Agnostic.com

10 20

While I understand that there are a lot of analytical types that don't dare to venture into crazy ass shit like 'spiritual awakenings' and that there are also people who are a bit woo woo when it comes to 'for want of a better word, Enlightenment'.
Everyone is different and we all have different experiences in our lives. I'm not saying that one type is better than the other but I am saying that we are all busy dealing with our own shit and if we could all give each other a bit of tolerance and breathing room, that would be good.

SnowyOwl 8 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What its actually like is what people is wanting to know

Spirituality? Other than our most profound wishes that there is a spiritual world separate that we can exist in, all seem to be more of a deep-seated psychotic imagination and personal desire that has no effect on anyone but the believer alone. A believer requires no proof or evidence but merely faith or a belief in its reality.
The proof in the pudding is in the eating, and there is no pudding to eat unless you imagine there is some.

I appreciate you sharing your opinion.

What spirits enlighten you, and how do they do it?

Everyone has a different level of understanding and I accept that we are all different but we need not get delusional, nor should we discriminate against those who have elevators that don't make it to the penthouse, just the lower levels. 😀 Have a happy holidays or whatever.

@SnowyOwl "Different levels of understaning" of what?

I don't understand too

Lol that's a joke 🤣

I am not religious, I am spiritual - is a joke. It is very ambiguous. It can mean from tarrot cards, to woogie boards to anything bizarre.

Why not say "I believe in positive energy or the energy around all living beings and the nature"?

Why not just allow for the possibility that not everything is left brain oriented, maybe we don't know everything, maybe we're still just slightly evolved chimps and trying to figure out things the best we can with the limited tools we have available?

@SnowyOwl

Somebody wants to believe in something because there something unknown or some superpower or some supernatural or a spirit is behind it ..... is a bizarre concept to me. If someone has examples that he/she can explain logically, I will listen. But it must have a reason and logic.

Religious commonly say but there is so much we do not know, so much science cannot explain. I have heard it often.

@St-Sinner Science is evolving as new technologies are developed, keeping an open mind is how we discover new information. Science should never be about belief, especially the belief that science has it all figured out, the whole point is to stay open to learning new things about the universe.

@SnowyOwl
I am open but will not act to accept until I am convinced. Until then, those things and views are unacceptable to me. Others can enjoy their bliss.

For the one who claim to know it all IIt's what one learns after one knows it all, that counts. Enlighten is a good word, for the spiritual world is 99% unknown.

Fair enough, still think that you are a crazy person but considering the state of normalcy, maybe it could be a lot worse.

If spiritual enlightenment is the same as practising Psychic abilities, then I say let us examine the subject objectively and scientifically.
Seems like man is afraid to broach the subject.:- to science investigating, it is the end to a career,:- to the religious it is heresy, and to the general population it is woo woo.
Yet I am reminded that religion, science and the general population knew that the Earth was flat, heavier that air machines could never fly and if man, in a machine traveled faster than 21 miles an hour he would die. Too Question or believe anything else was of course woo woo, heresy and a career killer.

Probably not about practicing psychic abilities, but certainly overdue for scientific exploration. And that is now, slowly, starting to change, with the development of CSR - Cognitive Science of Religion.
[en.wikipedia.org]

@skado There is no science in religion. Religion use faith, instead of evidence.

@xenoview
But science can, and does, study religion.

@skado An it never proves their is any gods or supernatural.

@skado but only to determine why humans have this apparent odd neediness/need for abasement, and the like, and to find out the truth of myths like "jesus".
Theology focuses on "angels on the head of the pin" nonsense which is Nothing like science as it presupposes a theory (the existence of "diety" ) and looks only for "evidence" to support it.

@xenoview
It isn’t trying to.

@AnneWimsey
There’s a lot more to it than that.

Science isn’t there to prove any particular point, but to discover whatever is there to be discovered.

@skado Thanks for the CSR link. Interesting.

When you consider how far we have come in developing science and a better understanding of the universe in the past century, just think about what baby steps we are still taking. I would imagine that future scientists will look back upon us in a century with the same quaint derision that we now hold for theories like spontaneous generation. Maybe I'm wrong, probably I will be dead before there is a better theory.

@xenoview yes it's true
It uses faith instead of religion

Yep

puff Level 8 Dec 23, 2022

If people want to believe in woo or the universe or spiritual this and that, they are welcome, so long as they keep it private, don't foist it on others, don't fill kids' heads with nonsense, and don't set up corrupt reactionary churches that do nothing but harm. And if they can kindly not bore the living crap out of me with it, I'd appreciate it.

Any chance you are related to Mike Pence? You sure seem to have a mop handle stuck up your ass. 😀

I agree with you David. The thing is that we all know they are dabbling in woo.

@SnowyOwl a bafflingly stupid comment, of no value, or maybe you can't read.

@David1955 Agreed 🤷🏻♂️

@David1955 But the post itself is a bit bafflingly stupid, therefore….🤨

@SnowyOwl What is that about? There is nothing he said that merits that attack.

@David1955 perhaps I am just tired of your constantly annoying and frankly rather stuffy comments, no wonder so many people have left this forum.

@BufftonBeotch Sorry, not my pal, maybe yours but not mine.

@SnowyOwl So you're a stalker? mmm kay.

@SnowyOwl Wow. You ARE obsessed.

@BufftonBeotch Interesting opinion, this jerk constantly makes snarky comments on my original posts, but if I respond that makes me a stalker. curious logic but whatever

I would appreciate that too

Breathing room is good.

skado Level 9 Dec 23, 2022

@Gwendolyn2018 in 2016 i stopped breathing, or to be precise, it was as if very heavy weights were pressing my chest and no air could enter. [i imagine what Pressed Witches felt like]
People! Keep breathing, you have NO IDEA how distressing it is when you cannot!

@Gwendolyn2018 it turned out i have Congestive Heart Failure, annoyingly.

@Gwendolyn2018 yeah
You are so smart

@Gwendolyn2018 So sorry dear

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:701774
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.