Agnostic.com

60 10

How do you handle people who tell you that they will keep praying for you?

I’ve spoken times and times again about how Christianity makes no since to me and heaven and hell being completely illogical and I still get them wanting to pray for me. I guess I have to say I feel really bad for them cause it must really suck to live in a world where you’re convinced everybody that don’t believe like you is destined and sentenced to a ridiculous eternity of punishment. Talking to them really is like talking to someone with the attitude of a wall.

EmeraldJewel 7 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

60 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If they're being 'aggressively religious' then I feel they have, themselves, almost 'declared war' - in that circumstance I don't feel THEIR feelings deserve to be 'protected'. How I respond will depend on me, and how I want to respond.

If, however, they are NOT being 'aggressive' then I don't have any desire to cause them distress.

When they say "I'll pray for you" you just say "I'll think for you".

What she said

Haha ha! I really do like your personality lol.

I've found that if you:
Start twitching, slapping at your clothing,
And scream "It burns!!! IT BURNS!!!"
They will usually leave.

TOO FUNNY! Might try that one with the christian folk in my family.

I need to try that.! Lmfao!

I just smile and say, "that is very sweet of you. Thank you". No need to make anyone uncomfortable. No need to pound your atheism. If you are sure they meant well, just a smile is ok
If you think they are trying to convert you, say thank you for the thought, and wouldn't it be nice if prayer really did work.

PEGUS Level 5 Apr 28, 2018

Alrighty... great answer for the way i feel abiut.

Hitchens responded with, "I'll think for you."

In your mind say hmmm.... say awww thank you. We're talking about loving confused people. Cut them a break.... they have to change into us so cutting them down or blowing them off will only hurt them. When they do finally come around to being us they want remember you as an ass hole.

Let them do what makes them happy .I don’t care .If i did care then I am no better than a religious person who condemns my lack of belief

If someone says they will pray for you you thank them and move on

I don't take offense. I acknowledge the intent, which is to give comfort. Thinking positive thoughts can only help, no matter how it's wrapped.

marga Level 7 Apr 28, 2018

I'd reply "you're not praying for me, you're praying for yourself".

They might not get it though.

I treat them based on their sincerity and demeanor. I respond with anything from, "Thank you." to, "God fuck yourself."

JimG Level 8 Apr 28, 2018

Well I would like to just say No thank you, Im good. I would really prefer to avoid a religion debate. So I guess being included in their prayers to an imaginary god isnt going to kill me.

Yes...

I will once again quote Ron White, "You can't fix stupid". ?

Lmfao! Stuck on stupid!

I say "you do that" and walk off. Or if they're genuinely empathetic and saying it because I'm going through a hard time I say thanks

I tell them to save it for somebody that believes in magic.

I just say "thank you." Unless they're being condescending pricks. Then I just say, "well, bless your heart." (If you're southern, you know what that means.)

I say thanks. If they want to pray it's ok by me as long as they don't try to recruit me

I look at prayer as energy. So I don't care. Pray for me or don't. I just say thank you. If I'm in a pissy mood I ask if they can pray to Satan for me.

That's exactly how I feel about prayer. It is sending energy to whoever you are supposed to be praying for. For instance, when one of my friends posts something on Facebook that she needs prayers for whatever reason. I'll write something like, "thinking of you and sending healing energy your way".

@Aushra years back I read a research article about one of the big universities did a study on prayer. They had different people pray under different situations. Was very complex. But what it proved was the positive response to prayer. Not whom they prayed too. It mad no difference who they prayed too. Just putting the energy out there got a positive return. If there was a Christian god and he was the one making those things happen by answering prayer or rewarding his people. Why did the study show other faiths and those who prayed to the universe with the same basic results. They should have been the only response.
It was a very good read

I take it as a compliment when someone says that to me. My friends who are christian always say it to me and I thank them for it. It’s really their way of saying “hey, I’ll be thinking about you and hoping everything turns out alright”. Now for me I have good reason to think nothing will come of those prayers, but one of the strengths of religion is the community that springs forth from it (as long as it’s a supportive positive one). I know my friends want the best for me, but what about strangers that say it? Well who knows what their motivations are: they could genuinely be concerned about a perceived threat to your spiritual well-being or they could just be trying to play the piety card. Point being here is this: all you can really do is smile, assume they mean well, thank them, then move on with your day.

Go for it...
Like WC Fields said.. "I'm covering all my bases """ lol

Grin and bear it

Let them get on with it, it doesn't make any difference but if that's how they want to spend their time then let them 🙂

@pandakaizen That last line made me LOL. ?

I want to say ordering pizza would be more useful, but I don’t.

I let them pray for me now. Before, I took it as an insult and I still get that feeling sometimes. But, it makes them fell better. If they want to save me, I go through the motions, ask Jesus to come into my heart, etc,. They're thrilled that they brought another soul to Jesus and it didn't cost me anything. It just makes their day. It is disingenuous? Sure, but I just prefer to cut to the chase and get it over with. I think I've been saved about a dozen times now so I should be good "just in case".

I ignore them.

It depends on the situation. My husband is a cancer patient and has completed 12 cycles of chemo for stage 4 Hodgkin's Lymphoma. We still have CT scans every 3 months to watch a couple of tumors that are still lingering. When people hear his story 9 times out of 10 we hear God is good, god is giving him strength, and I'm praying for you. Because it happens constantly with strangers we just smile and nod, it would be a battle if we told every person not to pray because we are atheists plus they really think it's going to help and doing it out of kindness. If it was our friends and family who know we are atheists then we would say something. My husband survived stage 4 cancer because he is strong and a fighter, my husband did that not God.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:68498
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.