Agnostic.com

83 7

Opinions wanted: my now ex has suddenly converted to Christianity??

My boyfriend of 2 years has suddenly broken up with me on the grounds that he has suddenly found god and says he can hear god and that we cannot stay together or make our relationship work because of our difference in religious views. I feel like it’s incredibly unfair for him to have done this.

Cheeriobebe16 4 Dec 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

83 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What's the unfair part? If he has "found god," I think he's deluded, but it's his right to pursue any life path he wants. And if it's true that he has become Christian, then he's right that you are no longer compatible.

However, I think other posters may be on to something. There's a chance that this is just a way for him to break up with you and have you not be interested in winning him back or trying to make it work. It could be a ploy to ensure the split is permanent?

Whether or not his conversion is genuine, you're hurting. Time will heal this, but it will suck for a while. I know there is someone out there who will really be compatible with you and you will be happy.

As previously mentioned on here, I once knew a woman who told me that she had found god. I asked her where he had been hiding. She never spoke to me again...LOL

Dude good one...

I thought god must be in prison because everyone there finds him!

Reminds me of a meme that goes: Jesus is coming. Look busy!

For all the advice you're getting here to be happy and count yourself lucky to be out of that relationship, please don't take that to imply you are somehow considered stupid for feeling hurt. That's a natural part of a breakup that you didn't choose. But like others have said here, take some deep breaths, give yourself some time to process your feelings, and in all likelihood you will feel happier for it having happened now rather than dragging on for months or years.

What is "fair" in life, anyway. That is a treacherous concept to hang our hopes on, one that always seems to lead to resentments and disappointment; seldom to gratitude.

Also, your ex's stated reason for the breakup may not be the whole story, but regardless, you deserve someone who gets you and doesn't resent your world view.

I believe the term that comes to mind is "dodging a bullet". The dude hears voices...I would run like the wind.

Yeah buddy!

I assume your BF is about the same age as you are. You're very young all things considered and I gotta tell you there are lots more good men out there. At 20 you're still figuring stuff out, science will tell you your brain isn't fully mature for about 5 more years. You will be a different person at 25 then you are now. I don't think it is unfair for him to break up with you, people move on all the time. Seriously why would you want to hang on to someone who doesn't fit anymore. Give yourself some time to get to know who you are. Become the best you. You don't need a man to complete you. Enjoy your singleness and take time to find the right fit. There are worse things than being alone, like being in an unhappy relationship. Nurture you, What have you wanted to do that he didn't want to do? Do that now.

Life is hardly ever "fair". However, if he has "suddenly found god" and was told by that god not to stay with you for that "reason", it's quite likely that you are better off. To my mind, anyone suddenly finding god is exhibiting signs of a psychological break and has begun to descend into delusion. If he doesn't get professional mental health assistance, he's only going to get worse. Religious fanatics can be extremely dangerous to those they see as deniers of their faith. Sorry for your broken heart, but it won't hurt forever. Take care of yourself. Not everyone who comes into our lives is meant to stay there. Figure out what the lesson of this relationship was and learn it. Or not. Your call.

he is doing you a favour so onwards and upwards. I do smell a rat.

what he said.

Count your blessings!
Mine left after 23 years for that reason, and it was the best thing that ever happened to me..🙂

Although I understand it's difficult to have broken up, in a sense he's right and did you a favor — serious religiosity paired with nonreligious views is a recipe for problems. It's better that this happened now, before you decided to get married or make another commitment. It's best that he's shown you his true colors, e.g., how important religion is to him, before things got even more serious between you. There are other Darwin fish in the sea. Good luck to you.

I know you're upset by the sudden abandonment but eventually you'll realize it was for the best. Two years is a long time, but it would be worse if it were after years and years of marriage and with kids involved.

I suspect he never really was what he previously claimed to be - that or someone else such as a family member poisoned his mind with guilt.

There can only be one reason that that is a new partner demands it, that he is lying or he is hearing voices because of a neurological problem. He is trying to be fair with you, because there is nothing worse than being with someone you don't want to be with. Either way, focus on friendship and let him go - because he wants to. I think if we genuinely like and love another, we support their way of bettering themselves, no matter what direction they go in. I have remained friends with nearly all my X-s, most of whom are now married and when I see their married life, I am sooooo grateful that I am not in the place of their wives, knowing how unhappy I would have been. I have only been married one time, divorced at 26 and remained a happy single woman for over 50 years. I have discovered many good men to be wonderful short term (4-7 years) lovers that simply would not make good husbands but excellent, life long friends. People change, as well they should, if it is good for them. I have had far more fun experiences with different men, that one man's interests and resources could never fill. The men in these serial relationships have enriched my life immeasurably. After all, we are the sum of our experiences. For that I am grateful.

I am in complete agreement with all that you said here. I have been a single man and live alone for 49 years and have enjoyed all that you have said in my many relationships with women who I have experienced in my life.

May be one day I will be at your level of peace.
Thanks for the insightful reply/post.
STBX wife of 16 years (+4 dating) used that on me... "not fair to you" and "just want to be friends" no thanks! Sad my son has to suffer for it.
Focus on you to be better for next partner!

