Agnostic.com

19 20

What would it take for you to believe that god is real and exists??

I was sitting one day at a bus stop and this woman walked up to me and start telling me about god, I told her right away that I don't believe in god or any gods for that matter. She then looked at me and spread out her arms and turned from side to side as if to envelope the whole area, and said then where did this all come from?? I said, the big bang, evolution, and the buildings and roads and cars and such things all by man's imagination and ability to create things out of the elements, that's where.

Then she asked me what would it take to convince me that god was real and existed? I said go out and get an amputee bring him or her here in front of me and then pray that god would grow his or her limbs back in front of me and then I'll believe.

Well, she started to make all kinds of excuses as to why god wouldn't do this, and all I said to her was, you asked, and that's what it will take. She just walked away.

MrDragon 7 June 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very little. Any sensory perception like sight or hearing would be a good first step. You know, the normal stuff I’ve used to determine the millions of other things probably exist.

"...any sensory perception...." And how would you distinguish a sound, from an hallucination? Even a sight? Is that what Saul experienced, turning him into Peter? Maybe!

@BirdMan1 I would not really be able to distinguish between a hallucination a real sensory perception, but I don’t normally have to consider that with any other thing that I use my judgement on. As I said, it is a first step.

@indirect76 As a first step,it's cool, but there must be further steps, of course.

@indirect76 My mistake, though, it was Saul to Paul.

In not not to distant future they will be able to regenerate limbs and such. But science will accomplish this and not some pie-in-the-sky-guy.

I very seldom think about gods being real and existing. The older I get the more amazed I am that others appear to think about this all the time.

Ah yes, they rely upon the excuse of "Everything being a part of God's Great Plan and it being unchangeable" BUT they forget that they pray at every opportunity to the self-same god for him to 'adjust' his Great plan to encompass their minor needs and wishes.
I was once asked a similar question, gave my response very much similar to your but added in the Irrefutable, tried and tested, peer reviewed evidences, etc, and got in return the reply, " But it is ALL written in Gods words in the Holy Bible, the book written by God himself."
The questioner was rather shocked when I responded with, " So God, but WHICH of the over 300 Million Gods,wrote the bible but why is it written in so many DIFFERENT languages and has NO Author's signature on it, Why can you say that it is Gods words when no-one has ever actually heard God speak in person, Why is that ONE single book must be considered as being the Truth when there are millions of other books all over the world that can just as easily be considered as being the Truth and nothing but the Truth, what about the Harry Potter series of books or the Grimm's Fairy Tales, are they NOT also the Truth because they are books are they not?"
It is so easy at times to get a Christfool on their back foot that it can fell be a somewhat shameful thing to do, but it IS enjoyable and pleasing none-the-less.

When my mother was dying in hospital some numbnut sent a chaplain up, I pointed out that my brother and I don't believe but my father still did. He asked me what would make me believe, I told him that my mother would make a full recovery and walk out of the hosipital. She died the next day. He/she/it/they had their chance and failed.

Budgie Level 8 June 25, 2021

If any such dimwit asks me a question like that, my answer always leaves them mightily confused: "Falsifiable evidence to support the existence claim of your particular god.".

She may have walked away from you, but she is unlikely to walk away from her own special kind of stupid.

"the existence claim of your particular god."

which does not "exist," at least for YHWH, unless you can Quote some?
but you don't care about that part, i take it

@bbyrd009 I leave that problem to the person making the existence claim. Not my claim, not my circus, not my monkeys.

@anglophone gotcha

I think I'll name my next dog Jesus Christ or Goddammit.

Good idea and since the mythical Jeebus Crust was also a carpenter then your dog can be doing his/her 'odd jobs' around the yard for you every day.....LOL.

Which god ?

The J.W. God? I guess. She want to give me a watchtower comic book.

@MrDragon Then I would say that many things could make me believe in a lot of gods, but not hers. Because her god is not logically consistent, and if I saw evidence for something that was not logically consistent, then I am more likely to assume that I have gone mad.

ha ya, as soon as you define It i am no longer a believer 🙂

Well, if it was God who took the limb away you would be forcing a false paradigm there maybe

Hard to tell, she didn't bring anyone.

@MrDragon not sure how that might change the point wadr, but i would say that her mistake was to suggest that God “existed,” when that requires “objective evidence,” right?

So, believe what you like imo, but personally i would take all believers with a grain of salt, atheists included 🙂

@bbyrd009 ... and just how do you lump atheists into the "all believers" group?

" ... but personally i would take all believers with a grain of salt, atheists included "

@AtheistInNC ah well...i am hardly the first to compare atheists to fundamentals, they are usually pretty similar in their thought processes i guess. An atheist is really just a believer in no God, whether they would appreciate the semantics or not

@bbyrd009 if you want to make a broad generalisation of “an atheist”, it’s important to understand that all atheists, simply lack belief in those theist claims. There is no position of belief required.

@Mvtt ya, ive heard that a lot, but it strikes me as a form of denial tbh

@bbyrd009 I would justifiably deny the ignorance of semantics, yes. It’s illogical to do so, mis-communicates and misrepresents atheism.

@Mvtt i have no idea what you just said, sorry

you either believe there is no God or you do not, seems to me?
seems like an aversion to the term "believe"

@bbyrd009 seems like you like semantics because you have no good answer.
"I believe I'll have another coffee this morning." Now I'm a coffee worshiper.
Uh-huh.

