Agnostic.com

18 36

Up until 5 years ago I was a die hard, Bible thumping , conservative Christian who was a staunch member of Republican Party. Then one day I decided to open my mind and just let the facts determine my thoughts and beliefs. It was as simple as that and I still can’t believe I did it. I’ve decided that I wouldn’t be scared of hell and look strictly at the facts. On one side I saw rational people that based their opinions on science and made reasonable arguments and on the other I saw people try to twist facts and reason so that it would match up with what they believe. The more reason I used the crazier the religious position became. Why did I have to go to hell for thinking what preacher said was bullshit. Now I can see clearly what is going on. The power/control of religious leaders warp their thinking

abyers1970 7 May 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So you had an Atheist Epiphany? How very extraordinary, congratulations.

Congratulations. It has been my experience that deconstruction Christianity often takes a great deal of effort for those I have helped see the light of fact based reason over the darkness of dogmatic superstition. Welcome to the light.

Good on you but are you still a staunch member of the Republican party, or has your eyes been open there too?

No I’m not

@abyers1970 YAY!

Religion is nothing but fantasy. Politics are little except bullshit and that applies to both major parties.

Yes. Such is why we need a 3rd party. Fiscal conservative, social liberal.

@Mooolah We do need a viable third party, but I don't see how one party can be fiscally conservative and socially liberal at the same time. How would such a party fund it's social programs?

@Alienbeing By taxing the 55 corporations that paid none & trillionaires that do not pay their fair share. I do not think in my lifetime we will see a 3rd but we need it. The Defense department refused the allocation approved by Congress as they have TOO much but were forced to take the money. There are ways for sure. Socially liberal does not mean throwing $$ at a problem. It means Marriage Equality, Right to Choose one's own body decisions, equal access to loans etc.

@Mooolah I don't think the taxes you suggested would cure much, but I am not against Corportions paying more.

Considering the Last two sentences of your reply I don't see much difference in our opinions, so I'll close it out.'Have a nice day.

Congratulations, and welcome to logical reality! I wish you well as your journey brings you greater joy and clarity.

Congratulations on your mental freedom.

Your story is consistent with my view that people leave religion only after a brain reboot, to put it crudely, rather than any 'brilliant' arguments by we atheists might tell them. This reboot can occur for many reasons -- tradegy, or religious hypocrisy and other reasons. The reboot analogy is crude, but kind of works, as a person's critical thinking kicks in, instead of defensively adhering to religion. I know psychologists and neuroscientists research this kind of thing. It's one reason why I avoid having big arguments with religious people. They dig in, and the part of the brain that might process the points made, just isn't firing. After a reboot, then it's possible to have a reasonable discussion with someone who is outgrowing religion. It's an interesting phenomenon from my point of view, why it happens and how it happens, and each case is different.

My habit of critical thinking took two years to overcome the indoctrination done to me by one man. It's a very good job from his point of view that he is long dead: he would not be able to handle my blazing anger towards him.

I had two near death experiences that helped out too

Leaders are for groups and promote group think. Pragmatism and being individual whilst living with groups is the balancing act.

puff Level 8 May 2, 2022

Welcome to the real world! It’s not that scary a place, and you can live life best you can with no fear of boogeymen and wacko preachers getting off trying to scare you. If you need reassurance, flip a coin, it’s as effective as praying.

Huh 😕

@Jessica13 praying has the exact same effect on outcome as flipping a coin. Which is to say, nothing. Much the same as flipping a coin while praying it lands heads does not change the odds of it landing on either side.

Congratulations on your liberation from superstition, and welcome to the global community of free thinkers! 🙂

Each step toward clarity brings great relief,

and fortunately...

more steps are always possible.

skado Level 9 May 1, 2022

Welcome to reason.

Congratulations, sort of. The problem with clarity is that you can see just how pathetic and ridiculous the religionists are. And it gets worse because, as you describe, in order to preserve their illusion, they rationalize or fully lie, which is an ugly form of self-degradation.

Indeed, it is so much easier to live without telling lies to others and oneself. No tall tales to keep straight. No mental gymnastics to account for all the contradictions. Now you truly are without sin!!!

It's too sad to contemplate so many people wasting the one chance they have on a stupid carny con job. Ugh!!!

My experience was similar except that I really did not start coming out atheist until 2010 to 2012. The fear that religion puts on you is maybe what took me so long. I have no fear of hell whatsoever. Gods are imaginary.

It took me 20 years to rid my mind of the toxins put there by the headmaster of my primary school when I was 10 years old. He was a Bible literalist and an asshole to boot.

You’re what I refer to as a “Born Again” atheist!! ☺️

Well done you for escaping your indoctrination. 🙂

Very well done! I hope your journey also freed you of the shackles of xenophobia.

Actually I feel I have a completely open mind now and don’t judge anyone

Do you believe in any gods? If so which one?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:663822
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.