A PS to my response: Be the right person to yourself - that's all that matters. I think we couple as a cultural habit that insists on it because of paternity assurance and heredity laws. If you want a child make your life so that you can support it because fathers are absolutely no guarantee to be helpful and most often use a child custody as punishment in court battles. It's not worth any of that, chances are that you will wind up raising your child alone anyway.

I think there are other men whom will love you.

And if not, fuck 'em. Took me 36 years and a million tears to learn you're better off alone than with a loser who wants you for all the wrong reasons. Love yourself, love those worthy of it but don't expect it in return.

I've never found tbe right person.

Me either. Or maybe I did but was too busy dealing with whatever wrong guy I had lurking around just then.

I like being single. Men constantly stare or smile at me. I get shy and walk on looking straight ahead with my sunglasses on. I did today on the way to and from the gym. I'm getting more into shape. My calves are bigger than in this picture, now.

@Sarahroo29 Be the right person to yourself - that's all that matters. I think we couple as a cultural habit that insists on it because of paternity assurance and heredity laws. If you want a child make your life so that you can support it because fathers are absolutely no guarantee to be helpful and most often use a child custody as punishment in court battles. It's not worth any of that, chances are that you will wind up raising your child alone anyway.

I don't plan on ever having kids.

This is only my opinion, but if he's suddenly hearing God voices in his head, you're probably best out of it. At least until he gets some help. Guys do dumb things all the time, I should know I've been one my whole life, things can seem unfair and can hurt at the time but soon that will pass and quite often there are silver linings, you've got a whole lifetime and whole planet to explore and discover. Seize the day!

Dav87 Level 6 Dec 27, 2017

Condemning you because you don't believe what he believes? Yup, he sounds like a Christian!
Getting dumped sucks, especially when you suspect their reasons are total bullshit. Be sad and angry as long as you need to be but know it gets better. Also know there aren't many who can't begin to understand what you're going through. Probably safe to say there has been a broken heart in this group before. Feel free to message me instead anytime you get the urge to message him. Keep your chin up, lady. At least he left you for an imaginary person and not your sister. You'll get through it.

Another thing to consider of this breakup is that the loss you may feel about the time and emotions you invested in the relationship does not have to mean you "wasted" that time in your life. You absolutely learned things from it; some obvious, some subtle, some maybe not so good, but also some certainly good. Your focus can be on extracting lessons you can for constructive use with whatever relationship(s) you have in the future. A relationship is not automatically a waste just because you don't spend the rest of your lives together. Hopefully you will find enough peace to eventually wish him well with his future and let go of what he did, even if he may not be mature enough to wish you well. You don't want to carry resentment with you into a future relationship. That wouldn't be good for anyone involved.

In a reverse of your experience, I broke up with a girl years ago. She was never outspoken or in your face about her religion, but I always knew it was there. She would act funny in the car if I put on news or podcasts that were atheistic. And she was an Xmas Christian for sure ( only went to church for this ) At dinner one night, it just hit me and I questioned her on how she would raise our child. She said; teach them god, church, etc...the normal child indoctrination that had happened to her to some degree. I’m an advocate for raising a child teaching them how to think, not what to think. After 2 years, that was our final date.

I agree. I went through something similar. After two years she decided to end it because I didn’t believe in God. I’m sorry. Let the jerk go.

the emotional catharsis of faith when being reborn is strong. Like falling in love. Treat it like he has a super strong crush on another girl and dumped you. Im sorry. take care

If he's really hearing god's voices, then yes, consider yourself to have had a lucky escape.

In all honesty, I doubt he does. What I suspect is that he's found someone else (possibly a Christian) and he wants you out of the way so that he can pursue them. In my experience, about 8 times out of 10, when someone declares an established relationship unworkable, they've already got the next candidate lined up.

Count yourself lucky... Run honey, run away... How would you react if you guys had kids and he wanted the kids to go to Sunday school? Or that you and your kids had to live your lives by the "babble".

He’s a brainwashed idiot, who probably let some stupid Christian molest his brain. Damn Christians and their ways of trying to convert people!!! Seriously, though, if he choose God out of all people, he wasn’t worth being with. I know what I say won’t take away the pain. Reality for him will creep back in. By this point, please stay strong and not allow this man to hurt you again. The term “The Jeolous God” went to a new meaning here. God haven’t done anything miraculous lately for me to ever think about leaving the one I love side when this is supposed to be the person I’m supposed to be being a companion to. If God was doing such a miraculous job with being God then we would not be having doctors and scientist working hard to come up with new cures to saves the lives of many. He’s certainly not worth sacrificing real life relationships with real people for.

He's lying through his teeth. Let the scumbag go and find someone more worthy of your attention.

SamL Level 7 Dec 27, 2017

Scysophenia and fear... undated? Run my friend and don't look back. Hearing god is the same as people saying god told them something. Run..!

I do not know him personally, so can not be judgemental. But, my rational brain is not able to digest the 'excuse' given by him for breaking up. You know him more than anyone of us. If you felt it's unfair, then it is. So, Lady, move on. Cheerios.

It is more likely that he has manufactured this excuse for breaking up. There is probably another reason that he does not want to admit. You are better of without him. Don't be sad. Be mad and glad!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10896
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.