Agnostic.com

26 5

How?

How is a person able to obtain as well as retain happiness in a world where others are constantly lying, exploiting,and cruel to one another?

JayJay386 4 Aug 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Stop watching the news!

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

Hard but possible. Focus on doing what you like.

The Stoics provide advice in this area. This example below is one of many

You just have to live within your own little world, otherwise you'll go nuts. Life is short.

Or way too fuckin' long. 😝

Act so as to ennoble others and yourself. Learn how your ego expresses itself and how to suppress it. Recognize that what people say is usually less important than their motive. Study science.

Concentrate on doing things, to stop the mind dwelling on the bad, is my way. But especially concentrate on what you can do for other people, other creatures and the world, then you can at least be content that you have done all you personally can. And, lets be honest, if everyone of the billions of people on the planet spent only half their time doing that, then that vast bulk of human power would solve all the problems easily.

But then there comes the big bonus, because if you do, work in your local charity shop, take phone calls for mental health lines, help out at the animal shelter, march with human rights groups, join tree planting volunteers, pick up litter in the park etc. etc. whatever suits your nature and preferably several such. Then you get a big extra. Because, besides having you mind occupied, and gaining self contentment, you also increase vastly your social network and your prominence in that network. Which brings vast opportunities for companionship, love, education, physical health, health care, travel, wider horizons, and learning from others to appreciate the local gifts, around you which you may have overlooked, and all that is all an extra.

Perhaps a happy medium is achieved when we realize that nothing is really permanent. Seeking may reinforce a notion of lack of something and the more you seek it the more it seems to elude you and recede into a distant horizon.

Einstein said: "If you want to understand the theoretical physicists do not merely listen to what they say, observe what they do." The same principle applies to all people in all situations.

Drugs and alcohol?

Spoken like a true musician. So many of your peers seem to have turned to those to cope, tho I'm sure you were offering this tongue in cheek...

@TomMcGiverin Yes, it was tounge in cheek, though the weed definitely helps.

Focus on the things that matter to you and that will make you enjoy life more. And learn the signs people display when showing who they are if they are troubled individuals and whether or not they should be avoided.

To start with ... "To thine own self be true".

Yup, if you can't accept and like yourself, nobody else will do that either regarding you.

Simple!!!

Life is what you make it!!!

There will be and always have been bad, evil, cruel individuals!!!

You do not have to be one of those, unless you are an cruel, bad, and evil individual!!!

You have asked an ancient question - maybe the most ancient question. And ancient questions usually have ancient answers. The problem with ancient answers - for modern folk - is that fewer and fewer modern folk speak or understand “ancient”.

So here’s a modern translation.
Our species was designed by evolution to live in small, nomadic groups of mostly related individuals, who foraged for food.

When we discovered we could grow our own food, we took up a lifestyle we were not evolved to fit - living in large, stationary groups of mostly strangers. We moved from a small egalitarian society to a large hierarchical society, and altered our environment so rapidly that our physiology still has not had time to adapt.

So... in order to function in a way that is even remotely satisfactory to our stone age bodies and brains, we have to retrain our minds, to counterbalance the evolutionary mismatch.

This means some kind of regular practice. A lot of the early practices developed for this purpose were expressed in metaphor and myth, much of which is unacceptable to modern, educated minds. So we have to be able to see past the allegorical renderings to the objective advice at the core.

One such practice, that the West has recently borrowed from the East, mostly stripped of its mythology now, is meditation. An alternative practice, that might be more suited to the Western mind, is simply studying the known science regarding the forces that made humans human.

When we deeply understand our own nature, we lose our most reliable excuses for being unhappy. It’s not an easy or quick path, but there probably isn’t one. It is, at least, a possible path, if pursued to fruition.

Best wishes.

skado Level 9 Aug 9, 2021

...and if you’re not ready to take up a regular “practice” my friend Fernapple’s advice below is sterling. It is, in fact, a sort of practice in its own right, and a more accessible one than the one I’ve suggested.

