Agnostic.com

27 8

Why do males love loud noises? Come on, guys, please explain.

Male jackasses have been blasting bombs (sounds like it) and illegal fireworks since it got dark at four p.m. We go through this on Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve, July 4th, Labor Day, ad nauseum. Every July 4th, they illegally start raging wildfires.

Due to extreme fire danger (climate change), personal fireworks have been banned for the last five years. What do rednecks do? Brag about driving hundreds of miles to Idaho or an Indian reservation (they refuse to call them Native Americans) to load up on fireworks. "FREEDOM!"

I want to go to bed. No point. They never stop until after two a.m. They are a scourge on humanity. What the hell? Men, please explain.

My thermostat is set to drop to 65-degrees at eleven p.m. Shivering hard, I dived into bed under a down comforter. Ahh....

At midnight... KA-BOOM! The cacophony woke me up. Wrapped in a down coat, I watched fireworks from the bedroom window. It was beautiful.

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This will explain the complex male Psych

@Dhiltong

Hilarious and apt.

Same reason as males drive loud cars.They are saying "hey, look at me." It is compensation for lack of intelligence, character, and several inches.

@Gwendolyn2018 One of the key words, 'young.' There once was, and probably still is, a market for really loud mufflers. Seems like that's an oxymoron - loud muffler.

@Gwendolyn2018 I agree about the crotch rockets. If it's not loud guys don't want them. Now that more and more electric bikes are coming out will they have to install special noise makers so the guys will be attracted?

Loudness might be another vicious cycle. Loud noises when young often leads to hearing loss when old so the old farts have to turn up the volume even more. Even when I was 'younger' I hated the loud. powerful American sports cars. My first two cars were mild but maneuverable British sports cars. A group of us guys once made a trip to see the formula 1 (Grand Prix) race at Watkins Glen. The noise was unbearable.

@JackPedigo

A deal breaker for me is guys who refuse to wear their hearing aids. Most often they didn't wear ear protection while shooting guns. They thought it was "too pussy." Idiots abound.

Even in my early 20s, as a musician I always wear ear plugs at loud concerts. And around screaming, revving plane engines. I met a pilot who lost over 50% of his hearing from walking between the airplane and the building. I keep ear plugs in my purse.

I refuse to spend the rest of my life shouting and repeating myself. Witty banter is a great joy.

Now I have excellent hearing. Yesterday I heard a small "ping" when I knocked a little cardboard jigsaw puzzle piece onto the rug. Looked down and there it was. Yay!

@Gwendolyn2018 I had a Triumph (herald - base of the Spitfire but with a 4 seater body) and a Austin Healy sprite. Neither were noisy. The thing about electric bikes is they have more hp than the gas powered ones.

@Gwendolyn2018 Sorry to hear about the hearing issue. My daughter had constant ear infections and we were always given meds to clear up the infections. One pediatrician finally told us the infections were cause by children's ear canals not being properly aligned and would hold water (another poor design by the 'maker'😉. My hearing is still very good but the tinnitus has started. Funny, it seems it gets worse when I'm agitated.

@Gwendolyn2018

Sorry to hear of your hearing issues. Hugs.

@Gwendolyn2018 I have heard there are ways to deal with this issue. It affects a majority of people in a certain 'stage of life.' I'm sure you know what causes this problem. I have heard some people have been led to suicide because it was so unbearable.
BTW, is my new picture coming through? Marianville says it's still the same old flower one. She inspired me to make a change for the new year.

@JackPedigo Triumph GT6 was my 1st car

@Kempster45 So basically a Spitfire. Fun cars but all pieces of junk. In Germany they had a saying for owners of Jaguars, "Once you own one you'll always own one, because you could never get rid of it." I learned a lot about auto maintenance from those cars.

