Agnostic.com

7 4

LINK Would You Take a Pill That Could Turn Atheists Into Believing Christians?

The future of the pharmaceutical industry perhaps?

I was wondering which Christian you would wake up as -- Catholic, Protestant, Evangelical, or some other cult?

Like the author, I decline.

I like the general idea though. Maybe there could be a pill so that lizard brained right wingers wake up as progressives who care about the world and other people and not just their money and guns. Maybe Trump voters can wake up on Earth 1 where most of us try to live.

All very Aldous Huxley

David1955 8 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why would any sane person do that. It might be a good to turn a type of mental illness (religion) into a non-belief individual.
Thanks, reminded me of a post about the pharmaceutical industry I wanted to add.

Yes I would take it to prove it doesn't work.

My “believing Xian” life was too awful.

It may be all very well Aldous Huxley or even sinisterly, Orwellian. Implicit is the notion that belief(s) systems have a chemical cause. Perhaps research (utterly futile ) could be conducted into the chemical causes of Judaism, Islam and Buddism etc etc. They are simply belief systems.

I don't think chemicals can induce beliefs, unless part of some kind of brain washing program like Manchurian Candidate, but they can alter mood, behaviour and judgement, temporarily, though possibly with long term effects. I've always had an acute dislike of drugs, even pot, because I've seen the way people change. In this respect I'm quite conservative ( lower case 'c' ) despite my Left ideology on politics and social and economic issues.

There is no way that I would ever consider taking such a pill. I have enough trouble as it is with the complexities of life without reducing my own brain to a pile of useless mush.

All joking aside, I greatly fear that if the pharma industries produce every day happy pills and they become acceptable, then many people will be popping all day to stay 'happy', like Aldus Huxley but worse. Yuk.

There's a hormone, oxytocin, which increases feelings of love, bonding, caring, etc. The brain secretes it under certain circumstance, like when you look a loved one in the eye. It's available in prescription form also. It's called Pitocin, and they give it to new mothers to control excess bleeding, to make the uterus contract. I had it when my son was born. Maybe that would help right wingers, if they have enough complex brain structure to react to it. 🙂

Yes, the lack complexity in the structures of the brains of right wingers is certainly a valid consideration.

I'd like to believe an anti-cult drug is possible and is certainly a worthy endeavor.

We have it. It's called by various names; weed, pot, reefer, and Mary Jane are a few. Have you noticed that religious affiliation has been going down as medicinal/recreational pot has gone legal? I doubt that's coincidence.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:636567
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.