Agnostic.com
11 4

We have a crazy weather, Austin is in state of emergency. Currently is 18F and a mix of icy rain and snow.
I brought most of my plants in the garage. But I left some out (under covers). My fear is that those left out are done and its too late to bring them in.
The garage is sooooo cold, I am not afraid even there is not protected enough. I read to put string of lights around them - it emits heat ? And helps keep them warm? Well, it looks like christmas inside my garage right now. Lol
I don't know.... I am so lost and stressed about my plants.
Anyone has any good suggestion? Anything is appreciated, even if its too late now, but I will know the future opportunities.

Zoohome 8 Feb 14
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I thought my hot tub enclosure would stay warm enough, well no ice on the plants, but it appears that the soil is frozen, I'll find out in a few days when it warms up.

glennlab Level 10 Feb 15, 2021

We are just thawing after 4 days of it here - trees and branches down, thousands still without power from electric wires being taken down. Fortunately, our plantings can take it, and garden season has not begun. GREAT that you put the lights around those plants you could!

I found my uv light, just plugged in over them. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Crazy freeze has officially reached here. This happened to my neighbor's pine three hours ago. I heard it snap. Missed my car and carport by a mere foot. I don't know how it missed my power line, but glad it did.

My raspberry bed is looking almost artistic. Ditto my "petrified" roses. Both are tough, thankfully.

A floodlight (s) and/or some of those caged lightbulbs mechanics use under a supported blanket, (not plastic!), and BEWARE of fire, or even overheating, will help....Xmas lights do not give off enough heat.....the roots need protection the most, dead/damaged tops can be trimmed & will regrow....remember heat rises,so put lights around the roots, rest your blanket safely atop the foliage.

AnneWimsey Level 9 Feb 15, 2021

We are expected to get colder as the day goes on, we haven't gotten above zero in two days. Currently -11. Supposed to get down to -20 tonight. Yeah, I'm so over winter.

hope not we are out of wood and the furnace isn't furnacing

Couldn't wash my hands at either end of the house . looks like my pipes are frozen .

Cast1es Level 9 Feb 15, 2021

Use a hair dryer to thaw, nothing hotter! ( & Patience!)
Then leave (cold water) faucets on "trickle" for the duration

@AnneWimsey You had me until cold water - I've been turning on the warm faucets, but I should be using the cold one?

@Lauren all that matters is the water keeps moving, the hot water is simply wasteful. If it's really cold & pipes run along outside walls in a cabinet, you can also leave the cabinet doors open.

Ooh, your 18° is headed our way. Hovering just below freezing here, now, but tomorrow night is expected to dip to around 16°.

There may be some wind leaks in the garage, You might want to elevate them on wood so the cold floor doesn't hit too hard. I had coffee plant and 2 lemon trees arrive during a blizzard in Iowa. They were in bags with water and arrived as blocks of ice. 3 years later, I still have them. They can survive being frozen, but, you may lose most of the leaves. Yes, I am growing lemons in Northern Iowa. (and grapes are about ready to harvest)

Fartwink Level 5 Feb 15, 2021

Thats a good idea. Some are easier to lift, others are over 400lbs (enormous eramic vases). But I'll try with what I have.

Incandecent light bulbs do generate heat . Some of the newer ones , not so much .

Cast1es Level 9 Feb 14, 2021

At this time of year, I am glad that I live in Tampa Florida. My spring garden is in the ground, and looks great. The highs in the next few days will be in the high 70s and low 80s.

wordywalt Level 9 Feb 14, 2021

Rub it on

Row covers will provide significant protection if properly installed, don't count your plants out just yet, they will probably bounce back.

Surfpirate Level 9 Feb 14, 2021

But they are in pots.... 😔 lemongrass is one of them, plus my beazilian tea herb boldo.
I truly hope so @surfpirate
I had them all under tarps, but I decided to bring the citrus trees inside after one night of freezing rain

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 31

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,506Top