Agnostic.com

34 9

Your thoughts on loud music in a restaurant?

The wife and I went into a restaurant the other day and they had loud music playing. We asked them to please turn it down and they told us they couldn't, so we walked out. When I go out to eat I don't mind soft music in the background, but when you can't hear each other talk, we leave if they won't turn it down. I don't understand why it's up so loud.

ebdb 7 Apr 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would just leave and go elsewhere!! 🙂

No way enjoyable. Most people I have ever met chat during meal times.

I'm a musician and I don't like loud music in general. I really enjoy the drive home after gigs due to the quiet. I don't understand the seeming need to raise volume levels to such an extant that it damages your hearing. And for those wondering, I do mostly acoustic jobs, generally in big bands. I'm a saxophonist who doubles on flute and clarinet.

It's annoying, I just want to enjoy my meal and have a conversation with the person or people I am with

I don't have any thoughts if the music's too loud, i can't hear myself think

Hate it and I ask them to turn it down too. I want to be able to talk not scream

hate loud music in public

I avoid restaurants (and shops) that play loud "music". I want nourishment not punishment.

Athos Level 5 Apr 27, 2018

I would have walked out, too.

Only after somewhere around 8 pm and even then only if it is a place that has a bar and even then live entertainment is preferable more engaging. (And also, they take breaks.)

Posted on another topic that there are chain burger restaurants and all the franchises around here are owned by the same guy who has really loud christian music and hate sermons in the dining area at the volume that makes conversation difficult.

I refuse to enter them, or even support that crap by going through the drive through.

The louder the atmosphere in a restaurant, the more more they sell. That's why they're hardscaped. I teach that in my design class. It's not a sanitary concern. It's a monetary consideration.

Loud noise makes people eat faster, so that the place can feed more people per hour.

Stop teaching them that! LOL

Loud music / people..........UNRULY KIDS.....swiping the floors? I leave the restaurant. Period.

Turn it down, it's not a dance club or metal bar.

We rarely eat out... and it's always in one of our known QUIET restaurants. Our preference eateries are the bistros at the Dayton Art Institute and the Cincinnati Art Museum. Very QUIET.

I hate loud restaurants! They're asking to be put out of business IMO.

Loud music defeats the purpose of eating out with friends, relaxing and enjoying good food and conversation. Loud music is also very bad for the digestion. Since people have different tastes in music, why shove that particular genre down their throats?

I agree that the genre or the artist can also make your meal unpleasant.

@ebdb Specially if they play Wayne Newton. 🙂

That's never happened to me, fortunately, but I would feel the same as you.

What really bothers me is when I'm watching a show or movie, and the "background" music drowns out the dialogue.

marga Level 7 Apr 27, 2018

Closed captions, I have to use them anyway. I don't want to have to strain to hear what is being said.

GOOD FOR YOU.... I have done the same thing...my comfort is more important than they ambience...

Restaurants on karaoke nights are worse, loud music and somebody screaming at the top of their lungs.

Hate it.

This isn't the only place I can get a good steak, ribs, salad or whatever.

Feel the same as you, hate it. But haven't had to walk out.

It depends on the place. If it's a sports bar type establishment I would expect loud music. A fancy sit down place, not so much

GwenC Level 7 Apr 27, 2018

We don't go to sports bars. I am talking lunch or early dinner.

What I hate MORE are the screeching TVs in doctors' offices. The most vile trend EVER!!! If you're too stupid to read, just stare at the wall - why do I have to listen to some morning show crap?

Why on Earth would they have the sound on on those? That's what closed captioning is for.

Agree

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:67785
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.