@JackPedigo Well a Spitfire with a inline six and roof. Yup British cars suck that's true but the whole front of that car popped up and you could sit on the tire and work on almost anything from there. Wanna learn about car repair buy British .... but that was back in the day. Now we're just old farts complaining about Noise LOL

@Gwendolyn2018 Electric = more power and speed….but there will be some who put cards to the spokes

Male equivalent to short skirts and low cut blouses, it’s just vying for attention

@Gwendolyn2018 Electric cars and trucks are Aok with me. I can't imagine myself liking an electric motorcycle however.

@Canndue I jus wanna shift & rev when I ride my bike !! That's a big part of my joy !
No automatic transmission for me !!
And btw....my bike is super quiet

@Gwendolyn2018 Cool ! My last manual was 1973 Chevy C60 dump truck. I sold it around 2006.

A couple of months ago I had a job out of town. I found a local guy to rent a dumpster from for the job. He sent out an old beater C60 ! Just like my old one. But sadder and junkier.....

I pulled onto the job, 6:30 am, still dark out and realized that I needed to move that truck over a couple of feet. Barely got it started (Had a Choke even !). Let it warm up, then, without thinking about it all,
I threw that sucker into gear....With No Clutch Action ! I forgot about the damn clutch !! LOL It'd been 15 years since I last used one .

Damn that had to be a bigger commotion than fireworks at midnight ! I sheepishly got my act together and used the clutch after that.

@Gwendolyn2018 Typically a 3 speed plus reverse
Aren't they called a 3 speed on the column ?

@Kempster45 That was my Triumph. Open the whole Bonnet and have the tire for a seat. The MGC also had a six cylinder and the Triumph Vitesse was like my Herald but with a different hood and six.

I would hope all the drive train was different from the standard four. For me, the ultimate machine was the Austin Healy 3000.

@JackPedigo Here's mine !

[motorcycle.com]

@Gwendolyn2018 I learned at school in a chevy wagon. The shifter on the steering wheel stalk is known as three on the tree. I did change my pic. and the new one shows up on my side. either it takes time or I didn't do something.

@Gwendolyn2018 that’s all good and well, but when you dress in an attractive manner, from a male’s perspective, your intent isn’t in the top 5 points of consideration. (Key word is “attractive&rdquo😉

You have the right to walk through a slum with 100 dollar bills hanging out of your pockets, but you will likely be robbed, regardless how you feel about it.

@twill I love the sound of a fully muffled Harley, but then these idiots put straight pipes on them and they sound like shit. The advantage of a loud bike is making your presence known to other drivers, disadvantage is the noise. As far as electric goes, having full torque available can be exhilarating.

@Gwendolyn2018 At least you don't put all your postings in capital letters. We should be happy. lol
BTW, I prefer shorter hair. After years of cleaning shower/sink drains, give me practicality every time. Is my new pic there now?

@Gwendolyn2018 I hear ya, people can take things to the extreme. If your an attractive woman, you are the “prey”. If there is no interest, there is no interest, but you don’t know if you don’t try. Unfortunately, that’s the way it’s always been.. and, to be fair, I’ve known several women who were less than, shall we say subtle in their approach.

@JackPedigo but you still don’t walk up to them and start feeling their hair without a proper invite, right?

@Gwendolyn2018 ah the game of love….no written rules…and everyone plays differently. Be well, stay safe…let’s see what we can do in 2022!

@Gwendolyn2018 The capital letters was in reference to speaking loudly. Seems to me shorter hair would be easier to care for. When my hair gets longer more get caught in the shower trap. I asked the local barber why my hair seems to grow so long at the back. He said because there's better blood flow at the back of the neck. I do prefer it a little longer but it's a pain.

@Gwendolyn2018 at advanced ages, lust wanes, but having a friend and partner to share time with can be a beautiful thing but not a requirement. As long as you’re happy, and hurting no one, it’s all good in my book 😎.

@Gwendolyn2018 😂 well, there’s that. Maybe you should give a written test to all suitors?

@Gwendolyn2018 you said: but apparently, all but one of the men who have contacted me (and there are a lot) can't read. It isn't that they "can't" read, they choose not to. They choose to believe that they are the answers to your prayers if you would only dumb down enough.

