Agnostic.com

17 25

LINK U.S. Church Membership Falls Below Majority for First Time

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Americans' membership in houses of worship continued to decline last year, dropping below 50% for the first time in Gallup's eight-decade trend. In 2020, 47% of Americans said they belonged to a church, synagogue or mosque, down from 50% in 2018 and 70% in 1999.

HippieChick58 9 June 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The only problem is most atheist are left wing idiots. I’ll take the religious right wing idiots over those any time. 🤪😜

Perhaps we'll see more critical thinking and acceptance of science. This country needs it.

Fletch Level 6 June 10, 2021

It's good that our numbers are rising and find reality more appealing than make believe.

Most people are only going for the coffee and donuts and music.

BDair Level 8 June 8, 2021

People are waking up.

Now there's some good news!

BD66 Level 8 June 8, 2021

Hallelujah!

In time the Internet will be the death of god. When I was young we all had to wait a week and then ask the preacher.

I’m not too sure about the Internet being responsible for the death of God. After all, the Internet has been responsible for a boatload of bad ideas, such as electing Trump and other demagogues. Increased education and critical thinking skills combined with relying on oneself for answers rather than surrendering to an unsubstantiated authority figure are necessary in putting an end to credulity.

Hope the decline in religion turns into a snowball going down hill.

The trend appears to suggest a steady INCREASE in the withdrawal of support. In 5 years it could be go from 47% to 42% based on the graph; a percent a year as an approximate rate. The question is when it starts to level off? At 25%, at 30%?

Thank God 🐶

So now we can expect more vitriolic lies, finger pointing and name calling from the clergy who are starting to lose their ill gotten gains.

Last gasps of an endangered species headed toward extinction.

@p-nullifidian Lets hope so.

Finally

bobwjr Level 10 June 7, 2021

Finally some good news. Who can afford to tithe?

"Finally some good news." I was going to write the same comment. Honest.

I worked in a Mormon Church doing woodworking. They tried to recruit me by telling me it could decrease my taxes as I would give the church at least ten percent. I could not figure out why they should get ten percent or more. They did me no favors, it was a good job, but nothing after the job was done. Not that it would have made any difference.

Hoping this trend continues especially among political leaders!

Too bad for the faithfucks. BOO HOO!!

A positive trend.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:602051
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.