Agnostic.com

53 2

What are your thoughts on online dating?

Has online dating made finding a potential mate easier or harder? Do people actually make real connections?

Tutankhamun 7 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It’s just so fake and twisted people loose all manners and s

Gosh...I hope the picture isn't that dismal?

Zoosk costs too much for what you get. There are lots of profiles on there of inactive users. One person they keep suggesting to me states on his profile that he has left because it is a waste of money. You can spend a lot of time on people who don't exist. Another one tells me that someone that I like, likes me back. The only thing is, I never liked anyone on that site. I only put up a profile and didn't pay. They are just trying to tempt me into paying. It's a business and I don't think that they care about you meeting anyone, they only care about you giving them money.

Yea I have found a lot of pay sites are like this. It's all business for them. I suppose a few do find love though.

The thought of online dating scares me. I don't know where I am supposed to place my penis.

@kauva...there is a question mark after ...'penis!' That way maybe you can get instructions!

@moonmaid FYI - never use the word "hard" in any answer referring to the word penis. you just lost every juvenile mind in the lot as their minds furiously engaged in finding witty sexual responses.

Me too, I had a good giggle at these posts but thought I'd leave you guys to it 😉
I wanted to say, and if it's not hard leave it in the pants lols. Oh and now I have; terrible really.

Yes its worth trying

Since I don't feel connections irl it really hasn't affected much

Why do you want know?..are you working for Zuckerbeg? Cambridge Analytic? Putin?

No. No I am not. That is my final answer LOL

@Tutankhamun goood!!!# Lololololololololol

I married someone who I met on Prodigy in 1994. We are still together.

When someone figures it out... please let me know...

When they let you know please let me know

@Tutankhamun Will do!

I've seen no difference between online and physical space regarding my luck with dating. I keep hoping that, at least, when online, a lady will have a chance to get to know my mind before my appearance turns her off to much. Then again I do realise she's being set up for disappointment this way.

Don't write that in stone.

@Freedompath awrh, thanks. ?

Don't be too hard on yourself!

I think that most dating sites are either overpriced, and don't work; or they are full of scammers and bots, and are a waste of time. The one boyfriend I have had so far I met irl, after having given up on dating sites.

Scammers, yes. Ran into way more of those than I thought I would.

I admit I'm not looking for love at all. It isn't in my profile and not why I joined. I'm not on any dating site.This is the first time in my life that I've lived alone. Finding out who I am is an amazing journey even if I find people trying to reign me in.
I'm going to be 67 in July, been married twice, had two very long term relationships and for awhile I had a good buddy.
What I want now since I have my own place, retirement after 49 years on a job, and the freedom to spend my days my way, is to find interesting people of all shapes, sizes, ages, and individualities to converse with. No game players allowed.
So many older folks have shut down. Some think I'm crazy for taking classes, being on the computer and not owning a TV! I'm so deprived! And GASP! I'm not a Christian!
I have a magpie's curiousity, strong opinions and a belief that conversations are not sparring matches or a game of one upmanship. How's that for honest?

I did here. Talked to fellow member here for couple of months, became friends and I decided to fly out to West Coast to meet him. Spent a few weeks out there. Wasn't a match. It's possible to meet people here. Stay on messaging - no email or texting - then talk on phone. Safest way to avoid scammers. Been there done that. Used to do the standard dating sites. Cancelled them all. You meet people if you want to date but meeting someone with your non-beliefs, political stance and social justice concerns are few and far between.

Yea I agree. I'm in the process of cancelling all of mine too. It hasn't been a fun experience at all

I have been on this dating site for nearly a month and have not had any connections except one. He kept saying GB which put me right off! Some of those people who uttter that phrase are not the supposedly God fearing ones they want to portray (from my experience). I'm surrounded by friends and family who love to say "God Bless" I was so determined not to say it and I never do. I feel like a hypocrite saying prayers and going to ochurch I felt was more of a tradition. I've gone off the radar!
Getting back to the question whether online dating makes it easier/harder to find a potential partner- I say it has not made any difference to me.

Siste Level 3 Apr 11, 2018

Hey siste. Chat to me

I met my husband online. OkCupid, I really like their matching score. It's been extremely accurate.

Wow really? I need to get some tips from your husband!!!

@Tutankhamun well for one, read the profile, send an introduction highlighting that you have at least one thing in common, and ask a follow up question or two on things you read in the profile. Having a complete profile helps. And on OkCupid I highly recommend answering as many of the questions as you're comfortable with, it is very accurate if you answer honestly.

I was never a fan. Moot point now.

I hear that

Meet my husband though plenty of fish. We've been together 9 years.

Unsure on that one.

Statistically, it appears that we’re just as lonely now as we’ve ever been.

I believe that

I have seen a large uptick in profiles that say “ non religious”. Now that doesn’t mean atheist ecessarily, but it’s a good trend.

I am still working on it keeps coming up with 404 error message Hahah

Rosh Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

I was on ok cupid....i guess I'm too fussy. I did just end.a 6 month relatio ahip with a widower on there but i ended it. He had too many issues for me.

I have not been interested, but I may change my mind. A retired friend was very serious and met a few people that she jived with and made a few friends! But, she made it fun and met up with many, many men, as some had ulterior motives and needed to be alimated! She finally settled to dating, as she was having a great time! Me...I will report, after I try it!

I'm all for looking for someone online for my specific wants, but I could never have an online only relationship of any kind.

It's O-K. There are better venues out there.

Finances can be an issue with dating later in life. I just assume like me, everyone starts saving in 2nd grade, and so by the time you are 60 plus $$$ are not an issue, but obviously it can be. I'm not above chatting about finances, if that offends someone, so be it. In my realm these days it is not men alone who pay for dates. If I choose where we eat, I pay; if she chooses where we eat, she pays. But I am never a king looking for a princess.

Yes and many guys in their 40s that are “retired”. Meaning medically. Also many over 50 raising grandchildren because their kids are strung out or just deadbeats.
Lots of photoshopped pictures.
It’s easy to tell quickly if they don’t read your profile.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54890
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.