Agnostic.com

53 5

Is touch important?

How important is touch for you?

ladyinred1967 5 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

of course it is important, like our other senses it is a value aid to survival.
Also like our other senses it can be a source for the perception of great beauty and comfort.

I was never a touchy-feely person, no one in my family ever was either.
And since the pandemic, you just stay the F over there, thznkyuvurrymuch!!!
I get the touch I need from my dog........

I think Mister Brak put it bluntly...

Yes, by any woman that I am romantically involved with. Aside from that, this introvert keeps to himself. Touch does not automatically mean sex either, and the simple pleasures in life are laying wrapped-up in the arms of that special someone.

Can tell I'm getting older. In my twenties it was all about the screwing part, and now I look more forward to the after sex cuddling. As the rock band U2 once put it... to touch is to heal, to hurt is to steal.

I am not certain but I think that touch is probably a sense that we use second only to sight in frequency. We touch a chair, a table the hand of someone close to us and there are numerous ways in which we use our sense of touch. Yes, it is very important and not being able to hug someone close to you because of the global coronavirus pandemic has served to focus our attention on the lack of touch in our daily lives.

It's very important. I miss touch in a relationship, but I don't enjoy touch from people I don't feel an affection for. However, love foot rubs! 🙂

Don't even try it. I don't know where you've been.

Extremely important. I love the closeness.

As a touch typist I speak to my world and think through my fingers to my eyes and mind @ 65 wpm.... I could not heal myself or my loved ones without TOUCH ...both a great woman and a man band sing touch&mornings.... I joined this site over 2 years ago reaching out NOT like Diamond for love to hold me in lifelong care....teaching and learning love even unto eyelashes I will touch

Most mammals depend upon touch with the co-species.... depriving primates of touch causes extreme stress and personality disorder

More than most realize. Lack of touch is akin to lack of a certain nutrient and your skin actually becomes 'touch-hungry'. Touch is also an important form of communication that we do almost instinctively but has become much less common in our society.

I love touch. Long lingering hugs, hands exploring her back and depending on her mood, more.

Touch is important to everyone. You know that when parts of your body (like your feet) start losing the ability to correctly feel touch.If you are single and find that you sleep with your arms wrapped around yourself your mind is sending you a message.

It is very important to me. But I only do ethical groping... give and take.

Hugging universally could restore our nurturing species and abate violent outbursts by undeserving people....Head Start teaches all students to hug one another but the violence begins in school sports if not at home from violent families....religions sexually mutilate baby boys and young girls by the millions each year.. .we Atheists should set a better example than the xians with their tampon terrorism murdering gynecologists.....John&Yoko did

Reiki claims to heal without touch but it is so close to skin or clothes most patients feel the healing heat....it is impossible to get pregnant without touch....even an A.I. syringe is touching a vagina and cervix

Love Touch!
Great part of the human experience! ?

I get a theraputic massage once a month and it's worth every penny for my physical and mental health.

Yeah I miss touch. The ONLY thing I miss about being married.

I have been alone so long that I sometimes find myself craving touch. But not just any touch. Loving, tender touch by someone I trust and care for. I dislike being touched by strangers or people I don't trust. I remember seeing a documentary from the 50s where they used these sad little orphan babies in an experiment on the importance of touch. They purposely withheld human contact from some of the babies and fed and changed them through an incubator sleeve. These poor babies did not thrive. I don't think it is quite as essential to adults regarding thriving, that is, I don't think I will die from lack of touch...but I definitely feel a deep sadness when I remember how warm and wonderful it felt. I feel like I would be happier and healthier for sure if I had a good cuddle every day.

I'm familiar with that study. The sad thing is that when you get to my age even most of your friends don't do hugs on a regular basis when we meet, so you/I really miss out on experiencing regular affection if you don't date and have no kids, like me.

Without touch, the mind would be an isolated island.

Perfect.

Yes

Yes, I like touching and being touched. Someone besides myself. You know how it feels when they wash your hair at the hair cut place? It is analogous. Humans need to touch.

From "The Rhythm of Love: 40 Beats per Minute" by Natalie Angier in her fascinating book, “Women- An Intimate Geography.”

"Oxytocin has been called the love hormone and the bonding hormone. It’s a dopy, wishful phrase, and a bit reductionist. Still, Oxytocin may be a player in the sensation of love.

“Think of a breastfeeding woman,” Kirsten Uvnas-Moberg of the- Karolinska Institute in Sweden said. She studies nursing mothers, in whom oxytocin is high. “Oxytocin is stimulating her milk letdown- that much is familiar. But milk ejection is only part of the story. Oxytocin, in concert with other peptides, expands blood flow to the breast. The engorgement turns the breast warm, warmer than it’s ever been. Heat radiates from the nursing woman. She feeds the baby fluids and bathes the baby in warmth."

“A mother does more than nurse and warm the baby. As she holds the baby, she strokes the infant to soothe it. ‘You know the right way to stroke somebody,” Uvnas-Moberg says. ‘You know what works and what doesn’t. If you do it like this, too fast, that doesn’t work either. But now, if you do this, if you stroke steadily and calmly, you know this is right, this is good and true.’ She strokes her arm rhythmically and as I watch, I feel vicariously stroked and soothed. ‘This rate is about forty strokes per minute. It is the same rate at which we stroke our pets.’ Oxytocin again enters the picture."

“A steady caress inveigles oxytocin secretion. The gentle rhythmic stroke is like the pulsing of a milk duct, like the rate at which the infant reflexively, rhythmically suckles at the breast. This is the rhythm of love: 40 beats a minute.”

“The rhythm of love. Orgasm is another rhythmic sensation, and it too clocks in at about forty to fifty throbs a minute, and the uterus contracts during orgasm as it does in giving birth. Oxytocin’s frequency; oxytocin’s handiwork.

“In one study, women were asked to masturbate to climax; and their blood levels of oxytocin were measured before and after orgasm. The concentration of oxytocin climbed slightly but measurably with climax, and the greater the increase, the more pleasurable the women reported their climax to be. While breastfeeding, some women say they feel almost orgasmic, their uterus pulsing along with their milk ducts, with the baby’s suckling mouth.”

When giving a massage, my hands are slow and rhythmic, 40 to 50 strokes per minute. People groan with pleasure. During my divorce, I wanted one piece of furniture: the rocking chair in which I nursed Claire. The rhythm of love.

Only in an intimate relationship, otherwise "DON'T TOUCH ME!"

I like touch allot. But try always to be considerate of others who don't like it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55360
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.