Agnostic.com

9 4

Who’s giving Americans spiritual care? As congregational attendance shrinks, it’s often chaplains
Chaplains have always provided spiritual care outside traditional houses of worship, but their significance is growing as Americans’ religious identities change.

[religionnews.com]

xenoview 8 Dec 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Any con man who can convenience any sucker to buy into their nonsense.

I get my spiritual care from Ben & Jerry, they effin rule….🤠

@K9Kohle789 That’s why I don’t own a talking scale, helloooooo!?!🤠

No, their significance is not growing. Religious belief is declining, and religion - either within traditional places of worship, or outside - is becoming less relevant. No part of the 'religious fold' is gaining significance.

Who gives a fuck?

"Spiritual care"?
That's a crock of shit.

Mental health care is all people need.
I don't want anyone "counseling" me if they believe in ANY god.

I went in for brain surgery when I was 28 y.o., a priest came into my room to talk to and give me. I told him that I'm not a believer and that he's wasting his breath, he turned around and left the room.

I think that the two are hard to separate, in the treatment and healing of most people, for their emotional problems, and past traumas. I personally have no issue with a therapist or mental health professional who is a believer in religion, as long as they respect the patient's non-belief, attempt to meet them where the patient is already at, so to speak, and not try to change them on that aspect of not believing. The point is to make the person more functional, less plagued by their mental illness, promote healing of their psyche from trauma, increase their capacity or resiliance to be able to cope with life, to increase their social connections and improve the quality of those connections, and to aid them in finding a life that is more fulfilling to them, not to the helper..

@TomMcGiverin In my experience, I haven't yet met a believer who is capable of keeping their delusions to themselves.

@KKGator I believe you and respect your perspective, but I have met such critters, tho I don't claim that they are common in their professions..

If you get any counciling make damn sure that the person you choose is non-religious in every way. Gods are not the answer. Turning yourself over to something invisible and imaginary is not the answer.

I wonder if that would be in their disclosure, or whatever you would call it.

As far as providing spiritual care, ministers are being, and have been replaced, for some time now, by mental health workers, like social workers, therapists, and counselors. It used to be that most religious people went to their ministers for counseling, because it was less embarrassing to them and they already knew the person. Nowadays, as more people become secular, and mental health therapy is less stigmatized, they go to secular helpers.

…if they can afford it. Last I checked, none of them are free.

@skado Yes and no. The ministers are still free of charge, and so are the mental health workers working at community mental health centers, where they still exist, because those are govt. funded, and either charge nothing for the poor, or a sliding fee scale for those who do have income.

@skado Most employer provided health plans offer a certain number of visits at no cost per year.

A minister in a protestant church is likely going to have a spouse. Ministers are not bound by HIPAA They will tell their spouse. Who will then tell all at craft a prayer circle (or whatever.) and then the town knows within 17 hours.

@BufftonBeotch All of those suppositions, are very likely true, in a rural area, but I don't live in one of those, and never will again, by choice, because of the terrible mismatch they are for someone like me. In a decent sized city, like I live in, you don't have to worry about such a widespread gossip network, lucky for me. I pity people who, due to either ignorance about such things, or not having any choice about where they live, due to local family ties, or needing the job they have in that town so badly, that they have to stay living in Podunk, no matter how bad it might be for them socially or mentally.

@BufftonBeotch But nowadays, esp. with the gig economy, many jobs have no benefits whatsover, which is a trend which began decades ago, on the part of employers, to increase their profits and cut their costs. It is also a big reason why most employers, esp. ones in low wage, no benefit industries can't hire and keep staff, because many workers decided, after Covid hit, to no longer put up with taking low wage, no benefit jobs anymore and being exploited by employers, to work high risk jobs for Covid, with no benefits and shitty pay. I still have no sympathy whatsoever for employers these days who can't hire or keep staff. They are reaping what they have sowed, because employers who have continued to pay well and provide good benefits, have always been able to hire and retain staff. It is the exploitive ones who are suffering now, and they fucking deserve every bit of it!

@TomMcGiverin But it is seen as important to overall health if you do have a health benefit plan. Not all that long ago seeking counseling was a red flag.

One thing our technological age has taught man that big institutions cannot be trusted . People are waking up to religion and leaving in droves. The meek (disenfranchised who need strict discipline) seeing that their world is crumbling, are banding around them any vestibule in keeping with their belief/need.
That is why there are so many "churches?" offering free ordination, divinity courses and giving the meek somewhere to regroup, gather and soldier on.
Preachers with little or no training are now able give sermons, start their own churches with no affiliation to any organisation . Right or wrong these are people who cannot live within their own skin, take responsibility for their own thoughts and actions and need strong leadership. When leadership wains , no vacuum is tolerated so the lessors will fill the vacuum .

As in Catholic church?
The last person I would want counseling me would be a damn virgin with no clue to the real world.

Sound like a line from the Clint Eastwood movie, Gran Torino...

@TomMcGiverin GREAT Movie that was !

Dirty Harry the retirement years. @twill

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:699827
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.