Agnostic.com

23 23

LINK Oklahoma lawmaker wants to fire teachers who offend students' religious beliefs

A newly proposed bill in Oklahoma from State Senator Rob Standridge would punish any public school teacher who promotes any position “in opposition to closely held religious beliefs of students.” Which — let’s face it — means the bill would punish any public school teacher.

snytiger6 9 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What a coincidence!
I'd like to see lawmakers punished when they violate the Constitution.
You know, like this asshole in Oklahoma.
Among some others.

They should fire lawmakers who have no clue they don’t work for the church when they take a government office.

So there will just about no teachers to teach the students.

There already are none. Some schools have gone to half-days because of the lack of teachers.

That is what the religious right wants, young ignorant brainwashed children.

Teachers almost like nurses are treated like shit under paid and overworked!!!

The obstructionist republican fascists have made sure that the use of religious dribble will help them destroy this country wholesale!!!

What about permanently excluding any student that violates the religious beliefs of any other student?

The great quantity of stupidity among Oklahoma's lawmakers is truly monumental.

I live in Oklahoma and I can confirm.

That's probably because the majority of the lawmakers are willfully ignorant and very religious.

@NoSheep Why are you there, I would assume there are many other places that would welcome you.

@dalefvictor I was raised here, as was my husband, and our family is here.

May I propose a bill whereby State Senators can be punished for offending 'atheistic beliefs'?

It seems a lot of people say Atheism is a religion, so that would be in complete alignment with this bill.

Absolutely!!!

Hopefully publicly Flogged with their own bills!!!

Stupid. They banned a Book about the Holocaust in one state, what’s next? A law forbidding people from eating or drinking at a certain time? I’ve had it with this stupidity.

This is absolutely stupid. Among other things it makes the students in charge of the teachers. Why have school?

So what happens when a muslim student says that the xtian teacher offended them, or the Jewish student or the Church of Satan student oh boy are those guys going to have fun with this.

I would try to take down any teacher that referred to their religion in class or suggested they pray for someone.
I know that mean you can not offend the xtians but...

Standridge will term out in 2024 unfortunately we have to put up with him until then. He's also the author of a bill to require all homeless camping sites to be inspected for sanitation and demolished if they are not up to code.

[oksenate.gov]

Code for personal homeless encampments, where is the text, I would like to read it.

@dalefvictor I'm sorry I'm not smart enough to help you. I'm pretty sure he's referring to some national building code that requires a certain level of sanitation. Since all the homeless encampments I've heard of are peeing in the bushes, that would mean it would give the sheriff the right to tear it down and run them off

@Lorajay What I was trying to say is that I would find it amazing if anyone was actually responsible for writing such a document. I do not think these people have what it takes to actually put something coherent and constitutional in writing. I do not even think most can write. or read.

I'm sure the FFRF or ACLU will take it to court if it becomes a law.

Agreed but I fear the FFRF and ACLU are TOTALLY overloaded at this point. They can only hand a certain case load and funding can't be very sound at this point. It sucks all around.

Does that include Moslem's, Hindu's and Satanists?

Of course not. The vile little shit is hell-bent on ramming his non-existent god down everybody else's throats.

@anglophone I should have added, Catholics or any Protestant sect like JW's or Mormons. Where does one draw the line.Most of these simpletons propose a rule, trying to appeal to a select few but then realize it's a lot more complicated than they realized.

@JackPedigo You raise a valid point.

@anglophone JW's often complain against prayer in schools as their prayers are different. My sister in one (but out of 7 raised as Catholics) she is the only religious person as the rest of us are atheists.

But! Will it only be xtians or will it include Islam? Judaism? Hinduism?

Voodoo? The Norse gods? The gods of ancient Rome and Greece? The Dreamtime? (You might not have heard of that, but it is Indigenous Australian) Shinto?

I am sick and tired of all these Christian supremacists.

He would only want it for his religion.

These people are so soft skinned. They claim to be rugged but they are really soft like warm butter. All these kinds of people want to turn back time too the 1940's or something.

More like 1870 after the civil war!!!

@of-the-mountain agreed, pretty much anytime before civil rights.

@of-the-mountain No before the civil war and in the way they believe society was, not what it really was.

Facts do tend to offend the simple minded….😊

If this becomes law the Pastafarians need to complain about any mention of the Bible in the classroom (with a possible exception for literature classes).

I bet it would take less than a dozen of such complaints before the law would be repealed.

The law would never be allowed to act in such cases.

That kind of law can work both ways, if some parents object to xtion shit. Having been an English teacher, I know lots of xtion allusions in many American works. Hell, most of Early American literature is a study of religious tinged writings - sorry AP folks all these works are on you, I can't touch them.

Because it's Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain, directly from the statehouse and the governor's mansion.

Which students?

What is next your student does not like the people of Texas or New York or Florida because it might offend them over their favorite school or sports team mascot???

Once again a GOPer shows who the real snowflakes are, and who is driving the real cancel culture.

I see no reason for children to go to school or learn anything, apparently they already know enough to chose what they will learn by knowing already what it is. Genius.

Can the teachers at least tell the little heads full of mush that there's no Santa?

And Odin is a fiction, and Zeus is a fiction, and Rob Standridge is God's gift to the world? 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:648424
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.