Agnostic.com

19 5

Homeschool religion

I homeschool my two young children and i try to add in religious study once or twice a month. We also study different cultures and how religion impacts and influences cultures. I want them exposed to as many different ideas as possible as they grow and not just my views of the world. Do you think this is a good idea or should I do away with this?

JenMorris 4 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We also homeschool. My oldest (10) has spent half his life living abroad, so Christianity was somewhat foreign to him while Islam and Buddhism in particular, have always been familiar to him. Here in the states he has gone to Sunday school with friends a bunch of times. He’s no longer interested in that. Recently I had him take a 6 week world religions class on OutSchool. I think I will have him do a bit of reading at some future date but we probably won't go too much more in depth than that. I do actively teach him humanism.

I raised my daughter who is 39 now and a proud atheist by exposing her to different religion's because I felt it was her choice. I was raised Catholic but realized in 6th grade it's all BS. My mother switched me to public school❤

Sounds like you are doing the job 110% the right way.
Even though my daughter went to Primary School, I also taught her at home as well.
By the time she was old enough to go to Preschool and then Kindergarten she was well and truly able to read, write, could do the basics of Mathematics and was, to the extent of her comprehensive abilities to distinguish between what was real and what was fantasy as in religions, etc.
A child's mind is a very hungry thing, it thirsts for knowledge and the more you feed it the truths and realities the better it will grow and expand.
Remember as well that they are still children so foster their natural curious natures, answer their questions, no matter how embarrassing they may be at times, with honesty and in words and terms that they can easily comprehend and understand.

I think it is fine but make sure you teach diversity. Avoid any ideas of their being a "true or right" religion and the it so that is made very plain.

It is important to be able to recognize mental illness when you encounter it!

As the parent who raised my children, it felt natural doing several years of homeschooling.. Religion had been ‘explained’ from the time our oldest asked ‘why do all those buildings have little ‘t’s on them?’

Never anything formal regarding religion/s, though; all are a waste of headspace. As you’d ‘include religion’ in your children’s educations, those ‘of religion’ would not show the same respect for those of no religion, like us.

Give them your honest take on religion, then avoid it. They’ll put it together with enough time to live, vote, and appreciate not being tied to it.

Varn Level 8 Sep 10, 2020

Studying religion as part of the anthropology of other people/races/cultures is a legitimate educational goal so long as you make it clear that none of it is real.

Many University anthropology departments offer a course in World Religions. I took one once. Like abnormal psych classes, it teaches you what you're up against!

It is good, as long as you present it as mythology, not as reality. 🙂

It is essential. It teaches your children to look at all sides, analyse them and draw their own conclusions. By extension, they learn to apply this to many things, especially politics, which itself is a "belief system".

I would not call it religious study. It is part of history and it is fine to talk about religions as one of the man created legends, myths and stories that are part of human history as all man made creations, teach facts, this will prevent you from inserting your personal views.

If your showing them that people are a product of their own environment, it will help them to realize religion is simply a culture believe, and they'll view Christianity and Judaism and Islam as the same way most people view Greek mythology.
Pretty cool.

I think it's a great idea! Religion is best understood within the context of the culture that it simultaneously creates and is created by.

I think once or twice a month ongoing is a bit much to focus on religions, unless your children are older and have a keen interest in it. Maybe interspersed with different cultures or geography or something it would be okay. I'd say give an overview now and then, but maybe not focus on it too much or they may think its a requirement to choose a religion. Those are my thoughts anyway.

I didn't home school my kids, but my daughter used say we were "home churched" when asked. I basically just taught them about right and wrong, no religion involved, but my kids knew that many of their friends were of various faiths. We discussed the idea of God when they were young, when they realized that some people believe in god, but Mom and Dad didn't. I didn't focus too much on the various religions, though I think it was covered for a couple of weeks in middle school. (Public)

My feeling is that religion isn't something that needs to be learned about in depth, necessarily, just maybe an overview, if you're raising them to be secular, but want them to be able to compare freely the religions vs secularism.

I say spend the time teaching logic courses. It's way more practical, and IMO can do just as much or more to promote free thinking. There is plenty of time for a comparative religion course later (maybe from someone in the field).

Why do you homeschool ? I don't know anyone who home schools their children here but it seems to be quite common in the USA.

i home school my grandson and its not like it was a few yrs ago its quite structured lessons and classes and deadlines he is mildly autistic and was being bullied and he had learned he could throw a fit and get out of class so now he can't get away with that it has a down side too

@whiskywoman Good on you. That is quite a responsibility. Not something I would care to do.

@Moravian im old lol and its amazing how things have changed his studies are harder than when I went to college and I took statistics and other math and was an honors student and he does trig in his reg lessons....and the algebra is way more advanced than anything I did in highschool

Yes, teach history and especially that of religion.

Teach the history. For sure. They need to know the truth.

You have to do what you feel is best for your kids. Suffice to say, knowledge is usually a good thing.

One of my coworkers like myself is a non believer, along with his spouse. They have never made no mention of religion to their 15 and 13 year old sons, just decided to let them decide. And they are both smart, great kids that are well rounded and very tolerant of others. Goes to show you don’t need “Religion to have morals”.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:532795
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.