Agnostic.com

3 7

LINK Salman Rushdie - Writing under death threats | DW Documentary

Another fabulous Doc from DW. The lesson is to never let down your guard once a threat is declared. Ever. Peace and long life, Sal.

rainmanjr 8 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have read the Satanic Verses and a few other things by Rushdie. He's a good writer and the fatwa against him is a blatant attack on free speech and free thinking. That religious fanatics think they have to resort to such tactics illustrates just how weak is their faith in the power of their own God. Religious fundamentalists, whether they be Islamic, Jewish, Christian, Hindu, or whatever, are really pathetic creatures.

Agreed. Pointing out to such lunatics that their god is a weak any puny god means nothing to them.

I admire that you've read it. It just seems a subject on which I have no attachment and even greater animosity for so I haven't tried. I might go back to trying to read more so might but there are an awful lot of other books. Al might be better than Hemingway (who was over-rated, imo) but the only real connection for me is about free speech and ending dogmatic religion. I get the impression this is a period, the Webb Telescope Age, where it might be possible to kill god but require concerted effort. Put that way it sounds very Roman Senate. Doesn't it?

@rainmanjr Alas, I doubt even the Webb telescope's power to kill human superstition once and for all. But I'm sure it will contribute to the enlightenment of many.

@Flyingsaucesir Stranger things have happened and humans are on the threshold of great leaps forward. Leaps that god can't make. Besides, I want to believe.

DUMP'S EVANGELICALISM---- if you will not commit treason and murder for him, you too are destined for his hit list!

ISLAM....the religion of PEACE.

RIGHT.

Bastards!

And remember that Iran sanctions the murder of such people.

@anglophone not just Iran. Pakistan and Saudi Arabia effectively wanted the same

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:681745
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.