Agnostic.com

59 9

Any booklovers on this group? What authors/genres/topics do you like reading?

Any booklovers on this group? What authors/genres/topics do you like reading? Are you on Goodreads? Do you participate in readathons? (I put this question in Life and Meaning, but I would love a Hobbies category. Just because we are atheists doesn't mean we only talk about atheism.)

JamieB 5 Oct 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

lately it has been dean koontz. read alot of james patterson light reading lee childs.

Don't ask me - I've got a collection bigger than the Library of Congress!

Actually I've read only a handful "from cover-to-cover" :

THE LITTLE PRINCE by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

THE JUNGLE BOOK by Rudyard Kipling

CONGO by Michael Crichton

AN ACT OF GOD by Charles Templeton

DISPENSATIONAL TRUTH by Clarence Larkin

NOLI ME TANGERE by Dr.Jose Rizal

THE BOURNE IDENTITY by Robert Ludlum

THE DAY OF THE JACKAL by Frederick Forsyth

THE HONOURABLE SCHOOLBOY by John le Carré

UNCLE FRANK: The Biography of Frank Costelo by Leonard Katz

HONOR THY FATHER by Gay Talese

PRINCES OF PLUNDER by David Guyatt

GOLD WARRIORS: America's Secret Recovery of the Yamashita Treasure by Sterling and Peggy Seagraves

Reading non-fiction lends great insight into some of the things happening in the world today. I read a lot about drug cartels and the Middle East. Black Flags, The Great War of Our Time, and Perfect Soldiers are good reads.

I love to read! My favorite author is Dick Francis, I've read everything he wrote.
One of my favorite books is Good Vibes by Jay Cronley (it was made into movie called Let it Ride), it is hilarious, as are his other books, 2 more were made into movies, Funny Farm and Quick Change.
I'll also read any book about horses, fiction or non-fiction, especially if it involves horse racing.
I'm currently reading 'The Women of the Otherworld' series by Kelley Armstrong.

YES, I am a bibliophile through and through. I even sniff books which became a problem when I got my Kindle and later my iPad! I would go to a bookstore and smell the book I was currently reading. Reading was a tactile and sensory activity for me and e-readers took all that away. I got over that however when I discovered that I could highlight a word and get the definition right on the page. O-M-G, what a gift. I no longer keep a dictionary on my pillow and a yellow marker on my bed's headboard. LOL

These days I read a lot of non-fiction. So far in my life, I've read 864 books. I hope to read (and be able to remember the last 3) 1,001 books (like Scheherazade's 1,001 nights of stories) before I die. Since I'm 70, I better hurry up

I read science books, psychology books, science fiction, good fiction (not romance novels), award-winning books. Actually, my list of books (started when I was about 13 years old) shows the various stages of my life like marriage, sex, childbirth, parenting, divorce, self-help and therapy books etc. I don't do book clubs anymore because I want to read what I want to read and not what others want to read. Besides, because I read a lot of non-fiction, I don't read quickly. If I'm reading good fiction, I can read two books a month but if I'm reading non-fiction, depending on the size of the book, I read about one a month. These days I've been reading more about atheism so I can talk reasonably intelligent about a subject near and dear to me.

SO, what about you? What do you read?

I keep a list too. I only started it in 2007, when I realized I no longer remembered which sci-fi books I binge-read between my 2 undergrad degrees and during the college summers when I didn't have summer classes. I read fast, so I usually finish 100-200 books per year, in almost all genres. My list also reflects what I was doing each year, which makes it a fun sort of journal to reminisce by sometimes. I only wish I had started my list when I was in middle school so I could see all the changes in my reading from when I was younger, too. 🙂

I haven’t read anything in a while, instead I listen to audio books. I’m a big fantasy fan; RA Salvatore, GRR Martin, Brandon Sanderson, etc. I read Harry Potter so much in high school I actually got grounded for reading too much! 😛 I’ve dabbled a bit in gothic romance (ie vampires/werewolves). Specifically Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson) and Laurell K. Hamilton (Anita Blake).

Whoever grounded you for reading too much has really backwards priorities, imho. I liked Harry Potter, but I was in college when the first book was published, so I didn't grow up with it, and couldn't relate as strongly to the school-aged characters (compared with my younger friends' experiences with that series, anyway). I love Sanderson's books. His next book in the Stormlight Archives series is coming out very soon, which I am very excited about.

Oh snap, really?! That’s awesome! I’m preordering that ASAP!

