Agnostic.com

30 9

Hello all! My husband and I live in a very dense Christian/republican area in Oregon so we've joined this site in hopes of making like minded friends. I would describe myself as agnostic. My husband is very much a visionary, believing that there is a way for us to live as a civilization where religion isn't holding us back and we can all thrive together, to be good without a god. Probably not in our lifetime, but it's a hope for one day in the future.

LemonsAreSweet 4 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You are very fortunate to have a partner who shares your beliefs

I do feel very lucky in that regard. 🙂 Especially considering we met in Texas in a VERY conservative area

Welcome! I live in Douglas County, Oregon--another area densely populated with Christians and Republicans. I am happy to have found this site. It is a great place to find support and to chill, or vent, with like-minded people.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome to the site. You and your partner are correct, there is a way to live without the interference of religion, here in Europe most of the major nations are 40% or more atheist/agnostic.

Stick to your guns, I know USA is an extremely religious place e, but it won't be forever!

Good to meet you guys. I love this site too!!

me and my lady are in the same boat as you. the one good thing about being without religion is that you think for yourself . there were many things in the bible that didnt seem right to me . christains often ignore or skip to another chapter to justify the evilness within the "holy" bible . and looking at today i hate to say it but i see more hate coming from the damn church then anything smh and yet people think this is right . its sad i really is. sometimes religious people will make you feel bad or hurt but stand strong my friends and believe no lies being told . believe in yourself 🙂 . best of luck to the both of and enjoy life you onky have one

Welcome. I'm also looking for friends that are more like minded here. We are not all athiest and agnostic here but a majority are. The majority of the religious folks are the open minded sorts that don't seem to judge or try to convert anyone

I totally understand, having lived in West Texas for 30 years. I live in a scientific community now in NM. It's so nice not having religion slap me in the face daily. I don't care if others believe. Just leave me out of it. I have no need or inclination to be "saved".

Welcome to the site! Hope we can help you feel less isolated.

Hay, Oregon! Howdy. I grew up in western Washington. My mother was from Eugene, OR. A lot of people think of the West coast states as being all progressive, but I know that is primarily only in the large population centers, like Seattle and Portland. I grew up ensconsed in evangelical fundamentalism that is still very much alive and well, even if not quite powerful enough to control the state government.
I naturally HAD to move to the land of enlightenment, Louisiana! :/

Your husband's visionary-ness is called Iceland! 😉
Welcome to the forum!

I live in Cowlitz county, Washington and it's honestly the same here but not as bad as it used to be. Welcome!

Welcome..

Welcome aboard

Hello! Enjoy your stay!

it's all good

Welcome to the site!!

I realised I was being lied to when I was a bout 8. and also didnt think I had done anything to be forgiven for so the cross business was pointless on my behalf at least

Thankfully I had a father that taught me to question everything, I did go to church but I had to go to every church in the area to see how they were different (contradicted each other), so I don't think I've ever actually believed. I honestly tried, only because there's so much pressure to do so, but I just gave up at around 12 and accepted that I didn't believe religion. I'd say I'm 60% athirst but the other 40% just doesn't know. I can't honestly say I know for sure what's out there or not.

I am not an agnostic, I am an atheist. I believe there is nothing after death and none of the other religious paraphernalia. I have a strong moral principals which I consider to be basic human values.

Welcome to our community. We are happy to have you. All opinions and thoughts welcome.

And Oregon is one of the least religious states in the union. I'm down here in Ashland, which has replaced monotheism with spirituality. I think you're pretty close to Idaho. Once you get east of Bend, all bets are off. You may need to come to the rainy side!

I would have a huge problem being involved with anyone that is "religious." I don't think I know what that that means. I describe myself as agnostic and certainly a skeptic. I look forward to meeting like individuals.

It has been a problem. We attempted to make friends but it always ends in them trying to "save" us. It's proven difficult to find anyone that isn't part of the church here it seems

Ooo, Baker City, the last place I considered living in Oregon before moving across the nation to Virginia… I hope to learn of your experiences there. Active on a ‘relocation site,’ few had anything positive to say about it, most actually describing it as boring. I didn’t believe them 🙂 I’d have loved to only been ‘that far’ away from friends & family in the Valley…

Sounds like you’ll fit in around here ..though I’m not exactly sure what your husband’s into, but it sounds fluid enough. There are hot-button issues, but surprisingly, or refreshingly, they’re not about religion 😉 It can get crazy, but when considering what appear to be purely provicational posts, most are extremely tolerant and respectful … far more so than a multitude of christian-laden online battle-chats I’ve stumbled into..

As a couple, I’ll assume you’re not here for the ‘dating’ aspect.. That, actually kept me from joining for a while, seems I’m taking stock in life at the moment. -- Too short a growing season there in BC - that’s what ultimate drove me on! Welcome 🙂

Varn Level 8 Dec 26, 2017

Where in Oregon do you live? I lived in Klamath Falls Oregon for three years. Very isolated and conservative religious people there.

Leah Level 5 Dec 26, 2017

Attempting to get away from the coast and valley, with a concern over the pending offshore quake.. I’d spent 3 days checking out Klamath Falls, which should likely have taken 20 minutes 🙂 I loved the fruit trees, sunshine, birding and irrigation water, but was warned of ‘conservative clicks,’ including the local tribe…

We're currently in Baker City on the Easter side of Oregon. Maybe we should have gone closer to the coast lol. Ironically we moved here a year ago from Texas for this same reason, we thought most of Oregon would be more open minded, guess we should have researched more

I think that is a hope we all have - same as your husband and you. If you can't find a group, and in a setting such as that (which is much like mine), I would go slowly opening up to people about your belief system. Many fundamental believers are not really very tolerant. I was going to organize a group of Humanists in our town and was advised against advertising in the newspaper for it. I read a blurb recently in a magazine that said, "Rapists are less feared and hated than are atheists." I don't know if it is true or not, but it got my attention.
I take the Humanist magazine and discuss the articles with my like minded friends in North Carolina - not here. The town in NC is full of professors, doctors, well educated people who have travelled many places and seen much of the world. My Florida town is a small agriculture/cattle town with many small ambitions and outlooks.
You and your husband might enjoy coming to the Humanist conference in Las Vegas this summer. I have been to the past two and they are really very good. I have met so many like-minded people and heard so many interesting lectures by famous and not so famous people. You would enjoy it. Join us.

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 6, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10843
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.