“ When we discovered we could grow our own food”
i’ve read several treatises that suggest that that was the beginning of the end for us, ya
weird huh

@bbyrd009
Yep. Weird, but likely true. At least for most of our current numbers. My guess is it will lead to our extinction, or to near-extinction, from which we may very slowly recover, or not. Animals, it turns out, just don’t know how to manage large brains.

Stop watching the news....the future looks grim. Concentrate on your family relationships.

For all of you that have them! To the rest of you, I got nothin'.

Well that’s the trick isn’t it?

It's been like that since man started walking upright, it's never gonna change. Man is a destructive animal.

Your comment reminded me of this picture

@JonnaBononna that's on my bucket list. But I will be in a cage.

Happiness will never be a permanent state for any human being. We will have moments of happiness, and , if we live well and are lucky we will have prolonged periods of satisfaction. That is the best we can hope for.

...depending on how we define happiness.

“If you can't be happy with nothing, you won't be happy with anything” which might sound trite, but we have very little experience with having nothing, which might engender more appreciation for what we do have, even to appreciating not being lying, exploitive, and cruel, which let’s admit you might have seen coming, and likely even chose in a weird way, and will likely choose again, in the “pursuit of happiness”

so it can easily be one of those things where the more you pursue it, the farther away it gets, and having that perspective would naturally attract you to the exploitive, abusing, etc, rather than those you prefer.

We live in such abundance that its easy to become complacent and unappreciative of what we do have, and the pursuit of nothing will engender appreciation, if done right. A night alone in a cave—or even an empty room, or a sensory deprivation tank—will bring you face to face with your “monster,” and if you can make peace with it then things invariably improve. This is basically meditation with all outside stimuli removed, and you should even hallucinate pretty strongly at some point

best of luck, and don’t get discouraged when you can only go ten minutes, or an hour, without running screaming from your monster, ok; 24 hours of deliberate nothing takes a while to achieve. Like a year.

loved fernapple’s advice also, but this will be for when that just seems too alien to even start practicing, lets say, bc those ppl are likely going to seem incomprehensible to you at first; instant gratification is a hard drug, and we are pretty much all addicted

if you observe a baby whose needs have all been met, it quickly becomes apparent that we do not need to learn how to be happy, so much as unlearn how to be unhappy

@bbyrd009 A baby whose needs have all been met. Doesn't that change things a lot?

@JeffMurray ya, i guess the analogy isnt perfect, but it does illustrate a point? I prefer the "dog" analogy myself, for "be here now," but we havent really even broached that aspect yet i guess

Do not allow your happiness to be dependent upon the actions of others. There ARE “good” people in the world. Be one and you will be happy.

Easy, just pick your associations.

Scrambled.

Happiness comes from within. Practice meditation.

Mvtt Level 7 Aug 9, 2021

You cannot control the actions of others. We all should live, learn, and grow. In my 4 lifelong relationships (3 of them were marriage) I finally had 2 relationships last about 12 years each. Monogamy doesn't always lead me to cheat but it does get stale. I'm happy doing what I like to do and not happy giving in to something another likes to do. I say this because people need their own space and they do grow in different directions. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy making women happy but I do not like drama. I love TV and movies and they are all about drama. Maybe that's where we learn it. I was once a part of drama but no more. I tell others that I am "shattered." I get lonely at home but I have peace of mind. It is hard for me to be around my own children and their families because of the drama. I do my yardwork, watch TV and movies, and just enjoy being behind my closed door and away from the world. Three days a week I have to once again enter the insanity before I can be in my world again.

Lasting happiness is not possible. One can achieve some contentment by embracing Nihilism, Existentialism and Absurdism.

I have lasting happiness with my girlfriend, we have been together for 14 years. It has been the best years of my life. She feels the same way.

Lasting happiness is very possible, just not easy.

@skado yes indeed, for example, you could go through an unwanted divorce, complete with lifetime alimony, & wake up about 6 months later to realize your life is By Far the best it has ever been....just sayin'

Who are "others"? I have a handful of people close to me who I can trust, and I have a dog and a puppy that are my soul mates. I'm sure small happiness is happening in your life right now.

Ryo1 Level 8 Aug 9, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:614754
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.