Agnostic.com

34 29

"Pray for Louisiana and Texas"
This was a Facebook post by a woman I've known for many years and I was just about to ask her what good praying would do if god is the one that brought the hurricane to Texas and Louisiana.
She wouldn't get to use the Man's Free Will defense. I decided that like most discussions trying to understand people's religion, it would do more harm than good and I didn't want to mess up our friendship. So I'm venting here. Thanks for the forum.

lerlo 8 Aug 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tell people "praying is challenging gods will". If you're asking him to change his mind with prayer aren't you challenging his wants? Aren't you, in fact, saying "my wants are better than gods"?

They don't like it much because it makes them have to think. lol

Leelu Level 7 Aug 27, 2020

Good one! I'll have to try that one if I ever decide to dive back into that kind of conversation. Of course you can't do it after the fact, like after a disaster. You can do it before a football game where both sides are praying because maybe god hasn't decided yet. 🤣

What a great response! Will definitely have to use it should the opportunity arise.

If God knows everything, then he already knows if you'll pray hard enough that he'll be persuaded by your prayers. But wait, since he already knows if he's going to intervene and what will happen then how could your praying help? Oh but then, wait, you can't not pray cause he knew you were going to. So then if you did refrain from praying and there weren't enough prayers for him to intervene then did you prove god wasn't omniscient? But that can't be right, so he knew you weren't going to pray. None of this shit makes any sense!!! 🤯

@lerlo Yeah, I often wondered if people on both sidelines were praying, and god was inclined to listen to the prayers of one side over the other, wouldn't that mean he was partial to that team? If so, wouldn't they win all their games forever? Or is it just which side prays more? I'm so confused.

Good call. It's often not worth it to engage believers with such questions. You're welcome to vent here.

They mean well. I would prefer saying, hope Texas and Louisiana are prepared for this storm and hope there's not too much loss of life.

Nice. Your suggested saying shows compassion without delusion.

very well put!!!

I sincerely empathize!
Trying to educate and or appeal to deluded minds is difficult at best. How many rings does it take for a phone to be answered in the "hands" of a non-existent entity? How many tragic events will occur before an omnipotent, merciful deity answers prayers?

This is kind of the go to meme to post on shit like that.

unless of course you don't want to ruin a friendship

@lerlo If that would ruin the friendship I have some bad news for you...

@JeffMurray I shouldnt listen to you? Did you even read my post or hurting a friend's feeling doesn't matter to you?

@lerlo I did. What I was alluding to was that if you're walking on eggshells all the time, it's already not a friendship.

@JeffMurray not sure where you got all the time out of it, she made one online post and lives 2000 miles away

@lerlo Oh this is an online-only friendship? Regardless, you are walking on eggshells so much so that you needed to vent here about censoring yourself. That doesn't seem healthy for you. I say post what you wanted to, and whatever happens, you're better off.

@JeffMurray thank you Dr.

@lerlo I'm a nurse, not a doctor. Unless you were being facetious. In which case I'm sorry I bothered, I was only trying to help.

I understand what you are going through. You can't fix stupid. I come here and vent as well. There's nothing you can say to make them use their brains to figure things out.

Yeah, I've never-minded people praying, as long as they also try being helpful in other ways, like donating to the food bank and other relief efforts. When people use it as an excuse to avoid being helpful, thats when I tend to get ornery.

"I've never-minded people praying, as long as they also try being helpful in other ways"

I don't mind as much when they try to be helpful in other way either.

I feel the same way because so many of them are hypocrites

The Christians voted for Trump and he says Climate Change is a Chinese hoax. Don't the Christians realize the hurricanes are getting more powerful due to climate change?

no Climate Change is a Democrat hoax.

Coronavirus is the Chinese hoax.

Someone has to keep his insanity straight. Guess I drew that lot.

Of course not. They think they are getting worse because two boys kissed each other.

I just don't even address such posts. They can do nothing to change the weather, and if praying makes them feel better, they can knock themselves out doing so, as far as I care. I only become irritated when people declare they are praying instead of actually doing something that could improve a bad situation.

Deb57 Level 8 Aug 29, 2020

I agree with you, it probably was not worth it. Many times, after a tornado, I've seen a news interview where a person is thanking god for still having a house when their next door neighbor's house was demolished. I guess they thought their next door neighbor was not in god's favor.

I know exactly how you feel. It really gets to me to hear that kind of nonsense!

When I see this stuff I just figure the person enjoys lying to themselves to feel better because no one else is offering them comfort. Possibly religion is the symptom of broken community and lack of supportive relationships for followers.

well of course, which is why some people similarly fall back to god when dying

@lerlo I guess the question is -- what can we do as individuals to be the change that needs to happen, to allow others to move away from these traditional social support structures?

@sarbot zero. A person has to take the time and realize what bulshit it is. Just like we can't change racism in this country.

@lerlo our better yet when they are incarcerated and come up for parole. Ttey have found god now and read the Bible daily for forgiveness.

@Gsanders55 some have but that won't help them get a job on the outside so their choices are limited

@lerlo I think the answer isn't zero, we as individuals can at least be the change we want to see. Possibly we can reach out to others or be there for each other.

@sarbot Yes we can change ourselves but your original comment mentioned moving others away from traditional norms and for that my answer is still zero.

