Agnostic.com
3 8

Not everyone is aware of how easy it is to propagate baby plants of African Violets ... this pic shows the original adult leaves which I cut cleanly, then inserted into potting soil and kept moist for many weeks. Then the tiniest little leaf showed up, followed by more and all kept growing. Now there are 3 darling baby plants, each still with its mama leaf which by now is redundant. Nifty, isn't it?

One can also start by keeping a starter leaf just in water then plant with the cluster of babies but I prefer this way

dede18 8 May 28
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I started a small collection of African Violets and related varieties last year. I haven't tried propagating yet, but I plan to when I can free up some space. My mom and grandma grew African Violets and mine remind me of them.

RussRAB Level 8 May 28, 2020

One of the first plants I ever learned to propagate. Much faster than from seed and they are genetically identical to the mother plants so you can have bunches of identical plants.

glennlab Level 10 May 28, 2020

I love African Violets and have propagated a few. That was before young cats lived in my house.

@dede18 If I didn't work full time and was home to protect them... but no, the kitties have been death to houseplants. My previous cat was blind and she didn't bother much of anything.

@HippieChick58 use a squirt gun, cats learn to respect that real soon....LOL

@HerbertNewsam Yes, I have a squirt gun, and they do run like hell when they see it. It is that 40+ hours a week that I am at work, and those 56 hours per week I'm trying to sleep that they do their mischief. When I am home the spray bottle is usually nearby. In fact the bottle in the bedroom is plastic, and all I have to do it tap on it and the guilty party will fly out of what ever mischief she is up to. Both cats are less than 4 years old, so full of piss and vinegar.

@HippieChick58 this little one less than a year yet and lizzy is 8...and punkin is a little terror...lol i just snapped this.

@HippieChick58 - Our cat is at least 16 and possibly as old as 18. I don't recall just when she came to live with us, but our youngest son who is now 34 was in high school and either a Sophomore or Junior. She has always been a docile cat who has preferred curling up on a pillow or blanket than climbing on everything. She has spoiled us for more curious cats who climb and scratch on everything.

@HippieChick58 You might have more luck putting aluminum foil under your houseplants - most cats hate the sensation under their paws. It can also keep them off counters you don't want them on.

Recent Visitors 32

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,506Top