@Gwendolyn2018 The hair being thicker (shows our differences in seeing things) at the back is normal for me. My hair is thinning all over (meaning the hair itself is getting thin as I am not getting bald). Baldness and even going gray early is not in my family.

I had to laugh at the term 'tension' baldness. During my first marriage I noticed my hair was thinning at the peak (like a monk). After we split it grew back and is of normal thickness. The tension was actually stress from that relationship.

A agree with the washing bit ans neither myself or my late partner washed our hair more than once a week and neither of us used the hair dryer, ever. Her short hair was full and very thick. I guess everybody has their own ways which may work for them.

Am re-watching the farm series and on a segment of Medieval Farm, Ruth, one of the moderators, had a discussion of women and hair in those times. They felt washing hair was bad and never did. But, everyday they used a fine comb to remove dirt and body oils. You like history: [historynaked.com]

@Gwendolyn2018 Of course, I knew that!

Now it's my turn to say gotcha on the tension bit. Tension can be meant is several ways (of course, you know that so what am I thinking!?

@Gwendolyn2018 Can butting heads also cause tension baldness? I understood your point but was using 'tension' to make another point.

@Gwendolyn2018 Remember I got(cha) but I was only adding to other, more personal causes of hair loss. I think if this thread continues much longer you will have to call me friar Jack.

I will attempt to reply to your post. It seems to me that the most obvious reason is that loud noises attract attention. The boy or man with a loud exhaust system on his motorcycle or car attracts attention. A teenager who has acquired his first motorcycle may change the exhaust system to make his 125 cc motorcycle sound more powerful than it really is and the same holds true for cars.

The reasons for making loud noises may be as varied as the people who make loud noises. However, whatever the reasons it attracts attention and may simply be fuelled by an insatiable desire to be noticed
I think it was Leo Tolstoy who said that to marry a woman from the upper classes was to swallow the whole poison of civilization. Then he married a woman from the upper classes. Psychologists call this ambivalence and some people call it an insatiable desire for attention.

I wonder is there a female equivalent?

One female equivalent is clothing.

Compliments quieted my wife.

@yvilletom True from the point of view of being noticed, however, I do not think that it causes much disturbance or annoyance of others.

Ask thirteen-year-old boys. They’ll say you’re weird for asking.

Some adult males remain thirteen.

I'm probably a bit off topic here. To me, the sound of an old Y-block fifties Ford with mellow (not loud) pipes rumbling at idle is some of the best music in the world. I suppose that's because I grew up in that era and have always been a car guy.

Probably cause we’re used to hearing women….

Oooooh. Somebody's tryin' to start a fight.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

@KKGator I know where I would put my bets and it's not on the canoe person.

@JackPedigo I'm in too good of a mood to fight with anyone.
I'll just be over here with my coffee, laughing at the shenanigans.
Happy New Year, Jack!!
😁

@KKGator ☮️

@Canndue

What makes you think it's a "male" thing. I'm male and find the whole thing incredibly annoying.

Aw,-ww, I’ve gotten noise when I even slightly disagreed with you.

@yvilletom Wow, that's pretty pathetic. Feel better now?

@redbai Usually noisier than that.

@yvilletom Again, does your pointless attack make you feel better? Did it give you a thrill to post something totally out of context to personally attack me? Have I taken up space in your head so that you feel a need to personally attack me at any opportunity?

@redbai Period.

@yvilletom Is that validating that I'm in your head and you feel a need to pointlessly lash out or some ambiguous method of trying to exit the dialog after having demonstrated nothing but pettiness?

Big bang, small dick?

Big bang? Started by a Catholic priest. Named by a physicist.

They are idiots

Fortunately I was sheltered by the tree line from viewing any mom and kid pretty stuff which started about 7pm and continued until the heavy stuff approached the witching hour! At witch time the thunderous barrage took place and all explosives were exhausted! Next (this being GA) the mandatory gunfire, repeating volleys first, 6, 8, 12 rounds only to be outdone by some automatic fire. I was beginning to feel drawn into the celebration but wanted to save my RPG's

@Paganlyl

What does "RPG" stand for? I looked it up and it means "Role Playing Games."

