Agnostic.com

24 7

Is it strange that I morn the loss of animals more than people?? I understood my dogs better than I'll ever understand people.

orion 5 Dec 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There is nothing at all strange about that. Good pets connect in ways that no human can. Their only fault is they don't live long enough.

so true I lost one last January and it still hurts like it should.

Pets are straight-forward, totally dependent on us, and nonjudgmental. so it's like loving a child but without human children's propensity to pick peers over parent, or to talk back or otherwise pull away. That does not make human kids bad. It's just that their natural developmental task of finding their independence and differentiating themselves from us is a challenge that we don't face with pets. Dogs, especially, have uncanny emotional powers of perception coupled with uncomplicated adoration of us. So of course its easy to love them deeply. It's a shame they don't live longer. :/

Not strange at all. I don't think I've ever mourned a person the way I've mourned my lost pets, and I think the reason for that is the mutual love and affection is actually genuinely unconditional, rather than covertly conditional like it tends to be with people.

no, the dogs love you for real always. if they shit on you its because they need the loo. if they do anything with you its because they want to. there is no underlying bullshit and they are the best atheists.

When you consider how much love animals give to us it is no wonder that there is no comparison of the trueness and depth of that love when it comes to people.

SamL Level 7 Dec 9, 2017

The most important lesson our pets teach us is how to say goodbye. It makes sense that one would mourn their loss more deeply. It prepares us for when the humans in our life depart and helps us to better face our own impending death.

I am a cat lover. My last two cat best friends lived over 15 years and I loved them both in my vegetable garden. I like the idea that some of their molecules are now a part of me.

We mourn those creatures -- human and otherwise -- that have really meant something to us.

Dogs are easier to understand.

I don't think it's strange. I've never seen the look on a human's face that I've seen on my dogs' faces, the unconditional love, the unabashed joy at seeing me after a separation, etc.

Dogs are good people.

I love animals, bugs, and spiders. I mourn them more. Albeit, I don't own any pets now. When my fish died after a year, (Bubbles was his name) I cried.

No with all the pain my family gives me its hard to say I'll feel anything for them now let alone later. My mom got this dog that was teriffied of people and would always bark and cry when ever someone got near him, but I changed all that for him. Now when my brother comes up stairs even the dog feels the tension in the air and starts barking knowing that its him. My brothers been harrassing me for not being a christians and its part of their religion to emotional torment people and offer them a deal where they'll stop after you join.

always trust your dog as it never lies

a dog wouldn't understand what a lie is

Dogs are like kids their to honest to lie but when they do "lie" you can tell cause they have a tail (hahaha) usually they will lick their nose repeatedly when confronted and wag their tail fast in an attempt to make us remember the good times. Lol

a lie is when you speak an untruth. how can a dog do that?

Humans can be difficult, it's easy to focus on their flaws, especially in the world we live in today. Dogs,animals in general are pure, dogs especially can be affectionate and loyal. I can understand mourning animals over people. I don't, but I don't blame you for feeling the way you do.

All my creature friends have been rescued from some horrid situation.....even the fish. The Linda Cat is probably the most loving as she never leaves my side and never stops purring. Professor Wadsworth who I'm pretty sure is a dog or some dog like creature is my comic relief. Winston the attack turtle keeps me out of trouble. Po8nt is every creature I've ever met has been an individual that has brought me joy.....please forgive me for sounding like a hippy dippy lol

When I was six, we rescued a tree frog, and kept him as a well-fed pet for several years. Since then, most of my pups and kittens have been rescues.

Then, a couple of years ago, we took in an elder Dachshund (14 at the time) whose owner had died. His name was Barney (and it was very fitting). He finally passed away in late August, sitting peacefully next to my daughter.
My point is, rescuing animals, and giving them love and safety is great - but it has its hard sides as well. Barney may have been falling apart (Dachshunds do not age well) but he was gentle and sweet. While I'm glad we could make his last two years warm and comfortable, losing him was just as hard as if we'd had him all his life.

I just pretend that they live forever....until they don't....then I'm a mess...but i would never be without creatures they bring so much joy and laughter

It is not strange, many people share this feeling .47 years ago, a dog I loved got killed by a car and I blamed myself . All these years later I sometimes think of this in the middle of the night and become depressed .I still love this dog as much now as then .Their like your children (,which I have one of by the way )

I feel closer to my dog Sassy and my cat Zeus than some people. I will be devestated if I have to bury them in my yard.

I'm the same way. I'm not really a people person to be honest. I always had a soft spot in my heart for animals. As long as I'm alive , I will be their voice.

How come

Not strange at all. I've had the honor of having dogs, cats, etc in my life since I was a small child, and they give so much peace and joy, its impossible to not feel their loss deeply. People, on the other hand, can often bring more sorrow than joy, more dissonance than peace. We may miss them, and feel a loss - but it takes a very special person to love you as much as your dog does.

I feel everything about animals more deeply than those with humans. I believe animals touch us at our purest level of consciousness. When I see a notice about a lost pet I cannot stop worrying about the fear the poor thing is going through and the nightmare of anxiety for the human. I consider it an honor to share my life with my pets and all the creatures that live on this earth.

My wife is like that. she loves her dogs. Me too. But her more.

Me too, generally.

My purpose in life was ti be born to mother 3 cats from kittens to loss of life. I mourn their loss every day. They loved me unconditionally as I did them

I don't think it's strange at all. Then again, I am slightly misanthropic.

No not strange at all people often get complete love from pets... No judgement and real devotion. No need to question it many people feel the same...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7285
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.