Agnostic.com

58 19

Sexual Compatibility - How better to phrase it?

Am I the only one who thinks that the profile question "Is sexual compatibility important to you?" is not asking the right question? I think that the only people to whom sexual compatibility is not important are people that are inexperienced in matters of long term love, or those who are either oblivious or uncaring about the damage that it causes when sexual incompatibility exists. I think that the real question is "Do you have a high, moderate or a low drive?" After all, if both people have the same drive, they will be much happier in the long run. I know that drives can be affected by emotional issues within the relationship, but that exception aside, what are your thoughts?

Addendum:
Relationships are complicated, no matter how you look at them. They are 2 or more people choosing to remain in communication with one another for some purpose. Add into that connection an agreement that the relationship is of a sexual or romantic nature and it gets more complicated. I know that building a happy, healthy relationship requires work, compromise and respect between its members. My question is targeted solely towards a better way of communicating sexual compatibility. When I wrote this question, I wasn't even thinking about compatibility of tastes, and I appreciate the broadening of the issue - because yes, same drive, different pleasures can also make a huge difference in how you relate sexually and the impact it has on a relationship.

That said, my question still remains the same, for those that agree with me that the question could be better phrased: What would be a better question? Obviously, once you start talking to someone and trust them, you will get more specific - but what is a good starter question, for those who choose to answer it?

FlippantLlama 8 July 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To.me compatibility isnt as much drive, as it is to being into the same things sexually.

Any question asked would be too broad to get at the issue. Sex drive is just one factor in sexual compatibility, so I think that asking about sexual compatibility overall is a better question than just asking about sex drive

As others have said, sexual compatibility is a lot more than your individual drive.

True fetishes where someone cannot orgasm without the stimuli are fairly rare and if the other isn't into that there's always therapy, I'd suggest a Certified Sex Therapist.

Maybe I'm naive here, but IME while sex is essential, if everything else is going well then sex also goes well. Even if one person isn't in the mood, it's usually easy to get turned on bc the person you care about is hot and wants to turn you on.

If your lover really wants to do something and they're not selfish, then you should make them happy. If what you want absolutely disgusts them, then your respect for and concern for them should win out over your desires.

Communication is essential, I've actually adopted some of the religious teachings on healthy sexuality I had in seminary where open, non-judgmental dialog is critical. If someone is unhappy with sex, it needs to be discussed thoroughly and without judgment from either party. There shouldn't be any topics that are totally closed off IMO and that includes things in the bedroom, but just bc people discuss fantasies, that doesn't mean they have to play them all out.

I agree. If any topics of conversation are tabu, intimacy is lacking. Wbo eants to trip over sacred cows. There are too many other things to worry about, like which direction the toilet paper should hang.

@gigihein oh crap! You had to bring up the toilet paper roll... "A"!, Always "A"! (forward- feeding) lol 😉

@gigihein in my opinion, the only sacred cows in a relationship should be intimacy, concern and mutual respect.

@TroyBarber64 well have TP match

@educatedredneck absolutely

I believe that it is important to be satisfied or sexually fulfilled because if you are lacking the things that you need to be happy and you can't make someone else happy! For example if you don't like what you are watching on TV you change the channel, if you don't like a book you are reading you find a new book. And the same will happen with sex, if you aren't having enough or it isn't satisfying then you will eventually find it with someone else!

Personally, I think the question is fine the way it is because sexual compatibility comprises of everything from frequency to methods to lifestyle. It’s also kind of pointless to go into much detail when realistically we don’t even have any candidate nearby to date 😟 I think these are the kind of personal questions to ask after two people have gone out already and want to establish something more.

Is sexual chemistry's important to you?
How important is sex to you in a relationship.

Just want to say, very well written, and intuitive. Maybe you should write these things.

Compatibility and drive can be two different topics completely. Drive doesn't have much to do with proclivities.Why not ask both?

If she doesn't like me wearing my Batman outfit in bed we're not compatible 🙂

ipdg77 Level 8 July 21, 2018

Just watch out for the fucking ceiling fan and make sure she can get the cuffs off in an emergency.

