Agnostic.com

16 24

LINK ‘We don’t go to church.’ I get shocked looks, promises of prayer. ‘How will your daughter know right from wrong?!’: Agnostic mom ‘unapologetically’ raising daughter without religion – Love What Matters

“One of my mom’s favorite embarrassing stories to tell about my childhood goes a little something like this:

One Sunday, when I was about 8, I came home from Sunday school at my local Methodist church. My mom asked what we’d learned about today in religion class.

‘Well, we talked about Jesus,’ I said. ‘I guess Jesus is like Santa. Him and God, they’re watching over us all the time.’

‘Yes, that’s right,’ Mom agreed as she stirred the Sunday pot of split-pea soup we’d be eating all week. ‘And your guardian angel. They’ll watch and keep you safe.’

‘And they see if I do something bad,’ I went on. ‘They’re always watching.’

‘Yes, honey, that’s right.’ My mom switched off the episode of Law and Order she was watching while she cooked. ‘OK, time for your bath.’

Mom sent me upstairs to fill the tub and soak for awhile, but not before she reminded me to keep the door open so she could hear me. For a few minutes, all she heard was light splashing. Then, after a long silence, I screamed, ‘STOP WATCHING ME, JESUS!’

The story is hilarious, and never fails to get a few chuckles at family gatherings. However, it has darker implications, and my fearful reaction to the idea of a judgmental God who doesn’t respect one’s privacy perfectly illustrates why I have decided to raise my daughter in a non-religious household.

Read More
I grew up with liberal parents, but I was still sent to Sunday school at our hometown Methodist church. Since Sunday school had crafts and snacks, I didn’t really have a problem with it until I became a teenager. I started questioning Christianity in my adolescence, especially the inherent patriarchy that plagues most religions. Yet, I was still forced to go through confirmation at my church for reasons I still don’t quite understand. Most likely, my parents didn’t think I knew what I really felt and believed, because I was just a ‘hormonal teenager’ who didn’t know her own mind.

Now, I’m a 35-year-old agnostic, and I’m raising my daughter the same way. And boy, you would be surprised how many people have a serious problem with that.

When you live and work in small-town Iowa, one of the first things people ask you when you meet them is where you go to church. I used to waffle around and give vague answers, but now that I have a daughter, I just tell the truth: ‘We don’t go to church.’ Inevitably, this gets a lot of shocked looks or promises of prayer.

The question I get more often than most is, ‘How will your daughter know right from wrong if she doesn’t have a religious guideline to follow?’ They’re concerned h

HippieChick58 9 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I feel like I’ve become more empathetic since I left religion. When a group of people are killed and murdered I now feel sorry for them no matter who they are whereas when I was a Christian there was always that judgemental thought if there weren’t Christians then they deserved it for sinning

We can still take pleasure in Republican anti-vaxxers dying of covid, right? 😝

They make it seem that you can't be a good person if you're not religious 😑

I gave up christianity at 15 yo. I became a wiccan, was so for 25 + years. The I became an agnostic for a few years. Then I became an atheist.

Can't imagine living like that. Here I have a big yard sign stating it is a gun free zone, NRA cowards not welcome, a fiction bumper sticker. No one asks about religion and if I mention being an atheist or non-believer I usually get a me-too reply.

Which is another reason I often regret leaving Western Washington.

How will your daughter know right from wrong? It might have been a big question 2000 years ago but today we have news, tv and movies, social media, and all our trended opinions right in the home instantly. Most of us are led by this media rather than church or bible study.

Religion doesn't give you a good moral character

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 11, 2021

How will my children know right from wrong?

I will take time to teach them and role model the appropriate behaviour. In the end we, as adults, choose our own path. What we learn as children can only guide us to he starting gate. I prefer they get to that point under my direction,

My religious experience also involved the Methodist brand and for me it was the crafts and snacks. The rest was nonsense and by the age of 10 I just quit going. When one Sunday I refused to go Mom said "it's good for you". I said "If it's so good for us why do you just drop us off at the front door?"
Even at 10 mom and I were on rocky ground. It was not about religion it was about who had control.
Now I live in a college town surrounded by rural right wing religious folk. Some are real nutters, some like the KKK brand and some aren't too bad. The ones I know from around the apartment complex have stopped asking if I want to go to church. Some act like any minute the lightening bolt's gonna strike and they had better keep their distance. 🙂

It sounds rough. What about the college students?

