Agnostic.com

6 9

Weird, I was watching "The Big Bang Theory" and in the dialog mentioned that you can't tie a knot in more than three dimensions since it would just slip loose if there were more. So I looked it up and found out there's an entire branch of science devoted to knots called knot theory. I find it interesting because it could apply to quantum mechanics and the way the dimensions can form knots that correspond to quarks and bosons and such in the quantum zoo. Four dimensional space time has examples of quantum particles entirely missing a dimensional effect, like photons have no bond to time, while being wondrously free of the Higg's field despite it's bonds to the three spatial dimensions which makes it follow the contours of a gravity well due to spatial distortion.
What if a photon is bonded to Higg's and free of Time, what properties would we see of this preposterous particle?
I have no idea but it's an interesting puzzle.

Willow_Wisp 8 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In American Alpine Club's annual report of climbing accidents, some remain mysterious, unsloved. We rely on knots more than anything else, including our own common sense. Could there be a link?

Thank you. Interesting difference in meaning for 'knots.' In HS I loved Physics and a bit of this is still active today. However, even I don't fully understand the question. Sounds like the theoretical branch of physics. Have you seen the video "Particle Fever?" I have watched it several times and even my late partner, who knew nothing of physics but who loved science, loved it. It is very slow at times but the machine, inter-nationality of people, the combining of theoretical and applied physics are overwhelming. One idea that really got me excited was the idea that the energy level of the Higgs-Boson particle could signify the presence of a multiverse (another amazing idea which makes perfect sense). A local physicist friend and I often get into a debate for this idea and he doesn't believe it and I do. Here is the trailer:

and even the full video:

There are many rabbit holes one can go down when starting out with a simple query. I am not entirely unfamiliar with these theories but clearly I am not on the level of understanding as yourself but I do know who's on first. 🙂😁🙃

What do you think I am a rocket surgeon?

I feel stupid when I read your posts.

If it's something you're not familiar with then why feel insecure?
Why is it funny to some that I thought Koby Bryant was a football player?
Apparently he's not, although I don't know or care which he did play, and if anyone told me it wasn't important enough to remember.
I know him for crashing a helicopter. As a hanglider pilot in the early 90's with some flight training on a Cessna in the 80's I've been around experimental and unique aircraft and I've witnessed a lot of crashes so it was interesting or I wouldn't know his name.
I was the same way with John Denver, I seldom like Country and Western music, and even then it's the music from the Spaghetti Westerns so not country at all.

I like the note that knots in more than three dimensions would slip loose. If one imagines that quarks are wrinkles in space-time, it is reassuring that knots cannot form in the string/wrinkle.

As to the photon/Higg's particle combination, it would be an Higg's particle at a slightly higher energy. But I believe Higg's particles decay super-fast, so not much to talk about. I don't know that photons ever confer their timeless nature on any particles.

No the game is to categorize the dimensions and which combinations knot to form quantum particles.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:620670
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.