Agnostic.com

62 9

If a stranger approached you to have a friendly chat about your god position, what would go on in the back of your mind?

Saw a good post on Facebook: If a stranger approached you to have a friendly chat about your god position, what would go on in the back of your mind?

If I were talking to a theist I’d be thinking “holy shit is that what I used to sound like?” - I used to be religulous

Aquarius 4 May 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

62 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would think "oh crap, here we go again" and politely decline. Usually when they say "friendly" they mean the opposite.

This would be my reaction as well. I would expect that they want to "convert" me...

Tell them I'm glad to see a real Christian because the ones I talk to keep telling me they'll pray for me which is great.I tell them my sad story and tell them I need money, any spare change, and if they wouldn't mind providing with a list of names, phone numbers, and addresses of the most pious, most wealthy in the flock. When I'm done visiting them, we can talk about Jesus some more."hey what size shoes are those"

Lols. There's a song that starts a bit like this, the guy talks about God and the chap asks for his car and the guy says, 'Sure God will buy me another one' 🙂

@girlwithsmiles there's never an original thought.

might have to try that next time...

I would ask, which god? 3,000 gods to choose from.

I love this response.

Given where I live I assume any stranger approaching me:

• is hitting on me (this doesnt happen nearly enough)
  • is confused on what bus/train to take to get to X
  • is trying to convert me to their thing
  • begging (this happens the most)
  • is trying to sell me something

with that said I would figure out quickly that they are trying to convert me and I would tell them I am not interested.

I’d probably tell this person to go away. It’s not that I have issues talking to people about religion, I just don’t like talking to strangers.

I like to hear what that person has to say. I would aim for a respectful dialog. I try not to be stuck in a social or political echo chamber. I am open to be influenced in all things. I think it is a lot more interesting that way.

I have never, ever been religious so I would probably say 'I'm so sorry I am running late I have to dash !'

Same thing that would come out the front :
Fuck off with that shit.

I've never been able to have a friendly chat. I say I don't believe in a god, they get hostile and quote bible verses. I say it's their job, not mine to prove a god exist. They can't show solid proof other than "the Bible" or "just look around at all his creations"...that kinda shit. I walk away, they say they'll pray for me.

I'd be thinking bitch better bring a bottle of whiskey if they wana talk Jesus.

"Be polite and wait for the right moment to pounce."

Oh shit another Jesus freak.

Wish l had a joint right now. ?

A lot would depend upon my mood at the time, if I was busy with something important I would blow them off, politely at first but quickly escalating to get the fuck off my property if they were persistent, I'm just not disposed to suffering fools. If I had a free moment I would probably hear them out and then test the courage of their convictions and if I was feeling a bit of mischief then I would probably mess with them and leave them questioning their silly beliefs. If I was younger and single then I might try to work things to my advantage because there is something sexy about a true believer, all that pent up guilt and sin can make for a wild time even if it isn't for a long time.

I have very religious friends. As far as I'm concerned, I can respect their point-of-view as long as they respect mine. If they can't, well they can F#*#k off.

???

I'd be thinking to myself here's somebody who isn't playing with a full deck...

I love conversation and debate so I'd be very open to chatting if it was friendly as you say.

I would just ask them: "Which god?" That usually ends the conversation or leads to: "There is only one god" Then conversation gets intense and they leave!

I tend to be fairly present conversations ,,, yet simultaneously I realize I’ve also thought ahead quite a bit, priming classic arguments and what I can say about it. I’ve got a mental
philosophy library. Eventually after debating theists enough I feel like I have a predicative probability map where I can
scope out the route of their argument after they start speaking. I’ve also seen so many of
these stupid Ray Comfort type rhetorical
tools that I’ll be recognizing them if
someone tries to use them.

I would make it clear I am not a Christian. That frequently shuts down conversation, but if somebody is interested in a serious conversation about atheism, I am willing to talk about it. If they want to convince me of the error of my ways, I will let them know I do not want to hear about their invisible friend.

I ask them if they’d like to also chat about sex toys and the fun that can be had. The JWs have me on their “ Do not knock” list now. Lol

I would say that I have no god position.I'm also not wanting to hear one.

I would just say politely hi there..em.."Dinosaurs" and walk on...wishing them a pleasant day.

why do they need to know

I wouldn't be thinking anything because I'd walk away.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:80534
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.