Agnostic.com

13 2

Do you think the anonymity of the internet is good for social discourse?

I see people post really extreme opinions online, things I suspect they would never say in person. Even here, where you might be tempted to expect more rational thinking, I see people say things and label things in an extreme way. I fear that this type of rhetoric promotes exclusion and fear.
I also see the anonymity of the internet as very liberating and helping to promote the exchange of all ideas. I suppose it's a variation of the freedom vs responsibility problem.

towkneed 7 June 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No it's not. We've stopped talking with, and now talk "at" each other in ways we would not in person.

I’m old enough to remember when internet use was a new, shiny thing to play with. I remember thinking, gee, this is great, it will level the playing field and bring greater discourse with ideas instead of visual cues such as the way one looks, talks, clothes themselves, etc. I think a little of that is still around today, but it has also morphed into a new venue of social distortion, where fears are magnified and preyed upon, along with the good stuff that connects people near and far. Such is the human condition...the world continues to spin.

PenLOP Level 7 June 26, 2018

Yes and no. I think it's good for introverts who might otherwise not feel comfortable joining a dialogue or participating in a community. I think it's good for people who may be in a situation where it would be dangerous for them to speak out IRL. It can be good for people who may feel that their voices aren't being heard to be able to reach out and communicate via the internet.

But I also agree with you, it can really bring out the bad side of people. When you can post hateful things completely free of consequence, it leads to a lot of arguing, trolling, and just blatant hatred. It's disheartening to see some of the things that get posted online.

K_M_C Level 4 June 26, 2018

Yin & Yang. If it is illegal to be who you are then it is a good thing. If you are an evil doer not a good thing.

Its liberating for good people and a shield for bad people to snipe from with impunity. Seems to magnify the impact of both ends of the spectrum.

It gives the haters free reign.

Extreme to one person might not be extreme to another.

There is a tradeoff with pretty much everything.

I'm always outspoken but my user name in here and other places is a shortening of my own given name. In fact, it's Africa shing. I use this because my workplace is all super religious and I'm in the heart of Trump land. I want to keep my job so I hide my real name. This is true for me even on Facebook.

No. I don't think that sort of anonymity is healthy. I think it disconnects us from lasting personal responsibility. I've posted things on the internet that I would never posed to another human being face to face. I've also tried to learn to do better, and take personal responsibility seriously, even if nobody knows who I am.

NerdyB Level 4 June 25, 2018

Anonymity online is a good thing to promote a frank exchange of views. But everyone should always be aware that it doesn't protect anyone who commits a crime by making threats.

I agree with much of what you said.
I think social media can exascerbate some people's insecurities.
Then again, there are people like me, who don't give a flying rat's ass
and will say exactly what's on their minds. I don't need anonymity.
It can also allow people who may be painfully shy, the courage in their anonymity to speak their minds.

What she said..

Depends on one's sincerity or if they are just an agitator.

Totally concur!

Looks like you already covered what I was going to say. So I agree with your opinions on this.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:115875
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.