Agnostic.com

126 10

Is it OK to be racist against white people?

Using the Merriam-Webster definition of racism,

racism
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

You CAN be racist against white people but is it OK?
Is it OK to tell an entire race they need to atone for the actions of their ancestors?
Is it OK to tell an entire race they are racist simply because of their race?
Is it OK to blame an entire race on the actions of 2 people?
Is it OK to purposely tell your kids to not trust an entire race?

Sadly I doubt I'll get many honest answers because it's not PC to you think racism is OK as long as those your racist against are white. But hope springs eternal.

• 13 votes
  • 186 votes
MamaMOB 5 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

126 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's never ok to be racist. period...

The true definition of racism is about privilege not skin color. I like this article from [affinitymagazine.us] , it puts racism into proper perspective. It's lost it's meaning over time.

“Dear White People, Your “Dictionary Definition” of Racism is Wrong

Racism as an ideology originated from European scientists in the 17th Century during the Atlantic slave trade. They invented it in order to differentiate themselves from those with different skin colors and darker features, creating a racial hierarchy that continues to this day. It would simply be incorrect to deny that the history of racism has been (and continues to be) one of white supremacy as the label “white” has always been an indication of superiority.
However, many of us were taught when we were little that racism is simply disliking someone based on the color of their skin. We were taught that it is a two-way street and that it can happen to anyone. We were taught that racism is simply prejudice toward any race.
This is clearly evident in the defense tactic many people use when defending racism.
For many white people, the “definition of racism” offers them a safeguard so that they no longer feel the need to check their privilege. It acts as a last resort when backed into a corner by logic and reason. It is their final safety measure to ensure that they still win the conversation, even though this is not the type of conversation to be won.
It is for those white people that I have listed below some of the many reasons why the “definition of racism” is wrong.
Dictionaries provide a simplistic view of words.
While dictionaries are a great reference for people who have no prior knowledge on a word, concept or idea, they are not the best for conducting and controlling discussion. Racism is such a complex idea that it would be impossible to describe every aspect of it in a basic 101 way. Dictionaries should instead be used as a starting point for learning, leading to more thorough research and investigation, rather than being a final and definitive argument as to why white people can experience racism.
Dictionaries are written and edited by white men.
The majority of writers for popular and academic dictionaries have been white men. In the western world, as there are systems in place which privilege white people, it is not surprising to see that the definition of racism put forward by white men is inaccurate. They are socialized to believe that the racism people of color experience is in any way comparable to the “racism” white people experience (i.e. being called out for perpetrating and upholding white supremacy). There is simply no credibility in white people defining racism.
Racism is systemic.
If we look at the word, ‘racism’, we see that it is made up of ‘race’ and the suffix ‘-ism’. This suffix is used to denote a system which, at least in the western world, is a system of white supremacy.
This clearly differentiates racism from prejudice. Anyone can be prejudiced toward anyone else, regardless of their race. People of color can certainly be prejudiced toward white people. However it is not racism because there is no larger system in place which oppresses white people.
These are just some of the reasons why the “dictionary definition of racism” is invalid. If you or someone you know ever feels the need to screenshot the “definition of racism” and use it in an argument, just remember that the definition of ketchup says that it is spicy.”

This article is wrong. There is no 'history year zero' in racism, it has existed in many forms since the dawn of time, when one clade of monkeys was in competition with another in a neighboring tree.. Racism is a base animal instinct and informs nationalism, patriotism, team supporting in football and all other forms of flag-waving. It is the grunt of the soldier and the cry of the oppressed. To combat racism and other forms of group-think requires rational thought and education.

@chazwin Where did you get this belief?

@Wildflower It's called REASON. I believe nothing. But it is informed by my studies in history and anthropology and archaeology.

I would couple the privileged perspective along with a more important angle...power.

Racism is wrong period. No ifs, ands or buts.

Being a racist makes you a bad person.

Many of the claims of racism are true. Long standing policies or behaviors that were racist were left unchallenged because the balance of power made it dangerous to individusls to speak up.

In the present environment, the balance of power has shifted due to demographics. It is now a safer environment to protest and call out racism where it exists. The dominant society hates to be called on its improper behavior, especially if they had been able to get away with it for decades with impunity. Accountability is always an uncomfortable thing. So, "everything is labeled racism today", may be true, but it just might that they always were and still remain do.

Caveat, false accusations will occur just because the law of probabilities suggest they should. Don't be seduced by these occurances. They are exceptions in the greater trend. Exceptions do not make the rule, they are just that, only exceptions.

Racism is racism is racism.

Any color/culture can be racist toward another.

It is never acceptable.

I was once hired into a executive chef position where 25 out of my 30 subordinates were members of a minority.
No matter what I did in training them, correcting them, or trying to resolve work issues, they had decided that all my actions were because I was racist. Fired someone for not showing up 3 days in a row? Because I'm racist. Wrote someone up for not refrigerating food properly? Because I'm racist. Refused to let someone leave work early to take their kid to a party? Because I'm racist.
On and on and on and on. ((the last 2 chefs had also been driven out of there by the kitchen crew and the owner was losing money hand over fist))

I was paralyzed and couldn't do my job--very hurt that I was being unfairly labeled and accused of having malevolent motivations. I went to the owner and he told me to do whatever I needed to do to fix the problem.
I documented everything for a few weeks and then, one day, I fired the 8 people who were the instigators and trouble-makers. Of course, everyone said I did it because I was racist. 7 additional people quit.