Please clarify.

@LiterateHiker " Rocket propelled grenade" and please don't take me seriously, however the gunfire did occur!

Certain dates are just going to be noisy, at least you know when they're coming. Male thing, probably a blanket statement but yeah, I get it, boys play (or played) war, does that have something to with it? I love a good fireworks show personally, managed by the fire dept / community though.

There is good news for you though LiterateHiker

China is the largest manufacturer and exporter of fireworks in the world. Silent fireworks are becoming popular for providing all the beauty without the added explosive sounds imitating artillery and warfare that traumatize pets, wildlife, and many humans.

So they are pretty, but boring?

@Canndue I don't know, I've never seen it, but I know laser light shows are pretty popular, [edm.com] .
I got to agree with you though the noise of explosions kind of makes it. I wouldn't be surprised if fireworks become a thing of the past though.

@Kempster45 laser light shows are great, but every one I’ve seen was accompanied by loud music.

They’ve been around for thousands of years. We’ll always have them on July 4 ‘cause it makes you feel like an American..you know, shooting off something invented in china

@Canndue Yeah .... No, I'm Canadian, NOTHING will ever make me feel like an American.
You're right of course, there's always loud music at laser shows, looks like @literatehiker is beat LOL.
Course the greatest Light Show (just my opinion) ever is silent, gotta hand it to Mother Nature on this one

@Kempster45

Wow! Gorgeous, breathtaking, amazing, orgasmic Northern Lights.

THANK YOU for posting this video. I'm awestruck.

@LiterateHiker My pleasure, I've been lucky enough to see them on a couple of occasions. If you ever get a chance ....

Wow! Gorgeous, breathtaking, amazing, orgasmic, awestruck ..... coincidentally same words I used when I saw your profile picture, just saying LOL 😉

@Kempster45 totally agree, those are magical

@Kempster45 your smooth😉. And you are right, she is a cutie

@Kempster45

Aww... gee... THANK YOU!

@Canndue

Thank you. blush

@LiterateHiker You're welcome, 100% true though, physical beauty and smile aside .... you have that in spades, your love of the outdoors is just as attractive, if that makes sense ....Hope you get a good rest under that down comforter tonight 🙂

@Kempster45

Thank you.

Just updated my profile photo. I seem to have shrunk during the pandemic. It was taken in Oct. 2021. New dress I made.

@LiterateHiker Nice photo, they all are actually, you made that dress?

@Kempster45

Yes, I learned to sew the summer before entering 7th grade.

I tailor clothes to lightly skim my body. And always drop the armpit seams. Nobody likes clothes that pinch under your arms.

@LiterateHiker you have tailoring skills, those dresses fit your form perfectly. That said you know how to wear a pair of jeans, the dress you wore at the wedding suits you. I miss dressing casual formal / formal for work actually.

@Kempster45

For my daughter's wedding, I had my thick, heavy hair styled in a French twist. Thought it would look elegant.

Even with hair spray and a million bobby pins, it slumped out in two hours. Ha ha!

It's the thought that counts.

@LiterateHiker Daughter's wedding, now that's a milestone.

@Kempster45 Incredible video. I collect photos of auroras and use them in my desktop slideshow, and some of these shots are as good as my best, which include a 3D view from the ISS.

GOD DAMMIT ! I had a rough day yesterday. Wanted to take a nap but couldn't fall asleep. Up until 11, a little past, texting, watching Billy Strings, until finally......Sleep Overtook me.

About midnight ....KABOOM, KABOOM , Kay fucking BOOM! Son of a bitch !! NO fucking way !!
I'm awake ...again !
I finally fell back asleep. Shit I was up past 1:30.

Happy Fucking New Years......grrrrrrr. I'll get over it.....

twill Level 7 Jan 1, 2022

@twill

Exactly.

