Agnostic.com

53 27

Perhaps I’m not as confident in my ability to discuss religion or philosophy or even politics. I find myself simply not discussing these things.

I think there is nothing at all wrong with holding my own opinion without revealing my personal thoughts on a given subject.

Am I being too self protective?

Lightupmylife 7 Aug 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You must splay yourself openly, nakedly, revealing your very soul for all to see. Break past your comfort zone. It's the only way to grow and develop yourself.

Nahhh, scratch that. Just do whatever you're comfortable with.

I find it deplorable... but that's my opinion... lol
Bite me....

"To thine ownself be true"

Polonius.

It's important to show religious zealots that the number of atheists is increasing every year, particularly with millennials. Show atheists are in their midst.

On dating sites, I choose "Atheist" under religion. Also wrote in my profile, "I'm politically liberal and not religious." I'm out and proud.

To my amusement, two Baptist ministers met me to try to convert me. They didn't stand a chance. This week I rejected a religious nut on Fitness Singles:

Dave,

Not interested. "With God in your life everything is possible," you wrote. Sounds like proselytizing. Since age 13, I have been a strong atheist.

We live too far apart to develop a relationship. Good luck with your search.

Kathleen

Why bother mentioning the distance? I liked the first reason just fine.

I agree. I have found myself typing a response to posts occasionally and then thinking "Do I really think this will be useful... meh." and deleting the whole thing.

Same. Just did that this morning. No longer in need of wasting energy.

@OldMetalHead took me an arguement or two to figure that out😳 but that goes into the comment decision process as well.🙂

Whatever makes you happy! 🙂

On one hand, do what's most comfortable. On the other hand, if it's bothering you, then maybe you should push your boundaries a bit. Were you prompted to ask this question of your own accord, or was it from someone saying something about your apparent lack of posting such opinions?

there is no requirement whatsoever that you have to defend or state your position on such matters.

Pick your battles. But it's good to discuss and debate. You're not going to learn or grow unless you challenge your notions. The world and all that goes on in it is simply too much for one mind to comprehend. We need to share our experiences and insights. It encourages us to broaden our minds. Sometimes an opinion held, is an opinion not open to change.

There is nothing wrong with it, but if you are in a position where you know and like Christians in your life who are unaware. Do you want their understanding of atheism and atheists to solely be based on what they hear at the pulpit?

Right on. The people in the pews are so conditioned and brain washed they are led to believe that non-believers are working for the devil.

No, you're just being boring.
If everybody here took no positions, didn't risk disagreement, would anybody be here? Friction and 'controversy' is what makes it interesting and how we learn new things.
My sister-in-law has drunk the Trump Kool-Aid and we text about it sometimes; if we were afraid to bring it up there'd be no conversation. But since we enjoy our interactions on all kinds of things--and trust each other to be respectful--we talk about it. None of us would be able to exchange ideas if all we were interested in hearing was 100% agreement.

@Lightupmylife I fear she's QAnon...beyond hope

It is called Wisdom ! Everyone has an opinion, but no one owns truth. all are really the same in their humanity.

mzee Level 7 Aug 13, 2020

I thought wisdom was knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad.

There are enough things in life that drag us out of our comfort zones without volunteering to take on any unnecessary crap. Do whatever feels best for you.

Deb57 Level 8 Aug 13, 2020

You're being very wise .

If you don’t feel comfortable doing something then don’t do it. There is no compunction to reveal our thoughts on all topics here, or anywhere else. Some may say that is being timid...I don’t agree, we all need to follow our own paths and instincts, and not feel we should be doing something because everyone else is. When you feel there is something you want to contribute or share, and feel comfortable doing so, that will be the right time to speak up.

I don’t see a thing wrong with it at all . Only talk about what you feel comfortable talking about . You are only placing unneeded stress on yourself.

This is true. I find that many people debating or arguing religion actually had a preconceived idea to start with. Why would I go on and on with them when I know the outcome they desire? Just take Evangelical religion for a moment.

Your perfect god decided that humans should get here through incest. Believers point out that mankind was sinful. What sin was it? God got so angry he wanted to destroy every one with water. When the 8 people he saved emerge from the Ark he (god) once again wants to populate the earth through incest. This process is repeated another time with Lot and his daughters. At this point we either have to admit that the story is true -- or not. If the story is not true then the bible book is done. It tells you only lies.

I haven't read all the comments yet, nr have I read your bio.
My remarks here will, therefor, be generalities.
Your situation, whatever the similarities to other's circumstances, is unique.
Furthermore, your relationship to each individual in your life is unique also.
One size fits all doesn't work here.

You will need to judge, on an individual basis, how you relate to each person in your life based on many factors.

One thing you can do, is ask questions of the person you're talking to.
Make comments. Not necessarily confrontation. The idea here is to try and help a person start thinking. You can't argue a person ot of her/his beliefs. But you may be able to start a person questioning, little by little, what they believe.

Noah's flood, for example...
What did the animals eat after they left the ark?
What about the pandas who only eat bamboo shots?
Where did all the water come from? And where did it go?
And so on.

Good questions in the 'style' of the Socratic method.

Maybe you're just an introvert. If you don't want to be all the time do what I do... drink every now and then 🙂

No, especially if you live in Texas.

All my exes are in Texas (just one but I like saying it) ! 🙂

This meme is a typical response to one of my 'philosophies' -- "Why should anyone suffer (what they consider to be) foolishness in silence?" (I don't)

While I recognize I'm more comfortable with conflict than some, I advocate Critical Thinking (not claiming to be an expert). I hope that the word "argument" is seen and used (especially among non-believers) more in the ameliorative than the pejorative, meaning disagreement doesn't have to be 'battles' -- so long as the issues are not used as weapons against the individual(s)

hey, and whats wrong with not even having an opinion sometimes? 😀
stealin the meme btw, ty!

I believe there's nothing wrong with your position. That is a very personal decision every person will have to make and that will depend on your type of personality, if you need to be self-protective, it is your choice. Nobody has the right to force you to do the contrary or criticize you, least to say label you. Be safe!

I don't like to pick fights but also I don't want to leave the false impression that I agree with some view I abhor by failing to speak up. My biggest problem is that I often don't know where to draw the line.

God no. I don't think we learn anything from internet "discussions." There is nothing wrong with having opinions without revealing your personal thoughts. But I believe we do need to continue to learn and question our opinions. I think that can be done far more profitably by reading books from reliable source. We are so eager to express our opinions, but not so eager to develop those opinions.

You probably have both feelings and thoughts about past events, about possible future events, as well as about situations you are in. -Many people will talk your ears off about theirs, and they may later think you a wonderful conversationalist. Potential leaders listen.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:524225
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.