Agnostic.com

64 4

How do people feel about people who are childless?

Do you think it is the case that very many people feel that it is a bad thing to not have any children? Do many people in our society feel it is bad, or perhaps simply sad or unfortunate, for a person or couple to never bear a child or adopt any?

AlasBabylon 8 May 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

64 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Kudos to them! I think its selfish to bring a child into this fucked up world.

I agree. I often feel that having my daughter was the most selfish thing I've done in my life.

@pixiedust Same here, I have a son and wonder why in the hell would anyone bring an innocent life in this world? Its been difficult, he's almost 32 and what a struggle he has had.

Dear Presley, I'm still an optimist, things are getting better. What was life like even 200 years ago? I hope your son has learnt from his struggle. Look at your president, he probably never had a struggle in his life and what a dickhead he turned out.

@jules4169 Yes, but he didn't have any medical issues that we know of and if he did he had the money to take care of it.

I’m pro-extinction through diminishing reproduction rates. If I could push a button and sterilize the entire species, I’d be hitting it like I was playing Street Fighter. How beautiful would the planet be in a scenario like that of the series “Life After People”? So anyway, I smile when people do not reproduce.

Dear Not,
I'll watch the series but I'm not that pessimistic.

I feel that they did what was best for them.
Unless you are absolutely certain you want them, you shouldn't have them.

I may feel a little sad that they're missing out on the wonderful stuff. But then again, not every parent's experience is a happy one — for some it's genuinely desperate. I suppose that 'what you don't have you don't miss' has some truth to it, at least for those who don't long to have children.

I think back to my prior life and I was oblivious to the joy and love that I experience now, but I was also far, far less burdened by responsibility and anxiety... My evening routine these days is make dinner, get it on the table by 5:30, clear up, wash up, make tomorrow's packed lunch, get the kid in the bath, get her sorted for bed, stories, tidy up, sort my own stuff out for the morning, do half a dozen other 'parent' things I've forgotten, FINALLY sit down about 10pm, flake out, crawl off to bed....

So yeah, there's that. ?

Sadly, they grow up so fast. All too soon, you'll miss those chores.

I don't feel positively or negatively for childless people. They are like people with brown hair vs people with blonde hair...just people.

They're lucky.

I have two step children, no biological offspring. I'm good with it.

My youngest daughter grew up w several other girls from kindergarten. One married rather young, has 2 kids. Another had one, w her serious bf, who later left. Recently, another is married into a x-tian family, tho she's never been x-tian, no kids yet.
My daughter had a tubal, was it last summer?, deciding to never have any.
She threw a party to celebrate her choice, and not one of her closest friends came.!
I, personally, am a little sad, because I think she'd have been a wonderful mom, and her genes woulda been super to have passed along, and perhaps having a huge responsibility helps a person mature, sometimes.
It's always been her choice, and I've supported her. She really seems to have considered all the pros and cons
And it is her life.

"However, if I'd only known, I'd have had my grandkids first!"

@njoy_life_2 an oldie but a goody!

I’m fine with whatever people decide.

It's none of my business....

I commend people who are self aware enough to know they don't want children. I'm sure they receive a lot of pressure from friends and family.

Doesn't make a difference. I don't define anyone by whether or not they have children, and I think it's awfully silly to do so.

I think there are many people who tend to see others who've made different life choices in a negative light.

They are less selfish.

I see pregnancy as a sexually transmitted disease.

KenG Level 6 May 20, 2018

LMAO!

Well Ken, you got be careful where you stick you're appendage. Use a condom.

@jules4169 I’m ok, I’ve had ‘the snip’.

I allow people to be as they wish.

I sort of feel bad for people whom it's clear wished they had them, but that's it. Otoh there are too many people on this spinning ball. I never thought I'd have them myself until hit 30 sooo.
My body was all "fooled ya didn't I? 😛 " We haven't spoken since ...

For me having kids was a personal growth experience. Before the kids I was self-focused and self-absorbed. That changed. Suddenly you can't do what you would like to do, there are two are beings to consider and look after. It was the most challenging experience in my life and I'm glad they ended up as good human beings even though both are in their 20's now and I rarely see them.
I've had a few dates with women who never had kids. They were still stuck in the state I was in once.
Now if you choose not to have kids there are plenty of charitable organizations you can get involved in and donate to.

I believe having, or not having them is a highly personal choice. Society-parts of it- may feel bad about folks choosing to have no kids...but that’s THEIR opinion. And none of their business.
Wouldn’t the world be so much better if we all just minded our own effing business?!

My daughter and her partner are childless. Thank goodness as he is a drunk alcoholic ?

@Purplegirl1974
She does not hate kids. Think she would have loved to have at least one. Because of circumstances here in S.A. I do not like kids anymore either. ,

Bringing children into the world is a choice. Not bringing children into the world is a choice. That choice is up to the people involved and it is no one else's business. Too many children are born as a result of not thinking about the consequences of an act. Some of them are fortunate to have parents who, though surprised by the results of their passion, were delighted to have them. Sadly that doesn't happen very often. Sometimes it is an inconvenience for one or the other or perhaps both parents.

There are many possibilities, but I won't outline them all. Speaking to your specific question, yes, it is an issue for the majority of people in the world. It is how the species is preserved, and increasingly it is how numbers of members in various religions are bolstered. At one time it was important because lifespans were short, life was hard, and it was a matter of survival. Those conditions are long gone for most regions of the world. However, this idea that people should have children has carried over and is in force today as it was in centuries past.

The majority of the people in the world make the assumption that everyone should and will have children. This is largely because of the religions of the world, some worse than others, expecting their members to produce children like an assembly line that pumps out more and more obedient carriers of the flame. So, yes, most people think people who don't want children are somehow not normal, whatever that is, and that they need to be convinced to have them. I think this is a wrong mindset. That I think it is wrong does not change it. As in so many other things, it is something we need to outgrow, and I think I see some glimmering of hope that we are in the process of doing that now.

It's their business. Left to myself, I probably wouldn't have either married or had children.

I haven't got any

Oh jeebus! Is this even still a thing in the 21st century?

Fine. The world already has enough mouths to feed. I just hope that most chose childessness. To deeply want kids but be unable to can be heartbreaking.

Zster Level 8 May 20, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:85653
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.