Just because I can, a few name drops ;p I count among my friends Jody Lynn Nye, John Ringo, Michael Z Williamson, Eric Flint, Tom Krautman, Cedar Sanderson, Esther Friesner, and a few other writers. I haven't met Flint, Friesner or Krautman face to face. The others I actually know.

I'm friends with the writer Richard Kalich

Mostly fantasy novels. I'm currently reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I'm also a big fan of Neil Gaiman, Isaac Asimov, Terry Prachett, and of course J.R.R. Tolkien.

I'm a true bibliophile, just not enough time right now to read much. Mostly ancient history, especially books on Egypt. As far as novels, I'm a big fan of Frank Herbert, Jean Auel, Robert Heinlein, and I even liked L. Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth series.

I am a librarian, but the irony is I seem to never have time to read. Also, I work in a middle school, so my reading tends to be straight YA. I've seen a lot of sci-fi, fantasy, and non-fiction science and biography in these lists. I read whatever I think I can pimp to my low SES, minority kids. Jason Reynolds is my passion right now. He's going to be at our author festival this coming February and I'm so excited! (Previous authors we've hosted include Brandon Sanderson, whom I've seen mentioned here. He's an odd duck [and I mean that in the nicest way].) I am on Goodreads, but I don't really review books past the ratings. I can barely keep my head above water with all the great new stuff coming out all the time.

Half-Bad Trilogy - Sally Green. A must read. End of story.

Sam Harris has a lot of good books out.

Science books. "The China Study", on Netflix, "Fork over Knives" & "What The Health".

Historical Fiction and Non Fiction. I am also a writer of both.

I have library of books in my hometown mountain village in North Africa, also in Scotland I have small collection of books 🙂. Im on Goodreads. My favourite books I have read recently first Homo Deus by Yuval Harari (highly recommended) Second Why Nations Fail by Daron Acemoglu and James A. Robinson.

Yes I am a book lover and collector. Also an author just not yet published. I love all types of genres. I'm reading Deep Nutrition..and Russell Brands Recovery at this time.

Fantasy, mystery, horror. I have a queue. After I read the Night Angel trilogy by Weeks(which I have put off for freaking months) I've got to read I See You by Claire Mackintosh, The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins(haven't yet seen the movie), the Iliad and the Odyssey both by Homer, the complete H.P. Lovecraft collection and The Snowman(soon to be a movie. Might bump this to the top of the list after I finish at least the first third of Weeks.

Charlaine Harris is one of my favorite authors. She wrote the Sookie Stackhouse novels which spawned the True Blood series on HBO. The novels are much much better than the show was.

Isaac Asimov, Carl Sagan, Richard Dawkins, and J.R.R. Tolkien are some of my favorite authors.

I'll read any genre of book, though. The only types are books I don't really read the "50 Shades of Grey" Soccer Mom knock-offs that have over saturated the romance section of books in recent years.

I am a lover of Stephen King, Clive Barker, Anne Rice, Dan Brown, Steve Berry, Patricia Cornwell, Ken Follet, Ted Dekker, Larry McMurry Raymond Khoury, H.P. Lovecraft and J.R.R. Tolkien. Love horror, History, Mystries, Fantasy and Westerns. Going to have to check out Goodreads.

I like a lot of different genres. My favorite writers are Mark Twain, Larry McMurtry, Anne Tyler, John Irving and Joe Lansdale. I read westerns for fun. Read a lot of history. Prefer fiction to non-fiction. "Life of the Mississippi" is my favorite book.

I'm a voracious reader. I devour books that hook me, but even if a book turns out not to click with me, I never leave a book unfinished. Except Ulysses; I got halfway through it, and I just couldn't do it anymore. I'm really into American modernism, American stream-of-consciousness, French existentialists, late 19th century French fiction, and historical nonfiction. I just finished a collection of every short story Kurt Vonnegut ever wrote; published or not. What are you into?

I'm a author with two novels published and one on the way. I love Science Fiction and that's what I enjoy writing. My favorite authors (and it's not me) is Alastair Reynolds, Ben Bova, and Stephen King (to limit to three.) Topics could range from revenge seeking captains to the discovery of new worlds.

A hobby category would be great.

Gohan Level 7 Jan 6, 2018

I always have a book or two going. I loved Vince Flynn’s series, Stephen King, Jeffrey Archer. I am weirdly obsessed with the Hunger Games series and have recently been persuaded to make my way through the Harry Potters.
Reading a good book now for an upcoming atheist meet-up, “The Righteous Mind: Why Good people are divided by politics and religion.”

I primarily read fantasy, urban fantasy and sci-fi, particularly military sci-fi. I also read westerns, thrillers, horror, historical romance, don't do true crime though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:632
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.