Agnostic.com

76 14

Although I don't believe the world is ending soon , I believe there's a God, a force that has power over human. Just like we have superiority over animals, someone/something has power over us too. What do you think?

nanabockz 4 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

76 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nothing has superiority over anything. What nonsense and hubris.

Nope.

I think you've assigned "superiority" that is undeserved and made an argument based on a false premise.

No, I don't think we have superiority over animals, they're still connected to the planet, we're losing that fast.

Nah, why are you even on this website? Beats me.

Because the admins have allowed it...and even though we all came here to escape this nonsense, the nut jobs continue to follow us to a space that was supposed to be for non-believers only. No place is safe from their idiosy.

@Free_2B_Me
FB moronic mentality!!!

@Free_2B_Me
Why do you think it was supposed to be for non-believers only, when the person who built it says otherwise?

@skado No everyone can join, however I would think that fanatics would get upset here.

@Jolanta
Why not let them decide for themselves? I’m betting they are as varied in their responses as individuals of any other group.

@skado This isn't "Christian Mingle"...THAT is a place for believers. Agnostic, Atheist, Freethinkers, Skeptics, etc are all Non-Believers. The name of the site is Agnostic.com...and yes, when it was advertised on Facebook, it said it specifically catered to non-believers. (That's the only reason I joined.) Thanks to what l deem the ol' bait and switch, that's not what is actually here. (Also why l don't participate very frequently.) This was supposed to be an escape from that nonsense, but it's not.

@Free_2B_Me
Yes, it was for those people, but not for them to the exclusion of all others. It was clearly stated in the original info pages. It was never “supposed to be an escape” of any kind. The original, clearly stated purpose was to spread the gospel of non-belief. You can’t do that by preaching to the choir. There may be other sites that are better suited to the escape you are looking for. This site, and other sites that the owner has built are expressly for the purpose of encouraging dialogue.

@skado Unless you're the owner of the site, l don't think you know what the intent was or wasn't. It's still up to interpretation. As it is, we all use the site for different reasons and l came here because it was supposed to be free of religion and those that preach it, NOT so l could try and convince believers not to believe. It's not my job to educate them.

@Free_2B_Me
It is not your job to educate them, but neither is it your job to purge them from the site.

I am definitely not the owner, but I have been here since very nearly the beginning of the site, and have witnessed all of its permutations. The owner has consistently made a distinction between religious believers (who have always been welcomed) and religious proselytizers and trolls (who are not).

The OP of this thread might well turn out to be one of the types who are not welcome here, but this post contains no (zero) evidence of that. She very simply stated her beliefs (not prohibited) and very respectfully asked what we thought (which is actually recommended by the site guidelines).

I do understand that some of our members have been severely traumatized by religious fanatics in the past and can be easily triggered by even the presence of a religious believer, which is unfortunate, but the fact is, believers are not, and never have been, prohibited from joining the site or from participating in discussions, including expressing their beliefs, as long as they behave according to the rules. There are a few who have become long-term members in good standing.

There are mechanisms for flagging misbehavior so that administrators can deal with unruly members, but being rude to them is expressly forbidden. Another remedy that is provided is the blocking feature. It is not within the responsibility or authority of any member to tell another member they don't belong here. When a member does that, they have become the troll themselves.

Below I have excerpted, and in some cases highlighted in bold, some relevant guidelines from the information pages, followed by links to those pages.

The owner really does want to promote mutually respectful dialogue between people who hold different views, and over the years he has made that increasingly clear. He has even constructed a completely separate site to accommodate views that, in spite of his best efforts to the contrary, members here have shown insufficient tolerance of. I have seen no motivation on his part greater than to assist people of conflicting opinions in their efforts to bridge the gap between their worldviews. If I am mistaken in this, you are free to ask him directly, and let me know what he says.

“We are not necessarily an anti-religion website.”

“ 1 Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.

1. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.
  2. There is no one right way to live.”

“As we want to ensure that this platform is inclusive and discussions lively yet productive, we would like members to consider the following guidelines.”

“Remember that people come to their own truth differently.

We welcome debate and dissent but personal attacks, persistent trolling and similar abuse will not be tolerated.”

[agnostic.com]

“Q: What is Agnostic.com all about?
A: Agnostic.com is place where wisdom is shared and people meet. We've set up the website to be a community that caters to all types of people.

“Q: What should I do if I see someone being disrespectful to a member or individual instead of ideas?
A: Please go to the member's profile page and click the "flag" icon. We will take appropriate steps. For our policies, click here. If a member is being annoying, you can also just block them by clicking the “ Block” link on their profile page or entering their name here. If you do that, you won’t see any of their posts and they won’t see yours.”

[agnostic.com]

“A note about etiquette

We are doing our best to keep this a safe, troll-free community where people are free to express themselves. As you can imagine, many people in our crowd are passionate about facts, truth, and some even like a good debate.

Our #1 guideline is simple: let’s just keep it truthful and respectful.

On that note, we should tell you that a small percentage of members are probably social justice warriors. Think of it as an opportunity to enlighten them with civility. Please be nice. 🙂

[agnostic.com]

These points are not up for interpretation; they have been clearly spelled out.
I hope this has been helpful.

