone, EVER. It is a concept conceived of, by and for 'the ignorant'. Laws will never achieve unrealistic expectations. Inequality, like the poor, will always exist in pockets of the population; especially a heterogeneous population. Equality and fairness are human contrived, imagined concepts that can only exist to the extent that humans can bring them into reality not just by rules and laws but by personal conduct of people who first love and respect themselves and forces of Nature that animate everything we experience.

There went two minutes of my life I'd like to have back.

As a Corrections officer, can I ask you; does the established fact that blacks are more likely to get prison time for the exact same crime than whites, and serve out more of their sentence before getting parole, point to a systemic racism? Even when accounting for juvenile criminal history, judges are more likely to sentence a black defendant to prison time than to probation.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a conscious bias, even, on the part of a judge. Rather, it's the way the system is set up (hence a systemic bias). It's assumed that certain factors make a defendant a successful candidate for probation or parole; growing up in a two parent home; a stable employment history; extended family support. All things that are more likely coming from a middle class white background than from an impoverished black background. And once someone has been to prison, it makes it that much harder to get or keep a job once they get out.

I'm by no means an apologist for anyone who breaks the law. But the Constitution promises equal protection of the laws, and we've done a rotten job living up to that phrase.

"The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons." - Fyodor Dostoevsky

@Paul4747 It doesn't take a corrections officer to ask or answer the question. The system, any system, ideally operates on the basis of it's design and rules of operation within it. Those are the only things that I think can be called 'systemic'. Human elements in systems are where culpabilities lie for inequities and almost always are acted out with personal biases and prejudices. Those on the receiving ends of actions also judge them from biased points of view. This is what I referred to in the last sentence.

To have compassion for others based on familiarity, instead of contrived prevalent steriotypes alone, requires familiarity. That state of experience cannot be acquired in a society wherein groups are alienated and suspicious of one another; in societies like ours where those sentiments are exploited and purposely intensified for political objectives.

There is no such thing as a rule that can force a biased person to make decisions free of bias whenever they have latitude within the 'rules' to exercise discretion. This is why judges, parole board members and police officers make personal decisions that are not only preferential within their discretion but often over-reaching it. A system design can't read minds. All over-reaching of authority isn't, incidentally, race or culture based. There are also internal politics in play based on other reasons for bias such as sex, favors owed, familial connections and other preferential behaviors within bounds of individual authority. Governmental and corporate 'systems' are rife with them but hardly responsible for them.

The more people from differing cultural and racial groups associate, work together and especially marry and form families, the less suspicion and prejudice we'll have. We can';t blame it on institutions that by their very designs are intended to mitigate effects of biased treatment.

Conspiracy theorists never present data. All data proves this asshole wrong!

Oh, yeah, I mean, it's so great having double the poverty rate, 1/10 the median wealth, not to mention making up 33% of the prison population (according to the latest Pew Research Center study), even though blacks are only 12% of the population overall (and tend to get longer sentences for the same crimes!).

Where can I get me some of that?

(On a related topic, can we get a "satire" font around here? Because I clearly don't agree that any of those things are great, nor do I want any of that for anybody. I'm satirizing Bill Mitchell's views that "if anything, minorities have it so much better than white people".)

(We return you now to your regularly scheduled reading.)

We could recognize the html tag <satire>this is satire</satire>.

@Detritus (link not working)

Maybe I need to update Windows 10, again....

If you define ‘systemic racism’ as racism necessarily written into law, then he is correct. This is not an unreasonable interpretation of ‘systemic racism’, though it is not mine.

It's been actively illegal to discriminate for years, and yet it's still happening. The old conservative canard is that "you can't legislate people's attitudes". But those attitudes express themselves in law, like ending Affirmative Action programs, because supposedly there's been so much progress that they're now unneccesary.

"Systemic racism" expresses itself in many, many subtle ways. For example, let's say the admissions officer at an Ivy League school has two students to choose from when filling one available spot. Are they more likely to choose the kid who worked their way up from an inner-city background, while working after school and helping raise their siblings because both parents have full-time jobs.... or the child of the guy they went through the fraternity with and toilet-papered the Dean's house on Halloween, not to mention going on skiing holidays together every summer in Aspen, and also they're on the board of two different companies, and don't forget they donated that building last year...

That's not a far-fetched example. George W. Bush, an entirely mediocre student (who also showed up drunk to his interview for Yale, according to legend), was the grandson of a United States senator from Connecticut who had recently served as a member of the Yale Corporation. So he was accepted-- unlike 49 percent of all alumni sons who applied that year. He was a legacy among legacies.

Of course, it's unlikely for most white kids applying to college to have these advantages. But almost no minority kids do.

You could need to very carefully define “written into law” to make your statement true. The tax cut giveaway to the rich totally ignored and left out people of color. Was it racist?

@Detritus The tax cuts (and the Bush tax cuts as well) left out almost everybody from the greatest part of the benefits. But since people of color are disproportionately also poor and lower middle class, they got disproportionately less benefit from the tax cuts. This was especially egregious in the case of the Bush tax cuts, when he lied outright and said ""By far the vast majority of my tax cuts go to the bottom end of the spectrum"; fully 1/3 went to the top 1%.

@Paul4747 Thanks for the robust response, but did you not read that this is not my interpretation?

@indirect76 I didn't say you did agree with it.

I was hoping to persuade you by rhetoric that it is an unreasonable definition ("racism necessarily written into law" ), in that it's so narrow it doesn't cover the practical experience of any American since the 1964 Civil Rights Act and the 1965 Voting Rights Act.

For that matter, there are still many laws being passed even today that, while not overtly racist, effectively target minorities. Voter ID laws, for instance, disproportionately affect minorities, who are less likely to have driver's licenses or state ID cards, thus keeping them away from the polls. And the people passing these laws know it.

@Paul4747 I see, well I’m not sure how it being too narrow to apply to the situation in the US makes it any less of a reasonable interpretation. It seems like all the discussion is about what words mean instead of the ideas.

Ultimately the article is saying that racism is not written directly into the law. I’d say this is a fairly vapid point regardless of what any one thinks ‘systemic racism’ means.

The definition of an ignorant fool.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:506898
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.