Agnostic.com

36 18

Your thoughts on forgiveness?

Last night I couldn't sleep with hours of loud explosions by asshats until 1 a.m.

"GROW UP, GUYS!" I wanted to shout. "QUIET!"

Instead I finished a favorite, Pulitzer- winning book, "A Thousand Acres" by Jane Smiley.

This morning, I awoke in a contemplative haze thinking about how "A Thousand Acres" echoes William Shakespeare's "King Lear." In both stories, a longstanding family is destroyed by an abusive, cruel, despotic and remorseless father.

Both families are torn apart by lack of remorse and forgiveness.

This is an important lesson. Forgiving transformed my relationship with my daughter.

Grudge-holding just hurt the person holding a grudge. It's poisonous.

A caveat

I can forgive, but don't forget. With my abusive first husband, I could never trust him again.

LiterateHiker 9 July 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thoughts? A lot. There is healthy forgiveness and not-so-healthy. The unhealthy would be akin to turning a blind eye and becoming a doormat for hateful and selfish people to continue to abuse and misuse.

Healthy forgiveness is about emotionally accepting something happened and moving on. It is mostly for the benefit of the forgiver. It does NOT mean being blind to wrong-doing. To forgive does NOT mean to turn around and allow yourself to be abused again. Forgive, but don't forget.

It DOES MEAN accepting that people are fallable, including being selfish and short-sighted, that life is not fair, and expecting it to be guarantees disappointment and resentment. Striving to focus most on the many things we have to be grateful for, rather that our many perceived slights of justice, helps us to be able to forgive and move on with life.

forgiving ones self can be very hard at too at times until you learn to love your self for whom you are

@RoyMillar

Great insight. You're right.

I could only think of this:

@Mofo1953

Beautiful! Thank you.

If that's all you could think of, it's more than enough ...thank you for this share!

I find it difficult to forgive when a person unendingly demeans, attacks, and deliberately hurts you, knowing what effect it has on you and on the relationship itself. Mistakes, errors in judgment, or a simple occasional lapse in civil behavior I can forgive readily.

Not forgiving is like drinking poison and expecting the person who wronged you to die. You forgive to be at peace with yourself. And yes, it is hard to do.

...and not locking your doors when driving through what you know is a REALLY bad neighborhood , is a very good way to wind up with a knife at your throat ( been there ) I don't suggest sitting around stewing on things that harms none but yourself, and I can forgive an honest mistake all day long, but people who are constant ly going out of their way to cause misery, the safest thing is to treat them like the plague.

Choosing not to forgive does not mean I sit around stewing about the wrongs done to me. I don't dwell on them. I don't feel, however, that I owe the wrongdoer forgiveness, especially when they feel no remorse. I do not forgive him. He does not deserve to be forgiven. It would not make me feel better to say I forgive him when I don't feel it, and it certainly would nave no effect on him one way or another, since we no longer make contact. He has his world now, and I have mine. He can either rot or not. I won't know.

Deb57 Level 8 July 5, 2020

The most important thing about forgiveness is to forgive yourself for having put up with such a situation for so long or at all.

Yes, unforgiveness can hurt those who cannot forgive. It is an important lesson to learn .but forgiveness does not mean letting someone walk all over you.

I forgive, but I don't forget.

Not all deserve forgiveness.. If they don't show that they are really sorry, well, they don't get my forgiveness

@Cutiebeauty

I can forgive, but I don't forget.

With my first husband, I could never trust him again.

Grudge-holding just hurts the person holding the grudge.

@LiterateHiker I don't hold a grudge, I just eject them from my social circle

@Cutiebeauty

In my 20s, I learned to surround myself with positive people.

@LiterateHiker yes, me too...

If a person wrongs me, and I confront them, and they genuinely apologize and make an effort to keep from wronging me like that in the future, I have no problem forgiving them. However they may not have the same trust I gave them before.

If a person wrongs me, and I confront them, and they argue to justify their actions, not acknowledging that what they did was wrong and make no effort to amend, then I do not forgive them. I write them off, and cut them out of my life.

If a person wronged me, and has since died, without acknowledging or apologizing for the behavior, such as an abusive parent, there is nothing I can do but forgive them as they must not have known better, but I do, and I can live a good life making sure I don't perpetuate the same wrongs.

Yes, there were specific people in mind for the 3 examples above. It helps me to have these rules in my head, in case I'm confronted with another life altering experience where I can just speedily deal with it instead of unending days of turmoil. Easy simple - apologize and don't do it again or you're gone! I don't have time for turmoil in my life anymore.

Quite right. Forgiving liberates the forgiver.

Forgetting and indifference incite the wrongdoer.

Further, we must never forget that it is impossible to forgive crimes or wrongdoings that are continuous. There are quite of few them. Abusive behaviour is one example. Recurrent racist conduct by so many policemen is another.

Meditation helps.

Mvtt Level 7 July 5, 2020

@Mvtt

Agreed.

Some people are simply not worthy of forgiveness. I've learned this the hard way, but now I understand!!!

Forgiveness yes, forgetfulness no!

I prefer to think of it as “letting go”

There are precious few things in life that we can control, the actions and intentions of others are not counted among those few. I would rather spend my worries on the things I can change than to continue to rub salt on an old wound. If your hand becomes gangrenous, the doctor will cut it off, if a relationship becomes toxic, shouldn’t you perform the same surgery? I think that forgiveness is just another way of saying “I’m not going to dwell on this anymore” but the important lesson needs to be learned, and some lessons are more expensive than others.

if you don't forgive it just festers up into hate eventually, but forgetting nearly ensures a repeat. I don't like to carry that stuff around, and I don't like having to do it over and over.

@hankster

Agreed. Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison.

It just hurts the person holding the grudge.

This is the reply I was looking for, agreed.

Depending on the situation/transgression, forgiveness, I feel, is always possible, but should follow a sincere apology. Agree on what others have said here about self-forgiveness.

Forgiveness ,At times that can be easy or very hard ,I had a situation with a brother that happenned and could not get it out of my mind for decades over money .when i finally found away for him to make amends and he did ,It left my mind and really have never thought about it since ,somethings next to impossible to let go of and other things very easily one can ,sometimes family is the hardest as they are the ones who should know better in the first place ,

Distance and time helped me to release the hurt and happy to know that the past doesn't hold me captive.

To forgive does not equate to allowing yourself to be abused further. I can forgive and be wise enough to know if they deserve to be allowed back into my life in any manner or not. I believe you are similar. It's not holding a grudge to not allow them back in....it's self respect and self protection. Grudge holding is as you have stated in my estimation and a total waste of our time.

Forgiveness generally benefits the forgiver as much as or more than the recipient.

I agree with Nixon on one thing. "Living well is the best revenge."

I was just thinking of this yesterday. Forgiveness does not come easy to me sometimes

twill Level 7 July 5, 2020

I think one can, and should, forgive without returning to a "normal" relationship with others.

I depends.

If the act reflects what they are, and what they are is bad, then no. You don't have to stew about it, but you also do not need to forgive.

If is just an act, they can always be forgiven. In most cases I do.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:512465
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.