Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just do it lol

Just say it! Assuming that you've done your homework!

"I don't believe in that stuff" Period.

Mostly I don't. I just politely refuse to visit their church services, throw away any literature they give me, or of push comes to shove just tell them I"m a non-believer and let them make of it what they will.

Depends on the context. At work, I would avoid it if possible. With friends and family, just come out with it.

If they ask I simply tell them and don't worry about it. It usually starts a conversation.

I don’t bring it up unless they ask. I wish I could be more open about it.

I'm always reminded that i'm gonna end up in the lake of fire......
"FOREVER AND EVER"

Yes
....tell them you are a Capital A "Atheist" and say you wouldn't push the xian religion on Jews so do the same and keep your hell threats and heaven bribes for other xians

I don't socialize with religious people problem solved.

Skeptic,,, seems like a better word choice than atheist when talking to Bible bumpers

A big part of my atheism, and my humanism, is honesty and a will to live life in a self-respecting manner. I really do not see why I have to change the way I speak, or why I have to use euphemisms in consideration of their delicate ego or fragile beliefs. Why having such considerations toward them when they do not extend the same considerations toward us?

I explain that I have spent many years exploring the different faiths and decided my best avenue is to distance myself from all...if they will like to discuss a different subject, I am pleased to accomodate...

It depends on what they are saying and if they are addressing me. If they are looking to me for any kind of response to their religious talk, I will say I am an atheist.

So it's not a good idea to say "your religion is a load of crap, and so are you" even if they're not addressing me? 😛

@bingst It's a great idea!..... Not ?

@thislife Still doesn't keep me from thinking it, no matter how hard I have to bite my tongue. 😛

@bingst I know. It's so frustrating that nonsense is the "norm".

Just be real and say who you are. If they are real and decent people, it won’t matter what you believe. But history of course says different of course. Whoever cannot accept you as you are isn’t worth your time

I'm honest and just tell whomever the truth when asked if I believe. The reactions I get are priceless sometimes. The next question is usually, " Well what do you believe in?"

I think we are all aware that Political Correctness has found its way into most interpersonal communications. It seems the purpose behind this is to avoid giving offence to any other human being or group relating to their physical attributes or intellectual processes. This princip!e is currently applied in issues regarding, behaviour, social interaction, political affiliations and religious bliefs; but is often ignored in discussions regarding religious issues. Many religious believers (and "pretend" believers) feel justified in responding quickly and strongly critically to the statement '" am an atheist" or "I am not convinced that there is a god". This reaction varies from criticism to the death penalty in some countries. Is it possible that the self righteous brainwashing at all stages in a religious is so strong that the offended person is outraged to a point where it seems justified

I think we are all aware that Political Correctness has found its way into most interpersonal communications. It seems the purpose behind this is to avoid giving offence to any other human being or group relating to their physical attributes or intellectual processes. This princip!e is currently applied in issues regarding, behaviour, social interaction, political affiliations and religious bliefs; but is often ignored in discussions regarding religious issues. Many religious believers (and "pretend" believers) feel justified in responding quickly and strongly critically to the statement '" am an atheist" or I am not convinced that there is a god.

It doesn't come up often but when people find out I lost a child, they often say "Well at least he's in a better place". Depending on my mood (and how self-righteous vs genuinely concerned they seem) my reply is usually that "Actually, according to your rules, he's burning in hell since he wasn't a born-again Christian...and neither am I".
The look on their face is usually priceless....but that's what they get for assuming we share beliefs

Since the word atheist has negative vive to it. For some reason. I would just say "There is not enough evidence for me to accept X religion"

Well, I say, let us rescue the word and get it out of that undeserved place in our lexicon (the lesson given to us by our LGBT brothers and sisters should serve as an example and inspiration). Let us not allow the believer to define atheism. I say that I am an atheist, and I tell them why.

And also, believe atheists are brave individuals by definition. As atheists, we have to take full responsibility for our actions and accept all their consequences knowing full well that there is no superpower that will come to save us. I enjoyed that protection when I was five and my father carried me on his shoulders; I am no longer five, my father is no longer here to protect me, I now protect myself, I don’t need my father, I don’t need a god. As atheists we know that when our bodies reach the end of their functionality, that’s it, and we accept that end without the need of a promise of an afterlife. As strong and loving individuals, we love ourselves and have people that love us; we don’t need the love of an non-existing being. As strong individuals, we are at ease in solitude; we don’t need the promise of ever loyalty. As atheists we know life has no other meaning but the one we want to give to our lives. As atheists we don’t need a powerful god, we are powerful over our lives. This is the description of brave person, and we are the few.
And this is why the wind “atheist” should not have a negative vibe! 🙂

I don't proselytize but I answer truthfully and don't get defensive if asked. The only problem I have had is "...so are you an atheist an agnostic?" Then if I explain that I self-refer as atheist but agnostic is probably more accurate since nobody KNOWS there is no superior intelligent being, they say, "So! You're saying there might be a ?" Aaaand the discussion then goes downhill...

You would probably have to say something like "I'm an atheist" No doubt then. Everyone can move on.

I think you will find you are not " surrounded by Christians" as you think, the number of " Nones " is growing rapidly in the US. The figure is over 20% now and growing, although they may still be " spiritual " , what ever that means.

I am lucky, I live in the UK. in My 30's when someone told me they where Christian I used to reply " Oh! How unfortunate for you! " , I have mellowed a bit now.

I really don't care what strangers think...I don't know, I don't have answers, I don't make up answers. That's what I'd tell them, and I don't do "faith".

I don't say anything unless it comes up in conversation. Then it is normally well actually I am an atheist.

Me too sorta....Meeting new people at non-Atheist events I assume everyone is neither believer nor scientific....of course people often push xian shit with crucifix pendants, idiot bible billboard clothes or religious graffiti in/out their homes cars....bottom line I NEITHER HIDE nor "convert" to Atheism.....I am a politician and I am an American (1st) Atheist (2nd) everybody has the right to be wrong trial and error works but critical thinking is better

I don't volunteer it unless asked. Because it's not an important part of my life. If they do ask, then I might say something like oh I don't go to church or I'm not religious.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.