Agnostic.com

16 8

5 Billion bibles have been printed according to the Guinness Book of records, and a further 100 million roll off the presses each year. Most contain atrocities,false hopes and in some cases lies The ' Faithful ' would not believe in the revised and cleaned up version after all it IS the word of god . It would also possibly be easier to refute a revised version because it would be showing up inconsistencies.

Mcflewster 8 Aug 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All that wood pulp .What a waste of natural resources

I agree that the Bible’s are a waste of resources but I also realize that most Christains are far better people than the left wing idiots on this website.

@Trajan61 You know by now that I definitely agree with you on that matter.

5 billion copies of the 2000 year old sheep herders beliefs. No amount of bibles can detract from the truth that it is all fantasy and delusion. just as no amount of belief can create truth from untruth. 2 plus 2 is always 4. No amount of belief that 2 plus 2 is 5 can make 2 plus 2 equal 5. It is 4.

If one goes to the website biblegateway.com, they would find a list of dozens of different English translations of the Bible. One can look up a passage - a verse, a chapter, or more - and switch between translations. For many, the translations are different ways of saying pretty much the same thing, but not all of them are. Some passages have differences in nuance and others would appear to have very different meanings.

Here is an example:
New Life Version - John 1:1-5
"1 The Word (Christ) was in the beginning. The Word was with God. The Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 He made all things. Nothing was made without Him making it. 4 Life began by Him. His Life was the Light for men. 5 The Light shines in the darkness. The darkness has never been able to put out the Light."

King James Version - John 1:1-5
"1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not."

Damn. How many trees died for this ????

twill Level 7 Aug 12, 2021

Doubting God's word is blasphemy. Well done, carry on the good work.

It is "dressed up" blasphemy??

@Mcflewster

You are totally upfront, direct and like the devil.

The faithful will believe in anything the church tells them to. But I am going to read more about what they have cleaned up. Thanks for the post.

@St-Sinner Best compliment in my memory. Hope I do not misuse the devilish bit.

Please tell us some results of your search.

I used to see a Babble copy in every motel and hotel room 20 years ago, now not so much. Anyone knows why?

People I deliver parts to told me that they are taking bible copies out of motel and hotel rooms and replacing them with something else. These people go to an Assembly of God church, they cannot tell me who "they" are, and they have no idea what the bibles are being replaced with. They got the info in their church.

We are winning?

Wow! Five billion Bibbles full of babble! That's enough Bibbles to build a Tower of Bibble Babbel!

Understanding "Elohim" would help people understand the biblical text being "the word of god". The people writing the text is the "gods" .

Elohim ... denotes God, angels, judges, and the rulers of countries, ..."[ [en.m.wikipedia.org].

Word Level 8 Aug 11, 2021

I.e the privileged.

i think its easy, particularly in the OT, to attempt to read Conquest Genre literature as historical account, like a believer does iow

But even history is getting more critical. Ref Lucy Worsley on BBC player. Fine to read one person's account but only pick out those parts which are common to unconnected alternatives.

Just like 'plain language' legal contracts, once you take out the where for, thou art archaic language, the deception becomes more evident.

They also contain the remnants of millions of trees chopped down before they could fulfill their destiny of creating oxygen.

Think about all the tree's that were destroyed to print that shit on. What a waste.

It would depend on how it was revised. If revised properly, it would have fewer inconsistencies.

skado Level 9 Aug 11, 2021

hmm well so you say, but i suggest that the inconsistencies are installed on purpose, to present a puzzle; the bad translations, not so much tho

@Gwendolyn2018
There's an angle from which I can see some truth in that perspective. In Biblical scholarship there is a long established thread of thought that such ancient texts are not to be understood by a literal interpretation, as would a history book, but as inspirational or symbolic poetry. When read this way, many of the points that would otherwise appear conflicted then start to make sense. I think many if not most religious people relate to their traditional texts in this more symbolic and intuitive way, even though they often also get caught up in some literal translation of selected parts.

I assume you mean IYO. If so it will be IMO too

@Mcflewster
Not just my opinion, but in the opinions of philosophers and scholars who spent their whole lives studying it. That doesn’t guarantee it’s true, but when people refuse to look at or consider such interpretations... I wonder why.

@Gwendolyn2018
A rock is always a rock, but stories don’t work like rocks. They are more like a piece of music that can be played different ways and still be enjoyable.without worrying why it was a different tempo this time. Or like a painting that means different things to different viewers. Religion is more like art than science or history. If a person doesn’t enjoy a particular art form that’s fine, but to say that no one else can either is just... well, not true.

@Gwendolyn2018
Why not? The fact that we can't get everyone to agree on a particular perspective is not proof that a legitimate perspective can't exist.

@Gwendolyn2018
Of course. But I haven't defended literalism - just the opposite. As far as I'm concerned, the people who take it literally and believe it's true are little different from those who take it literally and believe it's meaningless gibberish. It's neither. But mythology can be both deeply meaningful to individuals who have the capacity to apprehend it intuitively or aesthetically, and to scientists, philosophers, or anyone who studies it from an anthropological or psychological perspective. And even the literalist believer's experience can be made sense of from an evolutionary perspective. It is serving a need in that person that was bequeathed to them by biological and cultural evolution. it's not, as many here often claim, a sign of mental illness, incompetence, or criminality. It's human nature behaving exactly as evolution designed it.

The crazy evangelicals think it is the word of god. Biblical "scholars" will say it was inspired by god. I think the evangelicals are jealous of the Muslims and their claim.

just ignore those guys, maybe, and see what the bible says about itself, and it becomes obvious that the bible is not the Word, they heard the word and then searched the scriptures, to see if it was true etc

Good point

It is a fact, that most of the fundies and evangelicals, almost universally, prefer the King James. Which is almost universally regarded by most biblical scholars, as the most mixed up confused and inaccurate of all the versions. Funny that ain't it.

reading in the original via a lexicon def clears some things up

@Gwendolyn2018 Yes they also added the commandment about not making images, and an extra verse to the Song Of Solomon, the one which explains how it is really all metaphor and not sexual. They also added the resurrection story, to the gospel of Mark, since it seems that the earliest gospel did not originally include it, wonder why?

@Gwendolyn2018 interesting!

@Gwendolyn2018, @Fernapple interesting!

@Gwendolyn2018 I suspect that St Paul being educated was probably in the know, and what he knew was that the gospels were works of fiction. But no proof.

The King James editors though, only took the story of the resurection from the other three gospels, and in the seventeenth century they were probably long past having to worry about pagans at least at home.

Mmmm Damn!! That’s a helluva lotta brainwashed people!!

Let’s hope they are dying off for real……faster the better.

Well they do like the covid it seems?! 🤔

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:615116
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.