Agnostic.com

58 3

What are your thoughts on sleeping in the bed with multiple pets?

Example. I once dated a woman that had three cats and the cats were used to sleeping with her. I wasn't very comfortable sleeping at her place. If we closed them out the room they would scratch the door and meow all night. With the bedroom door open they would jump in and out of bed all night.

Shelton 8 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It doesn't bother me and I seep with my dogs.

I have slept with cats most of my life. Got used to it as a child so, I don't even notice anymore. Long and short is that if you give it time, and decide to do so, you will adjust... um, assuming no allergies.

I do have one issue with the cats:

They will sleep under the cover/sheets with me, or they will sleep on top of the covers (blankets). They are NOT to sleep between the sheet and blanket/cover. Why? You and they get tangled/tied together that way. On top, if you have to roll, you roll and they deal with it, under, same thing.

With time you develop a sense of when you are on top of the cat... my 20 year old (and I think others) won't object if I roll over onto their tail/legs but I begin to realize that this can't be good for them and wake enough to give them their freedom back. 🙂

Fine with me !

Three dogs on the bed every night. The biggest is 25 pounds. The smallest about 10. The cat sleeps where she wants. Sometimes on the bed, sometimes not.

When we first adopted Ruby, I swore she wouldn't be going on the furniture and she wouldn't be allowed in my room. Ha! Didn't take long before she was sleeping on any bed she wanted any time she wanted. Sometimes I can't sleep until she gets on the bed. There have even been times when I wake up in the middle of the night to discover she's not there so I get up to go find her. If I had multiple pets, I'm sure they would all have the same privileges. I had two cats over 20 years ago that slept with me.

dkp93 Level 8 Apr 25, 2018

Not me, no pets in my bed!

Here's what the experts say... at least in regard to dogs.
[akc.org]

@SACatWalker Thanks!

I am pack leader.

It's a no from me. See your example.

@Shelton
Wait...
..if HE'S Groot...
..then who was that other guy I was watching?
?

@shelton i am grooooooot!!! Lol!

My cat allowed me to sleep with her as long as I made sure the litter box was clean and the bowl was full.

Over the years I've had cats and dogs -- often at the same time. I also have let most of them up on the furniture (except for the 120 pound dog). The cats often slept with me (and whichever husband or partner) in the bed, My current dog would jump up on the bed and stay for about ten minutes then would go back downstairs to his couch. It was better that way because he's 75 pounds and runs marathons in his sleep. Now he's so old and failing that no one is sleeping in my bed. I'm staying on the couch downstairs to help with his nighttime crises. Do I sleep well? Of course not. But I don't think this will last much longer and I make a mental pledge when I take on an animal (most of them from a shelter) that I will continue to take care of them well until the end.

Ugh. My story is that I dated a man who absolutely would not allow his dog in bed. After about a year this changed and then all of a sudden the dog was sleeping on my side of the bed when I wasn't there and then soon after that the dog was demanding my place when I was there. And shortly after that the man broke up with me. I think he was sending me a subtle message pre breakup that I just wasn't reading. Yeah, lesson learned....not gonna happen again. I'm done dog dating

Just thought I should mention, I have never allowed a pet to sleep in my bed. Mine sleeps in a crate in the living room. ?

Umm...it sure SOUNDS as if your feeling well-rested the next day wasn't a high priority for her. If someone views you as a side-show to her kids or even PETS, it's time to move on.

If I met a woman like that I'd be fine. In fact my ex is a woman like that.

Cats and very small dogs okay. However, whenever I go to a hotel I am amazed at how much better I sleep without animals in and out of my bed.

My wife and I have different opinions on this topic. She loves her dogs more than me. ?

Until her bout of arthritis, my dog slept with me. I'm either going to build a ramp or buy one because she keeps trying to get on the bed but is unable to.

If I let the two kittens in the house I'm sure they will migrate to the bed.

Yeah, can't say I blame you for feeling uncomfortable, I wouldn't like that either.

That's going to be an indication of major issues. I have only one.

How do you think "Three Dog Night" got their name? Sorry for your frustrating experience. I had a similar situation with a woman with Yorkies. Sometimes all my animals are up on the bed, sometimes when they're to active (cats cleaning themselves) I exile them to the garage (where's there's food, water, litterbox, bedding and access to a heated / cooled laundry room). The dog prefers his own bed on the floor.

One can be challenging, it doesn't sound like fun and with cats I prefer to shut them out as I'm scared of rolling on them in my sleep! Hope you find someone with pets that sleep elsewhere 😉

Far be it for any of us to tell another what he or she can do in their own household. Whether it's how much reign they give their fur babies or anything else for that matter. It's all about your own choices people, and "Frankly Scarlet - I don't give a damn"
I've a cat - she sleeps outside my bedroom at night (makes it far less complicated should I be "entertaining" on any given night.) However, should I need to lay down for a "power nap" or if I'm not feeling well, she's right there - (I guess) to show she cares - and that's fine.
Perhaps it's just all about moderation

Cozy but Sinus Headaches in the Morning.

When the lights and tv go off, my dog goes out.

.... just because

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:66296
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.