Agnostic.com

28 17

I haven’t posted here in ages, but I do stick around on several Athiest sites. Today I saw a term used that I hadn’t before: Ex-Christian. I like it much more than Athiest, and it tells the entire story in essentially one word. What does everyone else think?

EyesThatSmile 8 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If asked, I sometimes say atheist or humanist. As atheist, I do have beliefs. I believe in things that can be proven to exist by using my 5 senses and the scientific method.

I don't know if the 5 senses will cover "compassion", of the world and everything and 'everybody' in it, quadruped or two-legged with feathers, even. "Humanist" does enter into it. Big 'yes'!

Considering that there are many Theistic beliefs, I think Ex-Theist would be a more appropriate expression.

I prefer non-theist or nonbeliever . I never had any affiliation with christianity or any other religion.

Ex-Gullible is more accurate. There are also ex-Muslim atheists, etc.

Brilliant! As always.

@EyesThatSmile You flatter me, you charmer you!

I have been so damned "gullible"- I like that "ex-gullible"-- that fits.

The Catholicism I had learned was much more thorough and much more punitive than the Christianity I heard of. After becoming ex-Catholic, becoming ex-Christian was easy.

But choose the term you like best.

You may of course be both.

I'm an ex-Christian and bible study has brought me to this point. There is no going back. I have seen behind the curtain and the mighty Wizard of Oz is a total sham.

For me, the term "ex-Christian" means the person used to be active in professing the Christian religion, and had a sudden or gradual break away from that. In my case, I was raised to be Christian, but it never really took, I kind of doubted the whole thing, though I really did try to believe. Because I never really felt strongly as a Christian, but I do feel strongly about my atheism, I believe straight out Atheist of Agnostic fits me better than ex-anything.

As a child I was, as an adult I'm not. I grew up and am more informed. I am no more ex-christian than I am ex-child.

Betty Level 8 Feb 5, 2022

I prefer anti-theist.

It doesn’t apply to all of us as we are not all ex Christians…or in my case ex anything as I’ve never had a religion. If you like the expression and it fits how you think of yourself then you should use it.

Keep posting - please!

An ex-christian can adopt other religions, so ex-christian does not describe atheist.

Sheeesh. I agree with you on something.

@Mooolah Perhaps there is hope for you yet.

@Alienbeing Hope is preparation for bring disappointed.

@Mooolah Only for people with a negitive attitude.

Ask a Christian theist if there was ever a flood that covered the whole world and the indoctrinated will say, "Yes." Their known-world would be just a small patch of land bordering the east Mediterranean.

Ask them if the Earth was ever 'a ball of fire'- and their probable answer would be, "No." After the big bang, the Earth was a ball of fire for billions of years. Oh damn; I forgot; "the Earth was created in seven days!"

I find arguing with a theist about as interesting as arguing with a four-year-old about why and how Donald Duck speaks.

@creative51 Yep!

Many self described atheists have never been Christian. I have never in my life had any theistic beliefs, Christian or otherwise. I personally prefer the term non-theist for myself.

Why would you believe that the the term " ex- Christian" tells the entire story? Aren't you pre-supposing way too much?

I think that she is only proposing to use it for herself.

@Fernapple Yes. Using it for myself. I am not just an atheist…I have overcome Christian brainwashing. I appreciate that I have learned the theology behind the Bible, if only for social information, but otherwise the transition from Christian to non-Christian can be a difficult, guilt-ridden one. I am happy to say I am ex-Christian. Free thought/will is a wonderful thing.

@EyesThatSmile I am very glad you have found happiness, may it long continue.

@EyesThatSmile To my 'eternal' shame and humiliation, I was in my early 30s when I got a 'bit' of education, and a 'touch' of reality. And that's the whole point; it only takes a "bit and a touch". ANYONE should be able to figure that all religion is a load of bull shit.

Who cares about religion anyway? It is boring buffoonery.

I never believed.... (Great parents).... so, i have no clue what it feels to become without faith in fairy tales.....

BUT:::: i do know what it is to become red-pilled... A life-long democrat wakens to reality....

Wokeism reinforces my objections to religions...

Are you saying you believe in other gods, just not the Christian god?

What if you're an ex-something else than Christian. I prefer Godfree or a term that's trying to replace Atheist A Bright. [the-brights.net]

Is bright just another way of say Atheist? Brights are naturalist?

@creative51 I did read some at the site. Bright is another way of saying Atheist. Bright's are naturalist.

@xenoview Bright believe in a naturalistic world view. They are not naturalists. People who believe in a supernatural world or called 'supers.'

@JackPedigo If you believe in a naturalist world view, then that makes you a naturalist.

Vague and only slightly informative. At least it's hyphenated!!!

sure, but it's not all you are. in fact, you must be a kind of more because of it.

Really nice to see a post from you! 😉 I agree it’s a good description in one word, and perhaps less threatening to a theist?

What has the idea of "ex- Christian" have to do with anything? ALL religion is just man-made bull shit. There are some clowns that can't take their hat/ turban off. They can't even see the idea as some weird joke! Do they wear it at night too?

Atheist = no god Theist = god So which one are you?

Muslims, Jews, Scientologists, etc. can all be ex-christians. "Atheist" declares the most important piece of information (as far as I'm concerned), so that's what I'll stick with. I guess if you wanted the most accurate information, you could state you're an ex-christian atheist...

To each their own, it's just another label to use.

Labels, labels, labels, I hate labels.

Hmmm…what do you call that?😉

Labels are words which can be negative or positive. Whether we like it or not words do shape our culture and how we view the world.

@JackPedigo I still hate labels and don't give a fuck about them, do you have a problem with that?

@Canndue I call it whatever the fuck I want, do you have a problem with that?

@Mofo1953 obviously can’t take a joke….

@Canndue No shit, Sherlock.

@Mofo1953 have a nice day

@Canndue Always do.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:649059
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.