Agnostic.com

76 14

Although I don't believe the world is ending soon , I believe there's a God, a force that has power over human. Just like we have superiority over animals, someone/something has power over us too. What do you think?

nanabockz 4 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

76 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 29, 2020

No. I don’t think this at a all. Superiority over animals? No. Humans have been instrumental in singlehandedly destroying animal habitats all over the globe. I think believing in a god is a fatuous human thought

I think thats very irrational of you. Considering that the only power your god has over you, is what you give it. To give it any power at all, seems to me, to just be a relinguishment of responsibility for yourself.

No evidence to support your theory.

I think not.

I think you are wrong. Science shows us that there is no reason to insert a god--especially one that involves itself in human affairs. So, why insert one?

Okay, what really differentiates us from animals is a superior intellect. From early times mankind made tools to improve his life. He made axes, spears, baskets and eventually fire that made his life better. Now man looks at the things he made and then he looks at the world around him. Then he thinks (because he can) "Well I do not make anything for no purpose. I don't make an axe I cannot use, even the painting that I put on the cave wall gives me and mine something to look at. So why would there be trees, rocks and all this other stuff if something had not made it for me to use?"
Now here is how that kind of thinking gets dangerous.
Imagine a puddle, now stretch your imagination a little further and give that puddle self-awareness. It sits there and thinks "Wow this little hole fits me perfectly. It must have been made for me. There must be some kind of divine being that made this hole and I am the thing it made it for. I must also therefore have some divine purpose, otherwise, why would it have made the hole? I must be truly blessed and I am content to live my life in this hole as the divine being meant me to." Whilst all the time the sun has been shinning on the puddle and he is getting smaller. Very soon the little puddle will be no more. Even if he could do anything about it, he would not because he believes that the world was created especially for him.

I don't think there's anything supernatural that has superiority.

The only beings that have power over us are other humans who are wealthy and/or are in positions of authority in society.

I think it's bullshit 😒.

Pig swill.

A god is by definition permanently omnipotent and immortal. God therefore does not commit suicide.

Nanbockz is saying the god has power already over all humans - so it is not relevant that she may or may not  be giving "power" away.

Two questions arise: is there a god or not and, if there is, is he interested to take any additional power that may be giving.

My own conviction is that there is no god. No power can be given to, no power can be accepted by a non-existent god.

The something is the universe - see glennlab's comment. If our little world and the life upon it is merely here by the act of some superior force, then that force is subject to the universal laws of existence.

power = cruelty; the interconnection of all things breeds equality.

mzee Level 7 Nov 12, 2020

power = cruelty; the interconnection of all things breeds equality.

mzee Level 7 Nov 12, 2020

I think that's delusional. That wouldn't be a god by your own comparison. It would just be a more evolved life form. Let me spell it out for you in simple terms. There are no such things as the following: God, Gods, Demons, Goddesses and spirits. Learn science.

I cannot say whether there is or is no a god but if there is a god then i don't think he would ever send people to a torture chamber called hell for not minding him. I would never even imagine doing that to my kids and no matter how bad they may act i always want the best for them.

This sentiment comes off with a real air of ignorance and hubris. We have power over animals? In the sense that WE evolved to become the Apex Predator on Earth then sure. But to use that as some comparison and then expectation of ....a supernatural.... being holding some power over us is so logically inconsistent. What power does it hold? We can in many ways measure our "power" over other animals but how are we subjugated to a higher supernatural power?

I hope you aren't thinking of religion itself being the evidence of supernatural holding something over us.
Religion itself is a product of humanity's need for explanation, comfort, tribalism, and to stroke and control the ego.
When you "pray" to the supernatural being that exists, are you not really just talking to yourself, appealing to your own true desires that without the troubles of being a human animal it would seem so easy to accomplish.

Power means ability to do something. If when talking using the word "power" it gives different connotations or thoughts of what a person might be talking about.

To use the word "ability " might simply what is being talked about.

Is there something that has an ability [power] above or affecting you? The ability of a mass of people to make and support laws of government that affect you, has a power over you.

Word Level 8 Nov 12, 2020

Rather than reaching too high, consider getting a higher ladder.

Yes. Something, often personified as someone. Call it God, call it Universe, call it Nature, call it Reality, call it Physics, it doesn’t matter what we call it, it most definitely exists (if we do) and it definitely created us, and it is definitely more powerful than us. That much seems undeniable to me.

Welcome to Agnostic!

skado Level 9 Nov 12, 2020

I think you have no idea where you are.

I don't believe we have power over animals, rather we have climbed above most of them in the food chain. I think the same mechanism that allowed us to "dominate" most animals, survival of the fittest, still has dominion over us. Coronavirus is a rather elegant reminder that other life-forms can adapt and we need to be very aware that our survival is not guaranteed.

Imo, WE like to THINK we have ascended above most of them on the 'food chain' but the fact/s are that IS only an illusion.
When you look at it, in reality what we choose to call the 'baser animals' have adapted evolved and learned to live WITHIN their environment/s, ecosystems, etc, etc, whereas Humans MUST alter, often drastically, the environment/s and ecosystem/s solely to suit themselves and themselves alone.

Yes I think there is an impersonal 'god,' but not in the way you define 'god.'
I don't believe IN anything, least of all 'god.'

I believe there is a creator. BUT, the creator set up an elaborate system (DNA, natural selection, yin/yang) and the creator kinda lets it run on auto. I don’t feel that praying for something (especially something trivial or materialistic) does anything. It’s up to US! We have a brain. We should take advantage of our gifts

I think... you should try it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:551934
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.