It makes me so happy to read that I am not the only one who goes thru this type of situation with friends or relatives. It is getting harder & harder for me to bite my tongue when I hear such nonsense coming from my loved ones saying they are "blessed". Thank you for sharing.

The situation is that xtians believe the world is wicked, and they believe a scary creature named satan has control of the earth, including the weather. (Why then did the omnipotent god that supposedly created the earth just hand it over to a thug?)
So when a disastrous natural phenomenon occurs, they blame satan and pray to their loving kind benevolent god for help. It's like an abused wife turning to her abusive husband for relief. Relief ain't coming. The brainwashed idiots just can't deal with their own mortality so they continue to believe in a god, and that praying to him/her/it will change things in their favor.

When one prays for something AFTER a disaster, just what are they praying for?

I've asked the same, and have had other questions when they pray BEFORE a disaster...lol

I don't back down lol

God wants to destroy humans. So god is love.
I don’t want that love.

well this is a dating site... 😉

Because God doesn't know if you don't tell him. Just because he's omniscient, that doesn't mean he knows everything.

om·nis·cient
/ämˈnisēənt,ämˈniSHənt/

adjective
knowing everything.

I have an ongodly number of Xian/Repub friends on FB and I have to constantly eat my aggravation over what they post. I agree, it's not worth losing a dozen friends over the Jesus sh-t.

I've lost the trumpers, it's not about politics it's about intelligence. It used to be one side won, the other lost and you might not agree with their policies but they were qualified.

@lerlo Yes, back in the days when Rs were relatively reasonable. Those days are long gone. It's also notable to point out that when you lose the evangelicals, you lose the Trumpers at the same time. It's very efficient when you get to put out all the trash at once.

@Sgt_Spanky Thank you for that. I remember when GWB II was POTUS, I didn't really like him that much, but I couldn't muster myself to really dislike him. I voted for his father. I remember when-- and this is especially rich now-- Jerry Falwell's Moral Majority signed up millions of bible morons for the Republican Party to elect Reagan. That was the beginning of the end of the older Republican ideals.

yeah , there's been a lot of that "pray for ..." . <sigh>

One of my FB friends made a similar comment ending with the words " Pray that god is merciful".

Wait... wha ? So that implies that her god has some kind of control over the hurricane !?

Then why the hell did mister loving god send it in the first place !!?? Duh.

Twisted non-logic. Hopeless. Like you, to keep the peace, I refrained from what I really wanted to say.

I was tempted to say a little prayer yesterday that the hurricane would wash out to sea, the evil bitch I was first married to, she stole my kids and moved them to the US 27 years ago because she wanted to be an American GOP. I realize that it wouldn't help to say a little prayer but it couldn't hurt either. 😀

Your welcome

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 27, 2020

I have attempted to talk to certain people and explain clearly and logically why prayer makes no sense whatsoever but their minds are closed in regards to this .

Reason and logic are lost on such people.

I try not to debate or discuss how ridiculous my loved ones sound when they talk about how "blessed" they are but I really try to bite my tongue because you're right....their minds are CLOSED to logic.

. . . ALL events, situations, even ones that seem 'bad or 'negative' are for the greater good even if our small minds cannot reason it to be so at the time it occurs, often we're just not blessed with seeing the whole picture or how it fits into the greater scheme

If you believe that deadly hurricanes, hundreds of thousands of people dying in a pandemic, floods, tornadoes and anything else that destroys property and life is for the common good, then you just are bad but apparently have a big mind.

@lerlo . . . in NO way do I diminish or intend to trivialize the horrible suffering and tragedy that these people are going through, they have suffered greatly and absolutely NEED all our help to get their lives back in order and back on track, that's not the point, people's lives are upended by catastrophe and sometimes that sets them on a different pathway in life and it can definitely be for the better

What "greater good"?

@thundergod well it's nice that you backed off that All catastrophe is for the greater good. Unfortunately when you are destitute and hit by a hurricane in Louisiana the odds of your life getting better are pretty slim.

Wait, what? Am I reading stuff about intent, propose, or a "plan" for our existence? I think you're on the wrong website...

Oh, I thought you were being sarcastic. I take back my 'thumbs up'.

@lerlo . . . do you have a problem with trying to be positive? is there something wrong with trying to improve a negative situation?

@lerlo, @JeffMurray . . . maybe you are on the wrong wrong website, I'm pretty sure this isn't a god haters club, it's inclusive of everyone, and open minded individuals, not just a place for bigotry, it's a open ended narrative where people are free from bullies and violence and where people are safe to express their point of view and exchange ideas

@thundergod just a problem with saying that all bad is really good--I accept things that are reasonable and that have some empathy. Just like people saying everything happens for a reason--what's the reason that little kids are born into starvation in India? Try and find some good in that

@thundergod actually if you were to read a previous post of mine, there are many people here that are merely mad at god for some reason--they just say they don't believe--so yes, for some it is a god hater's club. Pretty sure you were allowed to express your point of view, just as I was able to express my complete disdain for it.

I completely understand your situation after a proper venting I hope the decompression was successful. 😁

Nah, but I had to tell somebody 🤪🤪

Both are Republican states so trump will be sure to send them fema asap

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:528425
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.