Agnostic.com
4 11

Yesterday I dug up a very rare passion vine which a friend had grown for me from seed a year ago. I moved it up to a gallon container and then this past winter I moved it out to the center of the front border where I thought it might take over the pergola once occupied by a Kiftsgate rambler rose [photo1]. But another friend who has used this Passiflora membranacea in gardens he has designed for clients warned me on Facebook that it would not do well in full afternoon light. So I dug it up and moved it up to a 5 gallon container to keep until then [photo2].

So after thinking long and hard about this I decided I really did miss this vine so I'll be planting it this fall or winter back where my old vine had been, out along above the creek behind an old fig tree. This vine gets huge and I've seen it cover a forty foot tree. So, since we have another fig tree I decided this older one will become a living trellis for the vine. I might also let it grow over a couple of aspen trees nearby which are not doing so well anyway, but I will keep them off my redwood and Wigandia trees this time.

The other photos are from several years ago when I was growing this vine before. As you can see in [photo3,] the foliage is round and grows in abundance. In fact back then I'd fill my truck every other year with the vine when I'd cut back to the fence to keep the fig tree alive. Those leaves are olive green on the front side and purple on the back side. Drab looking in full sun, they and the purple bracts which precede the flowers become beautiful when back lit [photo4]. It produces a lot of flowers which hang down from the purple bracks all up and down the vine. [photo5]. The flowers don't refract as widely as most passion flowers, hanging down bell like instead [photo6]. Beneath the old fig tree and just to the right of the tool shed shown in photo3 is a gate that opens out to the creek and the park behind us. The new vine will go in right where the old one had been, just to the left of the gate [photo7], once I've improved the planting bed and the first rains are on their way.

MarkWD 7 May 30
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Passionflower vines are like weeds here

Lucy_Fehr Level 8 May 30, 2020

Passion flower vines grow very well in California. I grew many from seeds taken from my grandmothers fence in southern California. They like partial sun, not too hot, not too shady.

OldGoat43 Level 9 May 30, 2020

Wow, inspiring! I am just rooting my first passion vine cuttings from the public botanic garden. So should I keep it potted the entire first year? I am in a pretty hot climate. I want it as a host plant for those beautiful gulf fritillaries caterpillars.

Set the pot in the ground about half way. It will help cool the roots.

And remember these vines get huge so make sure you want to deal with cutting it back year after year. And watch for it spreading underground. Many vines do.

Many passion vines come from tropical climates and handle heat and humidity fine, but not frost. But P. membranacea comes from high altitude cloud forest regions of Mexico and central america where temperatures stay mild, nights are cool but there is never frost.

I'm not sure about the need to baby yours in a larger pot for a year. One nursery near me that sells this vine recommends that so since friends grew it I wanted to be careful. It was going great guns out in the front border and had an impressively bigger root ball when I dug it up. But even it probably wouldn't have bloomed very well out there even if it survived because of light and heat out there in the afternoon. But that isn't a problem for most passion vines, just the cloud forest ones.

@freeofgod Thanks. I have very little sun in the back yard. Otherwise the chainlink perimeter fence would be suitable. My front yard, half the size, and it gets strong sun but only from sunrise to early or mid-afternoon, depending on where in front. Already pretty full of raised beds, that vine might overwhelm any of them. So I think I will plant it at the base of the thick crape myrtle and let it battle it out with the Peggy Martin spring blooming rambling rose already there. That tree was huge(30ft). It cast too much shade and barely bloomed, so I chopped it back to a 7 ft tall four trunk vase shaped stump. It promptly sprouted like a chia pet on steroids, so it is a more manageable garden tree of around 15ft tall and doesn't cast too much shade. I have to prune it every winter to keep it in bounds, so the passion vine would seem a suitable matchup.
Btw, I know, I am a crape murderer, but I make no apologies. I was afraid I'd be incapable of clearing out the entire root system, so this is my compromise. I think the tree could provide great part shade conditions for the passion vine.

I planted my first passion vine in August the year I got it. It established well enough that 15 years later it is still going strong. I'm not in ideal conditions, but I still get some fruit and give away sprouts every year. I have two cultivars

@glennlab looks good! I feel like I should find a second cultivar to acheive some fruit.

@MikeInBatonRouge Happy to send you some sprouts if you want them, I have the blue which fruits most years even here in Dallas and the purple that should fruit where you are.

@glennlab if it is easy to ship, that would be lovely. Not sure how exchange of address info is handled on this site.

@MikeInBatonRouge just send me your address in messenger. We used to do it all the time in the seed exchange group before it folded into this one.

@OwlInASack The biggist problem is customs and quarrentine requirements. Even within the US there are certain plaants that you can't ship into/out of other states.

Photo 4 is reslly a piece of art. Beautiful!

Did something happen with photo 7? I see only 6.

RussRAB Level 8 May 30, 2020

Maybe there is a 6 photo limit? Here you go. The fig tree I'm giving it for a trellis is visible at the top of the fence.

Yeah the foliage and flower bracts when backlit just glow. I like the flowers too but their bracks and the leaves steal the show for me.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 34

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,507Top