Agnostic.com

25 7

Let's play a thought game.

So IF God were real and IF he had the infinite cosmic power believers claim he does and IF you could ask him to perform ONE impossible task on your behalf -- something that benefits only yourself and no one else. This means no resurrecting lost loved ones or healing all the sick children of the world.

Keeping this restriction in mind, what would you want?

I'd ask him to turn back time, and make me 25 again but let me retain all the knowledge I've accumulated over my 58 years. I'd do so many things differently. I'd be able to fix everything I ever did wrong. I'd also watch for the IPO of Starbuck's and a few other primo stocks I missed out on.

You?

Oh, and for anyone who replies to this with "There is no God," let me pre-emptively reply with; no shit, genius. Were playing a game.

Sgt_Spanky 8 Apr 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would ask God to impound all the narcissists on the planet, and send them to the nearest black hole.

what is your beef with narcicism? (not that youre wrong, id just like to hear someone lay it out in clear thought)

I would choose to be completely fluent in all languages without my head exploding and also maintain the ability to function normally.

Wow, this would be astounding! It would be like having a real life Babel fish. Very cool.

free daily ice cream delivery to my hand with a smile.

I love the simplicity of this. No vast sums of money, no desire for power, just...ice cream. 🙂

@Sgt_Spanky Don’t forget the smile.

Ask god to get rid of all religions on the planet.

I’d ask to be a cis female, age, race, and level of attractiveness could be at gods discretion.
I’m sick of dying of dysphoria.
Women with prostates don’t need to worry about hell, we’ve lived in hell all our lives.

I think you've made your pain more understandable to others. At least I have a better idea of what it is.

I would ask to live in perfect health as long as it would take for congress and the Senate on both side to come together and totally100% agree on a bill that helps all Americans.
I would live for ever.

Yeah, I'd like to be 25 again and know what I know now. Things would be very different. Different does not necessarily mean good for everyone. If I didn't marry my ex my kids and grands would not exist. Right now I'd settle for a couple of million $$.

Bangs!

@Gwendolyn2018 😅 Cool! You do seem to have more than your fair share.

@Gwendolyn2018 I got screwed on hair, but I have a great metabolism. I have weighed between 150 and 155 for 20 years after l quit smoking cigarettes The 15 or 20 years before that140 and 145. I will take the trade off. 🙂

@Gwendolyn2018 I remember reading an article somewhere years ago that overweight, not obese, people live longer than skinny people. So, there you go.

@Gwendolyn2018 I'm sure you are just fine.

A TARDIS but something newer than the type 40 TT capsule, at least one of the chameleon circuit works on. 🤔 Wow I just thought I could go to Milliways! 🤣

Say hey to Arthur and the gang.

First I would resolve to quit drinking whatever brought this image to mind. Then I would ask the Genie to erase all my memory of the discovery of, and the week subsequent to my wife's death.

I hear you. That's the reason I made it a selfish wish, to give insight into one's self beyond wanting our loved ones back. Otherwise, I'd have brought back my brother and all my dogs.

I would ask for a bottomless wallet. When I spend money, that amount would magically appear in my wallet again. 😀

This is a genius variation on the standard "I wanna be rich!" request.

I would ask for nothing.

But he would say that's not impossible.

You're right.

@Sgt_Spanky then he would say wait, nothing is impossible for me

then i would say i wasn't talking to you again

then he'd say liar

then i'd malaprop, i'm illiterating you from my memory

Nope: I wouldn’t ask for a thing. Shortcuts usually come with a hefty price tag.

That's how Satan or an evil Djinn fulfills a wish. I expect God wouldn't have a "gotcha" attached.

@Sgt_Spanky Maybe your gods, certainly not mine! Besides, I wasn’t thinking about any “gotcha,” but rather a price intrinsic to shortcuts themselves.

So... an impossible and essentially selfish wish? I'd wish to have god-like powers. That'd probably be a very very bad idea because I have issues. 😀

I would ask him to disappear and erase the thought of any gods from all humans.

I like the going back in time. of course, with the knowledge one has now. I remember a few stocks that were great performers, I could get a foreign girl friend and learn a foreign language, and knowing that Boolian Algebra is just another term for logic could probably have passed the exam. Thus I could have a degree, I would have known what to study and what not to do when I was that age.

Correcting past mistakes, my kinda request. 👍

In that case then, I'd request this Supreme Deity to create a rock so large that he could NOT make it move using his own strength and will.

How does that benefit you?

@Sgt_Spanky Why should I seek to benefit in the first place?

An impossible task that is entirely selfish... give me more money (or anything recognized as an equivalent of money) than anybody in the universe. Hint: it is impossible because I am included in the "anybody" category, so I would always need more money to top the amount I have.

Too bad it has to be purely selfish and not selfish that can have externalities for others. If that was the case and it was the Abrahamic god, I would ask for all my friends in hell to be forgiven without condition. We know that would never happen.

The benefit must be a selfish one. That's the whole point of the game -- it's an insight into what is most appealing to you and for you. Deal with it.

@Sgt_Spanky Would it be selfish if done to purely piss off said god and laugh it up with my friends?

@PadraicM Works for me. 👍

Simple. Give me the winning numbers on the next big lottery.

I knew there'd be at least one lottery winner request. 👍

I would do much the same but in the late 1970s invest in the first personal computers to have spreadsheet software installed.

I'd definitely be looking for the Apple IPO around 1980 or 81.

Rewinding time back didn't seem like the best way to do everything right when I was 25. Even though I have more knowledge and experience now, I am 40. I am still human and prone to make mistakes. Basically, I think I wouldn't repeat my mistakes; I would simply make new ones trying to avoid those I know about xD. Whenever I need to play God, I just start Minecraft, connect to one of Minecraft bedwars servers and create a world to my liking in creation mode.

I'd like to be 16 years old again as long as I retain my present knowledge along with my pension so I don't have to work.

The problem would be that you are still you and are still limited by what you know at the time that you know it. Even if you retained the knowledge from the future, and changed your history, for example, making yourself rich, you may not know how to handle that wealth and may lose it all anyway.

You will always be learning and always be making mistakes.

Let's Not Play.

IF my grandma had balls...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:592459
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.