@skado Wow...you clearly have too much time on your hands! I've been here quite awhile too. I'm no newbie. And yes, l can read. As it is, NONE of what l said has anything to do with someone being rude or having bad behavior. My initial comment (which l am completely free to make) was to the question posed by Jolanta in her comment (because she couldn't understand why a religious person would be here either)...you just chose to butt in and make it about you and being right. You can quote/copy and paste all you want all day long, but your droning is falling on my ears the same as when anyone brings up religion. My apologies @Jolanta for your comment getting hijacked!😳

@Free_2B_Me
Thanks for letting me know how much time I have.
Best wishes.

How does what you 'believe' have any significance for me whatsoever? Your beliefs may be delusionary and nothing you have posted suggests otherwise, including your bizarre claim that one animal has superiority over all others. I'd like to see you race a cheetah.

I think the only thing that has power over us is our nature. We were made to survive, but also were given a reasoning and potentially rational brain.
Many would like a higher power to be responsible, but there seems to be little or no evidence, (some scientists find beauty in form and attribute to a god, but is that real evidence? A matter of opinion).
Not everyone can embrace their power, or wants to. I like this Mandela/ Williamson quote on the matter. I’m a community worker and trained to work at grass roots level 😉 but am not holding out for god to take the reins.

Jeez Louise, another Troll has wandered out from the cavern.

Do us a favor........Don’t think. People like you weaken the nation.

Go back to inhaling disinfectants.

Birds are superior in that they can fly without gasoline. Whales are superior to humans in that they can hold their breath for tens of minutes. Bears are superior in that they can hibernate. Corona virus is superior to us in that it can kill us, but we can not kill it. We are superior to nothing. What you believe is meaningless. That is what I think, therefore I am an atheist.

Actually bears do not hibernate. They go into a state called torpor, not hibernation.
[scienceworld.ca]

@dahermit "similiar but not exact". But thank you none the less. Captivating article.

Framing something under the guise of a god will not win any merits. There is a force and it's called nature.

i think you are mistaken that we have superiority over animals and i also think that by assuming power over them we are destroying the world. if it ends soon it will be our doing. in addition i think you are.mistaken that there are any such things as gods, powerful or otherwise. i further think that you are aware that you are asking this question on a site that is full of atheists and agnostics, so you already KNOW what we think.

g

Exactly! Among animals we find superior strength, sight, hearing, speed, ability to survive environments that will kill us etc.

Nah! Humans don't have superiority over anything.

True that is!! They are not!!

The Alligator / Crocodile is the king of the swamp.
The Great White Shark is the king of the sea.
The Lion is the king of the Jungle.

A few things to remember.

Uhhhh. No.

Trump Jr. believes that superiority over animals thing. That's why he goes off to Africa and shoots them with a rifle. Too bad they could not shoot back.
As for that force that has power over humans maybe you can call it the universe. Throw in time and you are almost done.

Who says we have superiority over animals?? Most animals of any size run faster than humans, many can see better, smell better, and/or hear better than humans. Some snakes are able to detect the infrared spectrum and rats infest many places humans dwell despite our efforts to eradicate them from our premises. Never mind about cockroaches. All animals (human included because we are animals) have unique qualities allowing them to fit into and survive within the environments where they lives. Humans are no different only our brains allow us to adapt elements of our environments to survive in a great number of diverse environments.

Nature has power over humans as well as plants and other animals. For me, the only God concept would have to be something very close to Pantheism where God would be the totality of all the universe encompassing all reality.

I think you allow your imagination to overrule your knowledge.

I study psychology and hypnosis. One of the mind tricks that you learn is that most people cannot distinguish between imagination and reality. If you imagine something long enough then it becomes reality to you.

Um... no.

I believe there's a force that has power over humanity and it is called nature and the laws that govern it. It is not a god or any kind of personality but rather a natural force that created, governs and controls the universe.

Imagination can be a useful tool when appropriately applied.You are free to conjure up gods and devils and all kinds of nonsense, however, do not expect rational people to share your beliefs.

I think you're full of crap by presenting zero evidence to your assertion.

What do I think? I believe you are delusional 🤔 other than that you're wrong. 🤭

Believing there are powers we do not yet understand is fine; we have so much more to learn about this existence we find ourselves in. Thinking of those as yet undiscovered forces as a personal god is a symptom of anthropocentric thinking, that it is all about us. It is not dis-similar to anti-semitism, racism, sexism, homophobia, etc.

Get over yourself. You are not special, I am not, none of us are. We just are. In not even a nano-second of universe-time we will go back to that from which we came. Enjoy the ride while you are here and stop looking for a god-daddy (or mommy or whatever) to magically make things better.

An old jew dies and goes to heaven. When he meets god he tells him a holocaust joke, god does not laugh. So the old jew says; "Well I guess you would have had to have been there"
So you have an undetectable being that may or may not exist. That you believe has power over humans but cannot or will not exercise this power. Or if it does, it is so arbitrary and at times malevolent that nobody could truly say that a great and good God is at work in the world.
Imagine a very complex mathematical formula where if you remove "X" from the equation, the results stay exactly the same. Zero would not even work as a value for "X" because 0 x y = 0 whereas y might have some value.

If you think you are going to flip us, you couldn't be more wrong. Most of us were believers at one time, but for me reaching the age of reason and blessed with the ability of critical thinking I walked away from that horribly constricted life of fear without reason. So that would be a no. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:551934
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.