Agnostic.com

15 13

LINK Creationist Kent Hovind Says Broccoli is Proof That Evolution is False | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Notice, that even though the creationist is serious, I put this in the "Silly Tandon and Fun" category...

Remember when evangelist Ray Comfort told us bananas were atheists’ worst nightmare because they were proof — proof! — that evolution didn’t happen? God must have designed the banana, he argued, because it was so clearly made with humans in mind.

snytiger6 9 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, it's an incontrovertible truth that broccoli is cruciferous.

I want Ray to explain coconuts, not that his response would have anything other than entertainment value.

Yes, that would probably be very funny.

Technically, broccoli is not only proof that evolution happens, but that it's so simple even a caveman can do it.

Pardon me, so simple even a human can cause it.

And God sayeth upon the 4th. day, " Let us create idiots in our owneth images and let them be named so as Kent Hovid, Ken Ham and the like so that for Our amusement they shall, forever debate that We hath created both Bananas and Broccoli but everything else We have not created but allowed to evolve instead."

Where is the oh brother emoji when you need it.

These twisted idiots make me furious.

Don't get angry... just laugh at him/them.

And evolution can be quick. Some swifts, in Texas I believe, have adapted to living under road bridges by growing shorter wings within a few decades. Of course now, with climate change, they can no longer migrate and may die off.

It is amazing just how ignorant these creationists are of the theory they desparately want to disprove. They are ignorant about science generally, and about evolutionary theory in particular. I am reminded of a quote made by Philip E. Johnson who is considered to be the Father of the Intelligent Design movement: "Our strategy has been to change the subject a bit, so that we can get the issue of intelligent design, which really means the reality of God, before the academic world and into the schools." "This isn't really, and never has been, a debate about science." (It's actually 2 quotes from different times).

I wonder how cubby feels about that (and isn't he dead?)

g

That's actually true and green beans are proof that gravity is a hoax.

Yes then it was pointed out to Kent several (hundred) times that bananas are a cultivated plant, eugenically bred by people with people in mind, and that they are so far removed from their original shape and form that new banana tree can only be grown from cuttings from old banana trees.
Likewise Broccoli is a hybrid plant and a very new one at that brought about and copyrighted by Albert Broccolli senior the grandfather of Cubbi Broccolli producer of the Bond films .
It is a cross between wild cabbage and cauliflower (a plant first cultivated by the Romans but popularizedd in the 18th century,) and the result then cross bread again with Chinese floretts by Broccolli in the 1970s, this second hybridisation makes the bitter vegitable far more palitable.
However Cubbi Broccolli's claim that Broccolli is named after his grandfather is false, it was purely a case of Nomative determinism, the word comes from the Italian for "Little sprout"

@creative51
@unpretentious
@Joanne
@Hankster
This is another 'banana' story.
For the same reason.
"Broccoli resulted from breeding of cultivated Brassica crops in the northern Mediterranean starting in about the sixth century BC.... Broccoli has its origins in primitive cultivars grown in the Roman Empire."

Also see Richard Dawkins The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution

Logic is such a strange concept to idiots.

'Wisdom and goodness to the vile seem vile;Filths savour but themselves...'
King Lear act 4 scene 2

I never did really trust broccoli.

I knew they were venomous, but didn't realized the venom was out of claws on the rear legs. Likely an evolved defense against predators... very interesting.

@snytiger6 i think this was intended for the platypus comment. no big deal.

@hankster Oops. No idea how that happened.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:520909
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.