How you are in bed is often a reflection of the person you are with.

I think sexual compatibility works. It has a broad description made of of many factors so while it isn't specific it still is applicable. Unfortunately the only way to know whether you have that with someone is by doing it. I think it is a pretty critical component of a relationship. If that part works well alot of other problems are not very important, therefore, being easier to resolve or ignore completely.

I prefer the phrase 'physical chemistry' or I suppose 'physical attraction' works as well.

I also feel it important to note that there are people who identify as asexual, people with diminished sex drive due to a disorder (or its treatment) and I expect sexual compatibility is either a null-sum issue or is of very low priority.

Upon review I must revise my statement. Does being asexual or possessing a very low libido and preferring the same in your partner classify as 'sexual compatibility' or is the centering on the absence of sex make it no longer sexual compatibility?

Granted if people are interested they canh lern wht their partner likes and thus become sexually compatible. However, I had had partners who were only concerned with their own gratification.

Perhaps the question should be "Do you think it is important for your sexual partner(s) to enjoy sex as much as you do yourself?" But, would a selfish person answer that honestly?

That may come up in other areas of the relationship too.

Either there is fire or not....the next thing down the line is for how long.....if both have the same drive and the fire is rekindled in regular basis then that's just perfect....as perfect as it can be

I think you’re right. Another way to put it is: are you (a ) (1) Nymphomaniac, (2) Normal or (3) Frigid.
?

@FlippantLlama
Me, of course.

Or a Satyromaniac? 😉

Funny

Did you ever flash your tits in public? (Mardi Gras beads)
Do you like or love anal sex?
Do you swallow cum?
Would you go to a swingers party.
Ever had a threesome?
Ever fucked a person from another race?

If your answer to these questions is no way, never or I'm not going to answer that then we're done here. If you're not mature enough to answer these common experiences honestly then you and I certainly wouldn't be compatable. This is life not a guessing game.

@goldenvalleyguy
No way! You can't trust those fucking squirrels. ?

@Alvinsmama

What time should I pick you up? ???

Boy this topic is actually discussed in a mature clinical manner. I would thick the obvious answer is date someone religious. For the fact that they are gullible and like to get nailed.

I think you've thought it through about right.

The way I took the question is if one of you is more sexual or less sexual would that be means to end the relationship.

In my best relationships I would have sex about everyday. We might miss a few due to sick days and shark week, but most of the time someone is getting off lol.

That is my take and I think it is important.

@McWalsoft Shark week. LMAO

Perhaps some people are looking for Platonic relationships?

@Bjy001 I think they'd be looking for compatibility without sex, actually.

Just not sexual compatibility.

@Bjy001 it's a preference, a non-sexual one.

You have to understand methods of thinking for this. Imagine a woman naked and drunk high on a balcony and a man sees her. Immediately he calls his friends over and says "look at this." They all smile and are happy.

Now switch that scene and it is a naked man drunk high on the balcony. The woman that called the police told them "it was just awful and I could hardly look." She was in tears as she talked to them.

Apply this to sexual compatibility.

I think you have stated the issue quite adroitly. I concur, the question is the compatibility of the sexual drive for each individual in the relationship.

t1nick Level 8 July 22, 2018

When two partners have similar drives it makes life very fulfilling and beautiful between two adults. I love that Dan and I are evenly matched.

It could be phrased you like dick,minge, both or neither ? That should cover all bases

I suspect most relationships have some sort of compromise in this area, and for the ones that don't, most of THEM probably have severe deficits in other areas.

Also: our DNA has this strange bird-call, up from the cellular, to the amygdala pushing behavior modifiers into our brains. This stuff is hard-coded, and requires a lot of effort to be user-modified (you can work out, but you can't get taller).

Drive will vary over time due to a number of factors. I believe commitment is much more important over the long term than compatible drive levels.

I don't know. It may, but it may not. A relationship with the only compatibility being sex, doesnt work over time...but the absence of it with all else good would be a deal breaker for me, I think.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:125889
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.