I set the thermostat to drop to 65 degrees at 11:00 p.m. Shivering hard, I dived into bed under a down comforter. Ahh....

At midnight, the cacophony woke me up. KA-BOOM! Wrapped in a down coat, I watched fireworks from the bedroom window. It was beautiful.

@LiterateHiker Good for you! By the time I actually got out of bed to have a look see....they were over! Powerful, but short I guess

@LiterateHiker see, if it wasn’t for the noise, you would have missed it 😉

@LiterateHiker do you have pets?

@Canndue

No pets.

drowns out the chatter.

One female violinist told me young males dislike the sound of violins.

Violins hurt my ears, like scratching chalk boards

It happens all over the world. I never really considered it to be a male behavior. I enjoy the occassional fire cracker in a small setting. But my dog really hates loud noises so I don't like them either. I startle easily so that to is aversive to fire works.

It is really tough on certain animals

Not I;this annoys me as well

This is a good one and a sore point with me. I do not like loud noises. I never did. Years ago in a bar along Hempstead Highway in Houston, Texas my wife and I encountered fireworks. That's right. Inside the bar. We got up and went home. People tell me it is a New Years tradition. I don't get it.

Move into July 4th now with all the fireworks and noises. I do not buy fireworks as an adult. Never ever, and I affectionately call this "Pop Pop Day." I can imagine kids wanting daddy to buy more pop pop and burn up some more money. Others say to me "you don't celebrate your independence?" Somehow they are confused and brainwashed into this. I have had independence my entire life. If you wanna see fireworks go to a firework display in your area.

Last night I got into season 2 of Alex Rider and then went to bed about 9 PM. Strangely, I heard no fireworks in my area this year. I doubt that locals have gotten smarter. Most likely they had no money.

I hate loud noises.

I have no idea, sorry. Loud noises have their place: artillery practice, drum work, blasting in mining. But when it comes to being in company, I enjoy it when there is quiet.

Agreed, unless of course you are enjoying the noise together😉

Maybe there is some social/cultural correlation. I scarcely heard a peep here in Arlington in recent years, but I remember New Year's midnights in St. Louis that sounded like full blown firefights. Fireworks, shotguns, semiautomatics, you name it.

@JackPedigo, @bobwjr, @Mitch07102, @twill, @KKGator, @WayneDalton, @ASTRALMAX, @Gwendolyn2018, @Dhiltong, @HippieChick58, @Jolanta, @Canndue, @Kempster45, @Sofabeast, @Hankster, @yvilletom, @DenoPenno, @piphirho, @nicestuff

All my life, I have hated screaming guitars, drum solos, loud cars and blasting motorcycles.

Fighter jet pilots practice over Washington's Cascade Mountains, crossing low over the Pacific Crest Trail six times a day. The screaming jet engine noise is intolerable. Animals flee. I plug my ears and cringe. Shake it off and move on.

It is cool to watch fighter jets flip sideways and fly through narrow spaces between ridges like threading a needle.

Maybe that should be prefaced with 'conservative' male idiots. I hate noises especially if they are loud and know a lot of other, like minded, guys who feel the same way.

Yes, even here there are those that go against the law and set off fireworks but this year it was totally quiet.

The pain from excessive noise excites us and produces endorphines which we find both pleasurable and addictive. Which is why so many of us males act like dicks in the presence of fireworks and guns!
I adore loud bangs and miss firing guns, but due to hearing loss and not being ready for the grave, I have decided that shooting should be just for the Playstation now, where I can control the volume. Although I do miss the concussion of firing a musket.
I have also encountered a large number of women who enjoy loud noises too, but even more who do not. My late wife and significant ex, both enjoyed the bang of gunpowder and rock music.

i grew up shooting black powder rifles....so fun and boom!

@hankster Yep, since men flock to it it’s bonding time…

If true I am the exact opposite, I hate loud noises. Sudden loud noises make me unreasonably mad, and any loud noise usually causes me to make a very negative comment.

Some men just want to watch the world burn, some just want to watch it make loud pops.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:642526
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.