Agnostic.com

55 2

What’s the worst or most boring job you’ve ever had?

Lol I won’t deny that when I worked briefly as a greeter was probably one of my most boring.

EmeraldJewel 7 July 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Working in a logistics office and processing delivery truck manifests in a room with no windows. Every hour felt like a whole day.

Fuck the capitalist dream.

I had a job at a cheese factory, my job was to cut the cheese, that job stunk...

Lmfao I would have been tempted to eat it!

I'm a small business owner and I love what I do. I've only had two jobs before. I worked at a chemical plant and I'm a Vietnam vet. Hard call which was worse.

The Army

The worst job was teaching high school for 3 yrs. I love my subject matter but hated other teachers, administration and the fact that I was just babysitting teenagers who didn't care about school.

Dipping wire ends in flux at an electronics assembly factory (or I think that was what I was doing). My brother worked on their computers there and got me the job to make extra money to pay for undergrad courses, so I put up with it.

I had a temp job in the office of a paint manufacturing plant. I was there for not even a few hours, the chemical odor was so bad I had to leave. That job was almost 30 years ago; to this day I still remember the smell.

Production office at a plastics thermoforming plant. It was a wealthy company that clearly spent a good chunk of its profit paying off OSHA, as the air quality was so bad one couldn't see further than ten feet for all the particulate matter in the air. No lung protection of any kind was provided. The ventilation was so bad that in that little shoebox of an office there was a literal 20-degree difference between one side and the other. We measured it. I surprised it didn't have its own weather.

I was a temp, brought in to prep the office for Y2K in two months. From Windows 3.1 and DOS. I fucking hate DOS.

The job was very cool one of the task really sucked. I had worked at Stroh's brewery one of the tasks was called pinsetter. You would stand in the same spot for 8 hours less breaks. Setting up fallen bottles and removing broken glass on a conveyor belt. They usually assigned this task to someone less competent of running machines. Sometimes the regular person would be on vaccination. If you had low seniority you would get put on this task for a week. Staying awake was tough. Luckily I was able to run just about every machine and rarely got this job.

Selling Avon dooor-to-door to farm women in Kansas...they only wanted the Roses Roses cologne...I sold a lot of that...

Waitressing while in school. I lasted 60 days and knew I would finish school. I now have a great respect for food service people.

Factory job

Looking after people in the community.same old same old.visit here visit there and then bored............e

I did telemarketing for "charity". Supposedly raising money for police and firefighters disabled in the line of duty. The boss was an awful racist, homophobic Christian fundamentalist who verbally abused his staff. One day I had almost got a sale when he shouted "YOU VEGAN F****T!" at a co-worker ( the only person I liked there who was vegan but straight). The person on the phone said "Oh my God how sick of you!" and hung up on me. Then my boss got all over me about loosing the sale when I knew if he hadn't been shouting his stupid head off I would have made the sale. He threatened to fire me for lack of sales a few days later but I decided to quit and called the next day as his and my other guy co-workers sexual harassment and bullying was making things so hard for me I started vomiting coming to and from work. Can't believe I wasted two months of my life at that cesspool. Yeah right most of- or probably all of- that money was lining the bosse's pockets as he had some weird racist cult he was a member of in the desert community he lived in and his wife homeschooled the kids in isolation ( no contact with the outside world even TV and internet was forbidden) teaching them racist and homophobic lessons.

"Come on, it can't be THAT bad!" a customer said, watching me dejectedly wiping down a nearby restaurant table.

Waitressing convinced me to go to graduate school. I worked a YMCA program director while in graduate school and ultimately, for eight years.

Loved being a YMCA program director! I learned: writing news releases, designing brochures, public speaking, marketing, program planning, researching community needs, people skills, supervision, training and budgeting.

The skills I learned as a YMCA program director help me to this day.

During college for my first degree, I took a weekend job at a funeral home helping people make funeral arrangements, select coffins, and set up payments.

The shock and horror of realizing how many people leave NO MONEY to pay for their expenses and seeing families struggle to pay for funerals convinced me by to buy a 20 year pay, Whole Life policy for $20K to cover my expenses. I paid it off by the time I was 40 and now it's there (along with additional insurance purchased along the way).

Insurance, it's the adult thing to do... (unless you are donating your body to science....but you still need to pay for the viewing/service that YOU KNOW your relatives are going to want).

12 hours of standing on a platform watching bagels on a conveyor. Just about the time you are almost asleep, they would get jammed up and pile up on the floor. Run like mad, unjam, then another 3 hours of staring at bagel going past.

My first KP in the army, loading, unloading dishwasher for a 300 man mess hall, scrubbing kitchen garbage cans, digging latrines in the field... actually my entire six years in the army.

Tomas Level 7 July 2, 2018

For a two week period, I was a test examiner for a company. I basically sat there and watched a person take a test. No book reading, no writing, nothing.

I worked for a really crappy thrift store, I was the only person there under 65 and all the oldies treated me like I was an idiot. They would put me on shift on my own without the ability to lock up shop which wasn't a problem until I fell pregnant with my first child, my constant need to pee without help ended up being too much so I had to quit

Ugh’ I know that feeling!

Worst job? Working as a Correctional Officer at a Work release prison. Most boring? Probably the same one. Although every job I had had plenty of boring days.

Worst job was working for a timeshare company, telephoning people that had entered their contest to tell them that they'd won something. From the description, you'd think that the people I was calling would be pleasant. Nothing could be further from the truth. I call them, remind them that they filled out a contest entry form, and that they had won something - they had only to show up, listen to a 30-60 minute sales presentation, and then pull an envelope out of a bucket to determine which of the five available prizes were theirs. The level of hate that was directed at me during each and every call was stomach-turning. I think I lasted all of three days there.

When I was 19 I worked for a temp agency. They sent me to an industrial lumbar yard where I spent 3 days loading boxcars with 2x4s. A fork truck brought a pallet of 2x4s up to the boxcar and we stood inside moving and stacking the boards all day. Bend down, pick up some boards, carry them in and bend down again to stack them. Repeat. All day. The first time I've ever paid attention to the 15 minute break schedule thing.

I was a telephone operator. I'm sure that (when it was quiet) at least half of us were asleep sitting up.

That would probably have to be in 1988 when I was the "Bottle Boy" at a Thriftway grocery store. This was well before any kind of machine being invented to help people count their own. I was the machine and every time someone came in to redeem the 5 cent deposit, I was called over the intercom and had to run up to the front of the store from the back where I was most likely flattening cardboard or stocking coolers. Now, if these bottles and cans were washed by the customers prior to having them redeemed, that would be one thing, and a miracle, because it was never done. I mean, really, why would you? But, that meant I handled (without gloves, somehow also not commonly used back in 1988) the most vile, filthy, slimey, gooey, greasy, stinky and foul cans and bottles you can possibly imagine. Many had chew spit in them, or piss, or other bodily fluids which invariably came gushing out all over me when I least expected it. By the end of my shift I felt and smelled like I'd spent 8 hours in the bottom of a trash dumpster. Worst job ever.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:120351
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.