Agnostic.com

37 9

Are you cheating if you are open to your partner about your other relationship(s)?

It may be semantics, but I'm curious as to what everyone's position is on what cheating means to you.

• 11 votes
  • 56 votes
MollyBell 7 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It sounds wordy and strange. But I think the questions relates to an open relationship. Well, you have to be sure that the open relationship is really open and not just your dream. If the second partner kinda agrees but hired a hacker to track you, maybe you've chosen the wrong person for an open relationship. On the other hand, if you both agree on an open relationship, then the word cheating makes no sense. I think this word is eligible only for monogamous relationships. Otherwise, people are free to date anyone they like to. Antracit, did I ask your question? You just had to go through the previous comments.

I can’t promise I’ve read through every comment here but I don’t think I saw the word consent anywhere. Did you make an agreement to be monogamous? If you have another non-monogamous relationship without first obtaining consent from your partner then it is cheating. You can’t just break the agreement and then by describing it after the fact unilaterally decide that it’s ok. If you have carefully discussed all the parameters of how and when your relationship will be open and you are operating within the agreement, then no problem. Some partners agree to allow side dalliances as long as they never find out about it. So telling about the relationships is not a universal “fix” either. You have to come to agreements ahead of time about what each partner needs and wants.

ejbman Level 7 June 20, 2018

Also, I guess I’m assuming here we are talking about romantic or sexual relationships. If it’s just platonic friendships then the issue of cheating should not even be on the table. If a partner is so jealous that you are not allowed platonic friendships then run the other way and get out of that partnership.

I think in any relationship that has any chance at all it's necessary to be clear about and in agreement about the parameters. What can you do with who? To my mind, if you are violating your agreement, you're cheating. But if you have agreed to an 'open' relationship then I would not define it as cheating. I will say that I have known a number of people who tried open marriages and none of them worked out. Of course my monogamous marraiges didn't work out, either, but for very different reasons.

Easy lay up here. FUCK YES...IF...you just tell them. If you discuss it and open your relationship together then it CAN'T be cheating. easy.

By definition, I would think that if you are in an agreed upon open relationship, the word cheating does not apply. If you are cheating, then you are withholding information from your partner and hiding your affair as much as possible. It’s kind of like going into a store and they have a rack of merchandise marked “Free” and the next shelf has priced items. If you take a free item it is not shoplifting. If you take the priced item, you are. Best example I could come up with quickly! ?

If your partner knows and is okay with it, I don't think it's cheating.

It would entirely depend on the dynamics of the relationship. If one feels it's cheating, it's probably time to move on.

If everyone is open and upfront about their relationships, the answer is no.

I've been in several open relationships where the man had someone on the side without telling me. When you betray your partner's trust it doesn't matter what the status of your relationship is (open or closed); it's still cheating. What I fail to understand is why would they lie about something when they don't have to? Makes the betrayal worse if you ask me.

Well said!

I think cheating is a matter of betrayal of trust.

You have a relationship that both parties knew was open, and both parties are happy to be open, then tell then the truth and you're not cheating - but honesty means nothing if your parner is expecting monogamy.

It's just like saying 'do I stop being a thief if I'm honest about the fact that I steal?'

It's betrayal of reasonable expectation that makes you a cheat - not whether you 'come clean'.

I find it interesting that cheat, in this context, only applies to fidelity. People don't keep all their commitments, and that includes everyone on the planet, but I'm certain every single person doesn't consider themselves a cheat.

I didn't vote because this isn't quite black and quite as you have set it up. As others have said, I think just being honest about an external relationship doesn't make it NOT cheating. If they disapprove, it's still cheating, just not lying and cheating.

It's not cheating if everyone knows the rules. Not liking the rules does not mean your partner is cheating.

Depends. If your open and they don't agree to your other relationship, you're cheating. An open relationship has to be by mutual decision.

I wouldn't be so upset that they went off to have sex with someone else as I would be that they didn't invite me along for a threesome

lol now we're talking! ?

@MollyBell You are talking a language I understand

@zorialoki I feel sure I am ?

So many experts!

Unless your partner approves of an open relationship then anything that violates the relationship is cheating. I think too often no one discusses it, we each have our idea of what the relationship is and we feel violated because we are following the rules we think are in place while our partner is operating under a different set of rules.