@JackPedigo I enjoy the college students. The Wldcat Farm supplies food for the college eaterys . Just next to the Farm is the Communty garden that the college kids help with and also manage. it was sad when this pandemic took off last year and trump kept calling it the China flu, most Asian students I would see as I rode my bike through campas to the community garden walked with their heads down and avoided eye contact with us round eyes. It REALLY bothered me. I know for a fact they have encountered some real assholes in this town.

@silverotter11 Doesn't sound like a very nice place. When we worked the Iron Goat trail (near Stevens Pass) we would have Wednesday's off and we did visit Ellensburg. It was a pretty town but I remember little of it.

I live in whacko floriduh, when people ask me where do I go, my answer is always either "well, that is really none of your business, is it?" Or "to the nonofyer business" temple.

I was about that age, somewhere between 8 and 10, when I read Carl Sagan for the first time. I was done with religion after 1 more straw after that.

Suffice it to say after reading from "The Book of Carl" as Dr Tyson called it once, my religious fate was at the very edge of the event horizon. Just needed one little gravitational tip into a black hole lol

These stories are really interesting. I went to Sunday school and then church for a year until I left home at 16. but it never meant anything. just something I had to endure on Sunday.
The USA seems to be living in a sort of time warp. Every town here has a few empty churches,either falling in to disrepair or being used for some other purpose and a church minister now covers several parishes,
In my travels round the USA there appears to be a church on virtually every street corner. Come on guys get with the times.
Worryingly there is growth in the "happy clappy" churches usually with an American pastor at it's head.Well as far as I am concerned you can keep them. We don't want our youngsters led astray.

I feel that I took on a lot more responsibility for myself when I gave up the idea that someone else ultimately took responsibility for my mistakes and misjudgment. It doesn't mean that all others can learn the same lessons, but I now believe we need to find a way to forgive ourselves as well as others and to learn from our mistakes. I think it is part of becoming an adult instead of an adult with a child's mentality. We make enough mistakes as it is, we don't need to be making more trying to avoid responsibility of those from our past.

Yes, I'm a secular homeschool mom in very religious area. I get this A Lot!!! I've said when my kids are older they can attend church and decide for themselves but I refuse to immerse them in it when they are young. People think I am crazy but my kids have better respect and value for humans than most religious people I know so whatever.

In self defense when my MIL grabbed my kids w/stupid ass husband she baptised them. I was furious and got books for children on every religion I could find and we read them all. In a state sponsored day care my children came home and told me they had to say the Lords prayer before eating. I said NO FKN WAY. I called the day care and told them to stop. They said NO. I said FY you will stop. Called the State Dept of Education and they told the day care all state funds would cease if they didn't stop saying the prayer. So there!

I always said my children are welcome to go to church if they want to. I actually encouraged mine to do that so they would understand the cultural values of their neighbors. I explained to them that I was not religious and did not believe in a higher power but that they needed to decide on their own what they believed. I have one atheist child and a semi-religious one.

The answer that I gave before they went to church was of course they can go if they want to but I am not religious and I encourage my children to make caring ethical choices whether or not they go to church.

The religious guideline provided by the God of the Bible? Hello?

Do you really want your daughter to grow up into a genocidal maniac with catastrophic anger management issues?

How come Iowa has so many inbreds?

Beats me, but it happens..

I don't believe in hell, but I lived in small town Iowa for two years, Hampton, Iowa, to be exact (pop. 2500). And if hell exists, that couldn't be far off. Lots of small-minded, judgemental people and several churches for every bar in town, of which there were only two. Something very fucked-up about that kind of ratio... But I'm sure there are places in the South that are far worse.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:588685
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.