Agnostic.com

28 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why read “bible verses” when I can just look around me and see a whole lotta people not being protected by anyone/anything? 🙄

@K9Kohle789 That's George Michael's line.

If a talking snake, ever takes me aside and says "Yo! Dumbo! This is the tree of knowledge. Want to eat some fruit? It'll wise your dumb ass up."

After a second hit of those drugs, I'll be chowing down on fruit. I always trust talking snakes in fruit trees.

Bible says pretty much whatever the reader wants it to say

Ain’t that the truth?

I'm going to register to a diabetes website and post a recipe for Death by Chocolate.

Biblical spells of protection belong on a Xian message board or maybe on World of Warcraft. Why even post this shit here?

This is a site of opinions, yes? I just wanted to know people's opinions instead of having to ward off their ire.

@IAJO163 It's just that sometimes we have to add the punchline ourselves, when the featured material isn't our cup of tea. Some of us were made so jumpy by what we've seen during our lives, we need reassurance an OP isn't button pushing.

These verses weren't originally intended as propaganda. The big shouts in Korea regarded their "audience" as receptive to propaganda and that seems to be assumed also by some of these bite-size web page compilers.

They should have prefaced it and titled it more explicitly to engage the intellects of those that are in to that sort of thing already (and in a position to take or leave it knowingly); as for Koreans they'll learn the hard way like I did.

Religious authorities and media controllers, and auditorium comperes, assume that a power differential and the abolition of intellect and good boundaries are essential constituents in religion (even before you examine other pitfalls). McLuhan saw it coming and he said it will end in tears.

I actually scrolled through all of those looking for the punchline, but one never came. I'm confused at the point of posting this on a site full of agnostics and athiests.

Could it be that He, Him, the Lord, and the evil one are just YOU? The Gnostic gospels said as much but they were conveniently removed from the Biblical cannon ages ago. And you replace He, Him, the Lord, and the evil one with you, you, you, and you these things make much more sense - except of course you are fallible so you're on your own.

Ultimately the only verse you need is:

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

because as has famously been said, "the only thing we have to fear... is fear itself". Thanks FDR!

Yeah but a weirding module still comes in handy.

@oldFloyd and a little bit of spice in your life...

@prometheus the problem is every time I fold space it leaves the crease, maybe I should cut back on the spice milage add some rosemary or maybe some basil. 😉

OOOOOOOh I love a good sermon.
Especially in an Agnostic/ Atheistic community. Just gets my panties in a bunch.

JK.
What in the world, in your seemingly holier than though mindset makes you think any one. No really, ANY ONE wants to be 'preached' to Here.
We get enough of that shit in the real world from the deluded. And have to then have to read your propaganda. And yes, this shit is exactly that. This place is for those whom of which have questions about their faith, religion, beliefs etc. NOT to be 'preached' to.
I will gladly entertain a conversation about religion, or faith any time.

But to straight post up a, for lack of a better word, a 'sermon' . Piss off.

I amazed that on a site full of intellectual substance no one understands the context of the post. This is actually an ad that was on almost every page I visited so I decided to post it to see if anyone else had seen it. It's a subtle Trumpism.

God was a useful concept before we invented condoms, we can protect ourselves now. No need for Vatican roulette or anything.
I’m surprised that the people most into abstinence also claim that a virgin gave birth, so they lie when they say abstinence is 100% effective, if they believe their other stories.

They also don't know what the word "begotten" means.

You may want to look Agnostic up in a dictionary .

Thanks ... but no. Not even a little.

Don't need the human crap in my life.

I get enough Christian bullshit from talking to my sister. I don't want or need them on a site for agnostics/atheists.

God, whichever god it is, is doing a terrible job at protecting us! Being aware that the bible was man-made in the first Nicaea Council , explains every mistake and deceive...

Yeah, well, God isn't very good at his job.

Yes, God is terrible when it comes to godding.

Where is the punchline? This post has no point. If this is your attempt to "witness," you've badly missed the mark.

Some get it, some don't. I won't judge.

@IAJO163 fair enough. I apparently don't get it. Not too proud to admit that.

Wall to wall bullshit, and the streets are paved with faeces.

Who cares!!!

Why do you not find something of interest that is Germaine to those who use this site!!!

If you read those with Trump and/or his supporters in mind, you readily see how utterly empty and dishonest the verses are. Shame on Microsoft for pandering to the stupid and helping to delude them.

God apparently just LOVES ads on Women's Day magazine. I never did see the article.

Dear Kevin, I regret that such confused and mean-spirited posts accrued. This site is often visited by Christian trolls and the link is a red flag that brings out PTSD flashbacks. So, don't take it personally. The take-home is the need for clear communication. Describing your motivation would have helped, as you replied to TristanNuvo.

This was definitely a fun post. Apparently many didn't understand my tagline and expressed anger at the post instead of dissecting it as some did. To my understanding this is not a place to hide from religion but to discuss the absurdities of it. Y'all with me?

You should have posted it in "Just for Laughs"!

its so easy to forget that the religious are the most vilified in the Bible, and the NT is literally the record of the implosion of a Theocracy

@bbyrd009 Yes. As a neutral enough commentator I think you are entitled to say that much. This by no means commits or pressurises anyone. McLuhan warned against pretend christians hijacking media (a policy pushed by Paul VI) because it would destroy society which it has. The rot goes back well before Tertullian and has been pushed by Jansen, Pascal, Edwards, Robertson, the Manifest Destiny Falwells, Teilhard. Public names we detest and their lesser known minders / fixers. The only honest response now (as ever) is agnostic whether we were former church members or not. I am a baggage apostate. Those people have been harming us all our lives with their combined moralising and intensity on behalf of their minders / handlers.

@HenAgnDon i know the wolves will rush in as soon as i leave, not sparing the flock eh

@IAJ0163 Dude, you are a christian hiding behind an atheist label, trying to make us believe that you are not christian.

We don't go to your church and tell you about a 4.5 billion year old earth or try to make your kids non-christian, so get out of our face with your christian bullshit.

Every other thing you post on this site has to do with bible verses. begone.

Not so. Once you get to know my sense of humor?

Why is it that we leave the religious people alone and yet they feel the need to bother us and waste our time?

MizJ Level 8 Sep 12, 2020

Yes, it certainly is. Do these verses strike a nerve with you? Not too pleasantly, I'd guess.

Thank you for your wisdom!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:533231
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.