Agnostic.com

25 1

Whats your best garage sale find?

Please share pictures too

gater 7 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I bought a bowl. It's nothing special, but it's made out of some sort of plastic, I think. It's neither soft nor hard, but just right. And the size is perfect for one person. I've now had that bowl for over 35 years and still use it daily.

Everyone knows that it's "my bowl" and never use it. ?

marga Level 7 Apr 14, 2018

Quite a few things over the years but the one that sprang to mind first was a poster sized charcoal drawing of a native american woman. She is off center and vaguely looked like me.

People assumed it was me when I was younger LOL

No matter how much downsizing I had to do, that damn thing has moved with me. When we have hurricane scares, it is wrapped in plastic and put between the mattress and box spring.

Ive had it for at least 35 years and paid 5 bucks for it

$700 X-Men comic for a $1

A brand new Ace Hardware lawn mower...the guy didn't know enough to press the primer bulb.....lasted almost 20 years even replaced a cracked deck housing once. Paid $45.

For $0.25 I found a good-condition copy of a board game that had been out of production for decades and commonly sold for $50+.

Damn, it wasn't "Dune" by any chance, I just paid $100 for the 1973 game.

@Rugglesby Conquest of the Empire. This was a few years before the 2005 re-release.

A rather large (18" diameter at least) spherical antique apothecary bottle with about a 4" neck about 6" diameter opening for $10. I turned it into a giant fishbowl / lamp with a stained glass shade and put fancy fantail goldfish in it that appeared distorted and magnified by the thick curved glass as they swam around. Everybody that ever entered my house was fascinated by it. Unfortunately it broke when I moved.

2 weeks back, brand new, unused pair of diving fins, my size, $2.

A travel mug that plugs in to the car. It has three settings — hot, warm, and tepid. ! Cost me $1.

Ohub Level 7 Apr 14, 2018

I once bought an oil painting at a boot sale for £3.00 , sold it later for £700.00.
Doesn't happen everyday unfortunately .

$7 kitchenaid stand mixer that I sold
for $90

Found a solid mahogany dining table with three leaves for $10. The main table required refinishing and one leg needed a repair, but it's a beautiful table that comfortably seats 12 for holiday/family dinners.

Too many lifetime finds for me to be sure, but my latest was last Friday. I paid $5 for a set of black computer speakers that would cost $15 to $25 new. They are 8 inches tall and work fine. Two controls and they make my second computer sound like a jukbox.
I'm a lifelong resale and garage sale fan and you can often find the bargain of your life still in its package if you only look. Things change and people change and that means a lot of "stuff" is still out there for a bargain.

I stopped my car as I was passing a little old lady sitting in her driveway with a bunch of stuff she was trying to sell. On her table were a pair of all leather shoes. They were brand new the soles were not scuffed. They were my size. She wanted 25 cents for the shoes. I gave her a quarter and she said..." My husband only wore these shoes once...on the day he died of a heart attack"

That's so sad,poor lady. I try to visit a little with the people having these sales, a good way to meet your neighbors.

@gater Garage sales can be fun. You never know if you will find something you need at a bargain price. My experience with garage sales is that people have stuff they no longer want or need but they would feel guilty about throwing it away in the trash....they really don't care about the money...they just want to find a good home for their junk.

@pthomas59 I used to shop garage sales often. Once I saw an almost new window Air Conditioner...still in the box. The guy wanted $75.00 for it. I said I couldn't afford that much but that I worked nights and slept in the daytime and it was economical if I could just cool my bedroom in the summer and not waste electricity by cooling the whole house. He sold it to me for $10.00 and brought it over to my house and helped install it in my window.

I found a VitaMix blender at a sale for $10 still new in the box. The couple had recieved it as a wedding gift and never used it. I used it for over a decade until I wore it out.

Heres mine - it was broken and dirty, but it works now - paid $30

gater Level 7 Apr 14, 2018

A boat.
I forget what the price was, but it was pretty good, if I remember correctly. It was about 20 years ago, the neighborhood was having a garage sale day and one of the neighbors had a standard table set up with the usual houshold stuff, but we saw a boat in the garage and asked about it. Thay said it was for sale too. So my parents bought it. Still going strong.

The boat:

Gold and dIamond rIng for a dollar

Black hat, Leather stool I've had for 40 years. Startingto show wear and tear

A nice used pair of skis and boots.

I bought a china cabinet for $10. The seller told me that the house she is living in was one of the oldest houses in Derby, KS and that the china cabinet was actually built into the wall of the house at that time (around the 1900's). When they went to remodel the room for their soon to be newborn was when they found out it was built into the house. Except for the doors being missing and one end not being finished (the end that was against the wall), the piece is in perfect condition

A full length Italian leather coat for $12 bucks...

Never been to one as of yet, but might seriously need to look into any that may be near my location.

I have nt ever had one.

I’ve never been to a garage sale where seller did not also insist on selling a house with it.

Never had the experience.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:57720
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.