@AtheistInNC ya, so it seems the term "believe" is the sticking point, which i guess i kinda understand...but i have been having this discussion for about twenty years now, and not once has a professed atheist allowed that they might possibly "believe there are no gods"

so i try to keep an open mind there, but the weight of the evidence is becoming overwhelming tbh; if you choose to believe that "i don't believe in __" and "i believe there are none" are in any material way any different, that is certainly your right, but understand that the similarity can be mathematically proven, yet you don't care about that much i guess; a frequent reply is that I suddenly "like semantics" even though it is invariably the atheist/gnostic who is employing it in their argument...which i gotta say i don't get that part at all? Is "semantics" bad, iyo?

so, you might check out one of the many comparisons of fundies to atheists, and understand that i can get along with either, but either one are necessarily gnostic in their beliefs, it seems like anyway; you might note the number of gnostic statements in your last post, or any post

i mean does every "belief" manifest in "worship," iyo?

@bbyrd009 Well how would one know??? And it also reminds me of a story in the NT that JC disciples asked him that if a blind man born blind was blind because of his sins, or his parent's sin, and JC said that he was blind so he can be part of the glory of god and then JC healed him. That is of course a paraphrase version, so why can't that be the case of the amputee???

@MrDragon well, i could of course bring you an amputee that could grow its limb back w/o prayer...only it would be a frog or something lol...but this seeking of miracles, i dunno; i mean the amputee got amputated via some choice, right, so i dunno about the escape from consequences there, which seems to be what is being asked for?

anyway, to your question, "blind" has a symbolic meaning in the bible, and i seriously doubt any literal restoration of literal sight took place tbh; literal reading of the Bible generally misses the actual story being told, in my experience

@bbyrd009
You stated: "An atheist is really just a believer in no God, whether they would appreciate the semantics or not"

You equate "believer" into both sides ... a believer of god, a believer in no god ... therefore atheist and theist are both "believers" when the connotation of the word "believer" has a certain meaning which leaves atheists out.

So, my friend, you are the one who incorporated "semantics" into the conversations first, and insinuate things which are not - and then argue both sides with different people online just to hear the sweet melody of empty words dripping from you lips.

Crawl back under your bridge; we are tired of you.

@AtheistInNC ok, have a nice day then, and my apologies ok, i don’t blame anyone for wanting to avoid that one connotation, and i just kinda ignorantly assumed that the other connotations might still be universally valid

i was more focused on the gnostic/agnostic part

@bbyrd009 We seem to have this conversation in here about twice a year.
Whatever happened to Frank ??
(actually there is no "we"; I don't partake in it anymore)

@twill ha ya, I was gonna ask about the “we” thing, but i guess im already being antagonizing enough?
Near as i can tell it’s mostly an aversion to being associated with “believer,” which i can respect, but it makes it harder to have a convo on it.

Maybe if i started replacing “believe” with “think?”

@bbyrd009
I just read an opinion in the NY Times....the poster called something an "Atheist Religion"....oh boy.
Just accept atheists as non-believers in gods. There's nothing more to it....except maybe some wicked humor. It's pretty simple

@twill well, from one perspective it might be, but atheists have a spectrum just like any other group i think?

@bbyrd009 I suppose they do. No matter where you go, you end up in the same place

@twill ha well as long as you do the same things anyway, i guess. Changing your mind is hard, yeh

Fortunately she walked away. Some will stick around, never seeing the truth but trying to convince you of THEIR truth.

tioteo Level 8 June 25, 2021

The following seems to be a useful formulation:

"Where's your evidence?"

"The Buy Bull is the claim, not the evidence."

"It is trivial to show that the God of the Buy Bull cannot exist."

"Your God made me an atheist. Who are you to question His wisdom?"

@anglophone you're making it pretty obvious that you have spent no time whatsoever in the bible, wadr; ezackly what "bull" have you been asked to buy? What if thats not in there? Then what?

@bbyrd009 A Torah, a Koran, a Book of the Dead, and the Tales of Odin, Thor and Loki ( [booktopia.com.au] )

@anglophone so you don't wanna reply to the q, no problem

@bbyrd009 Your failure to see my reply for what it is is not my problem. 🙂

@anglophone well i mean none of those are the "buy bull," and thus irrelevant to the q, arent they?

@bbyrd009 That is precisely the point. All those books are exactly as irrelevant as the Buy Bull.

@anglophone ah, so

I agree with you about god needing to heal an amputee in front of me. The god would have a lot of questions from me. It doesn't mean I would worship it. Just means I would no longer be an atheist to that god.

That look of awe and wonder! Where do you think these (fill in the blank) come from? It’s like talking to a 4-year-old. They don’t understand because they choose blind faith and the term “gawd works in mysterious ways!”

Yes, the universal cop-out, the adamant refusal to use their brains.

“exist” may not be the best metric there, fwiw; if existence requires “objective evidence” anyway...an interesting corollary there is that “God” must be defined for that, right? But as it turns out, we cannot even define ourselves! Your best description of yourself would not be recognized by even your closest peers, apparently.

My mind is closed to any notion of a god. I might have told her to get on her knees and service me. See how badly she wants to get me to believe.

barjoe Level 9 June 25, 2021

Well....there is a little bit of that "fucking for jesus" goin' around

That was a long read.

@MrDragon I assumed that's where you had gotten that...

@JeffMurray
Ahh, no, it was something that I had thought of by myself, well, I thought I had, would seem like someone had beat me to it, I just didn't know it, until now.

@MrDragon It is a pretty good question to ask.

You spoke your mind. Just be straight. That’s the best way to go. 🤝 🤟 🤘

All it takes for me, is to realize that the word “god” is, and was from the beginning, just a metaphor for ‘what is’. Then the existence of god becomes axiomatic.

skado Level 9 June 25, 2021

Since decades ago, I no longer waste ANY time listening to a Believer. I've spent time working in mental institutions, and I've had to listen to way too many crazy people ranting in delirium. It's all pretty much the same.

mischl Level 8 June 25, 2021

Yea. She would have to come down meet with me and cast all her followers into a pit with vipers. I'm not sure that's enough either.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:605416
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.