I agree, and the rules should be laid out at the onset of a relationship. Each relationship takes its own course, but I cannot stand jealousy in any form. Sure, she is going to deal with men, I am going to deal with women. It is great to window shop, as long as you know where to buy the goods.

If you're open about it -- and AGREE it's okay -- it's not cheating. Sounds like a form of polyamory to me.

It would depend on what basis you entered or maintain the relationship- if you promised fidelity, its cheating, whether you disclose it or not.

Yeah I could have posed the question in better detail. Hindsight is 20:20.

Would that be Hi fidelity or stereo?

I would consider it cheating whether I was told about it or not. Unless you tell your partner from the get go, "Hey, don't expect monogamy from me," it's a selfish and very mean thing to do. It's playing games with another person's head.

It may signify the end of a relationship, but I don't agree that it's playing games or a mean thing. Selfish, maybe, but I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing; depends on the situation. It's one reason I refuse to be in a non-open relationship.

I was just answering the question you asked. If I believed I was in a committed relationship with someone I cared about and who I believed cared about me, finding out that they were sharing their feelings with another person would upset me whether I was told by that person or found out through another source.

@Hermit lol I was just responding to you. ? Thank you for answering.

Don't promise fidelity, if you cannot be faithful. Don't promise honesty if you cannot tell the truth.
Period.
Any attempt at qualifying or explaining is nothing but justification for being a lying asshole. It's not that hard.

Well that's a rather strong opinion.

I won't stay in a relationship that isn't working out, and I'm always honest. I haven't honored every commitment I've ever made, neither have my partners, but I don't know that it makes us all assholes; situations change, especially over the years.

I also don't care what people think about me, I suppose. I'll take care of myself, as a self-imposed requirement. If that makes me selfish, so be it. I will opt for being selfish and happy, rather than not selfish and miserable. It's best for me AND my partner, because if I'm miserable, I guarantee my partner will be, too.

@MollyBell Do what ya gotta do. Btw, my opinions usually are strong, and sometimes, considered harsh.
I don't care what people think of me either. I don't sugar-coat anything for anyone. I also don't care if anyone agrees with me.

@KKGator Nice. I'm not worried about it either.

I would always be truthful to her that's how we have stayed together 30yrs but we haven't had sex in 13/14yrs

I won't coment because there are all kinds of happiness and who are we to judge others choices? I salute you and your partner.

If you are honest and not manipulating anyone, then there's nothing to worry about. That's the thing: be honest and make sure people genuinely are ok and comfortable with what is happening (people being your partners).

I'm not sure of the definition of "partner" if you're having other relationships. If you aren't exclusive, I don't know how there's cheating. Could be more about rubbing someone's face in the fact that they're not the only one.

Agree with you on that.

To me, cheating is breaking trust.

All sorts of descriptions, but from my viewpoint, cheating is when you lie, regardless of what you are doing, when you have to lie, you have cheated....

And why is the assumption that "cheating," has to do with sex ? There is any number of ways you can cheat on someone....and it comes back to the "LIE."

Why on all earth would you want to have "other" relationships when you are with someone?

@NotAndrew My meaning was romantic, intimate relationships.

Maybe the previous relationship is unsatisfactory. Maybe you fell in love with someone else. Maybe you're poly. Happens all the time.

@MollyBell If you are in a so called unsatisfactory relationship, you should get the hell out of there before starting a new relationship with anyone els. Yeah it happens all the time, what happens all the time is a lot of heartache and misery. It is disgraceful and dishonourable to embark on anything new before you have finished with who you are with. Karma will punish you for this kind of behaviour. Of course if you are in a poly relationship, it doesn't matter what or who you are with as the poly people say that they can love many people at the same time.

@Jolanta It depends on the poly relationship. For example, I won't be in an intimate relationship with someone who hid their other relationships from me. I not only support them pursuing other relationships, I encourage it. If they've got the time and spoons, I'm all about it.

As long as my partner is taking care of their mental health, and diligent regarding STIs, I think it's wonderful. In my current situation, almost everyone involved are friends with each other, and nobody is in the dark. It matters very much to me who my partners are seeing.

Anyway, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. You're obviously very passionate about the subject. ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:96067
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.