I hired all new staff (all minorities) and trained them.

I never had another issue with anyone at that job.

Don't tell me that there wasn't a core group who were poisoning the well and who were, in fact, racist against me and refusing to let me do my job because of the color of my skin.
I experienced it first hand.

I don't care what color someone's skin is....what I do care about is their work ethic.

We are all genetically connected..so why be racist?

YES.THIS. One race...HUMAN.

I believe it's wrong to be racist, period!

We're all prejudice in some way, we all have stereotypes and some of us even live up to said stereotypes. But it's ours, not anybody elses. So the minute someone opens their mouth and spews their opinions as fact is when they are wrong and that's not "ok". Who cares what someone thinks or feels. Just be nice to each other for fucks sake.

Umm.... No. Shouldn't be racist or sexist ... Absurd question.

That makes you a hypocrite.

Buxx Level 7 Oct 10, 2018

If you mean by that that all whiteys have to take responsibility for what other white people did in the past then that make YOU the racist. You are black, that does not make you responsible for Shake Zulu murdering thousands of his own people. The British parliament made the slave trade illegal in 1807 and banned the ownership of slave all over the empire by 1832. I applaud these decision, but even though they were made by white people I cannot take the credit for them anymore than I can take responsibility for the tragedy of slavery. And as a black person I cannot hold you responsibly for Moulay Ismail and his Barbary pirates for enslaving as many as a million white people.

shit. i hit yes because i read the question wrong.

I think this is a racist ass comment, but what do I know, I'm just an average Joe nobody.

Hi, I’m a white guy and I think it’s ok to think whatever you want about any segment of the population, be it based on cultural differences and preferences, social class, gender or, yes, ethnicity. If you think that the colour of the skin generally goes along with a certain type of culture, then it’s ok to be a racist, homophobe, Xenophobe, or have a general dislike about anything, white people included.
CULTURAL RELATIVISM

Just to be clear, you are saying that it is ok to go with our much more primitive instinct and just brand an entire people based on our few and insignificant experiences with them?

Seriously? That kind of profiling worked great when we were in tribes. Now it makes zero sense.

In the past I was jumped several times by a bunch of Mexicans while I was delivering pizza.

I do not like the Mexicans who jumped me, for good reason, but what gives me the right to label them all for what a small few did?

It makes no sense to me.

My old boss said he didn't like gay people because he was "sexually harassed" by a gay guy in highschool... I was like "are all gay dudes that one guy from highschool?" No.

This guy I know despises black people because of violent childhood trauma involving him and his mom. How he feels is understandable but his anger towards black people is rooted in fear and he needs to work that shit out.

Hating a group for a "this one time" anecdote is pretty weak.

@Joenobody I work in a souvenir shop and, to begin with, everyone who works here and all other shops like mine, we’re a blank slate, no prejudice. It doesn’t take long until we see certain people from certain parts of the world walk into the shop and sigh. No social/ethnic/national group is inherently bad, but our opinions and behaviours may be so different as to seriously disagree.
We struggle to like to culturally similar street neighbours and to be liked by them and we’re expected to like and be liked by other completely different peoples.
I wouldn’t consider myself a racist, I won’t treat anyone badly under any circumstances and I’d NEVER vote for a right-wing party, but one must recognise that it can happen and is almost inevitable.

It's okay dislike a culture, it's okay dislike a religion, and it's okay dislike a nation, but it is not okay dislike anybody as a individual on the basis of any of those things alone.

If you're judging someone by anything other than the essence of what they present to, and share with you, you are doing it wrong.

Goodness, like beauty, doesn't come in colors, sizes, weights, ages, races or any other factor that doesn't represent the spirit and soul of a being.

Furthermore, we are who we are. Not who our ancestors were. Not who our family is. History does not define us. Even our own personal histories are only markers and flags because we are all capable of real and meaningful change and who we were is often just as much a reflection of where we were and what we were dealing with at the time, as it is of our true nature.
I prefer to take people exactly as they are, in whatever place they are at the time, and not as a representative of anything other than the self.

There is but one race, the human race.

Are there races in the animal kingdom?

That's a bit ridiculous. It doesn't matter if a people of a different heritage or skin tone unleashes a million years of oppression on another; it doesn't justify future generations being terrible in "return". The cycle ends as soon as race is measured as deeply as "human". Varying melatonin content doesn't create a higher value in a person.

Any form of racism is abhorrent.

Racism is wrong in any respect. Arguments for it make no sense at all. As a white man I know a lot of racists and "racist unaware" types. I hang out with none of them and was last married for 12 years to a black woman. My 2 daughters however have a white mother.

I think your mind is already decided on the answer and now your just looking for people to agree with you so you don't feel bad about this decision..
Can a black man by racist against a white man? Sure..
Is it a problem for the white man in a westernized country? No..

I have always looked at the unique individual without concidering their genetics. We are taught from a age that there are all of the other animals and then there is the human race. Later we are taught to separate our fellow humans into various genetic categories which often are referred to as "race". This is contradictory and confusing. Whenever possible on different documents, census, drivers licence, job applications and such, I usually write human in the "other" space.

It's not ok to be racist to anyone. And the "atonement of ancestors" nonsense implies that people alive today are responsible for a bloodline they didn't get to choose and dead people they had no control over. It's an individual's behavior and theirs alone that determines treatment.

NO, it's not ok. Not all white people are the same. Some of us are enlightened people, that see past race, sexual preference,etc. and don't have religion clouding perception of the world.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:70457
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.