Agnostic.com

55 6

Do You have a Personal Saying Or Quote About Things Or Your Life?

I was wondering if you have a personal saying or quote that you have come up with that you follow in your life?

For example:
Some famous saying and quotes are:
"never judge a book by its cover"
"sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose"

If you have a unique saying or quote about things or life you came up with and follow, please share it, and give us details about the meaning.

If you have no personal Saying or Quote, please share your favorite saying or quote. THE MORE UNIQUE THE BETTER!

Me: My personal saying is: "Everything that is free, Isn't always for me"

My reason for coming up and following this saying is because i have observed people attack something free like a predator!
When the board members have luncheons or conferences at my hospital, they send the leftover food down to the subordinates. I observe people fighting over LEFTOVERS!

I will not eat someones leftovers! if i cannot be ahead of the crowd and get my food, i don't eat. I am a germophobe!
This is the reason for my saying " everything That is free, isnt always for me".

twshield 8 July 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My Personal Quote:

"Secret" to "No Drama":

It is when You and your Partner are able to
Celebrate your Shared Values
And
Respect Your Differences.

“Don’t mistake my kindness for weakness for I am kind to everyone. Cross me and weakness is the last thing you’ll remember about me.” Al Capone

PaulD Level 5 July 17, 2018

Not my original quotes but I often use the following:

"The world is not ours, we borrow if from our children" (a Native American foundation of morality)

• when someone makes a silly mistake and openly shows embarrassment: "If I had a dollar for every time I did that I would have a lot of money". - - usually works to bring you to their level and reduce the impact of their mistake. (I am, among other things, an elementary school teacher)

This one I preface with - - this is not necessarily the case but an interesting quote is: "No good deed goes unpunished." - - a cautionary warning that "good intentions" may have adverse outcomes. Usually opens discussion on the topic of consequences for actions.

Other things I say more then most:

"Interesting, I did not know that. Can we trust that source?" Why?

"Good answer! How did you figure that out?"

"I do not know is a very good answer."

"Thank you for correcting me. I really appreciate you helping me understand."

"It only takes three clicks" - I also do tech support

"I value truth above things that are just pleasant."

"If you can demonstrate I am wrong, I will thank you."

Defy definition.

I've said some clever things while giving advice to friends but hell if I can remember them! Lol! My favorite quote is from Eleanor Roosevelt. "Do what you feel in your heart to be right, for you'll be criticized anyway."

This justisfies any actions you take out of pure gut instinct. No regrets this way. No matter what you do, people will either like or dislike it. Fuck 'em and follow your heart.

I like that one

I am as young as the woman I feel. Always gets people to give a “did I just hear him right” look. Lol

What goes around comes around

Different folks different strokes

They/we haven't got a pot to piss in let alone a window to chuck it out of 🙂

ipdg77 Level 8 July 14, 2018

'What can't be cured, must be endured.'
More so in the context of stupidity and blind optimism.

Enjoy the ride.

I live by it to the point that it's permanently written in my skin.

There's a scene in the movie, Mosquito Coast, where Harrison Ford's character & family have lost everything they've struggled to create in a remote jungle. His wife speaks up for herself and her kids when she suggests they admit defeat and make their way to the village downstream. His reaction: "Downstream? We're not going downstream! Dead things go downstream!!" I'm fiercely stubborn and similarly loathe to admit defeat, so that last part becomes something of a mantra when a plan or project starts to take a beating.

Work hard play hard love hard. Not necessarily in that order.

My response to "Hi-how-are-you" is "I'm getting better all the time, thanks. How are you?"

People in our culture are on autopilot so much in their interactions with others. Hi-how-are-you is almost always followed by Fine-how-are-you.

My response accomplishes two things.

First, we believe what we tell ourselves. When I tell myself that I'm getting better all the time, I believe it, and it comes to pass.

Second, it serves to wake people up from their stupor, if only for a minute or two. I don't respond in the prescribed way, so it makes them stop their autoresponses and pay attention for a moment. It's wonderful to watch people wake up and interact on a personal basis, however briefly.

Similarly, when asked how I am, I always say, "On a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 = fantabulous) I'm a 7.8 today. Where are you on that scale?" It always tells me so much more than "fine" & I think it's good to have that measured insight about our current condition. By the way, I'm happy with anything higher than 5.

A friend once asked me why I was so hard on myself, undemanding and self-denying.
I replied "I live in the gaps between other people's lives".
She laughed so hard I didn't forget it, and I think it could well be my motto.

Gareth Level 7 July 14, 2018

A line from Green Hell has always been significant to me for various reasons, but since the death of my son, it has taken on additional meaning...
Hell is green, I need a flame

I use one a lot that was from Richard Dawkins; 'Religion should be dealt with with ridicule and contempt'.

" you can observe a lot just by watching '

Keep your friends close and your enemies away from you. I live by that.

Go for it !roll with the punches, and take all opportunities as they arise. don't dither go thither and yon.

jacpod Level 8 July 26, 2018

I got this one from my dad....whenever the kids complain about an injury(nothing serious) or tiredness.... they get this...

"It ain't from workin!"

Especially if it is actually due to work. See the irony? Haha.

arnies Level 7 July 24, 2018

This is your life, not a rehearsal.

It's all chicken, but the beak!

I say often ---- "and so it goes----!" plus "oh dear same old! same old!"

jacpod Level 8 July 22, 2018

One that gets me through is 'All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of things, shall be well'.

Jandii Level 4 July 19, 2018

Never throw- up into the oncoming wind,
Dont count your chickens it will take all day!
Doesn't matter what anyone thinks about you, thats their business not yours

jacpod Level 8 July 19, 2018

I have a few. I grew up outside of society, and I developed my own beliefs, and code of honour, that I live by here's a couple.
"We exist for an instant. Everything else is just a dream for the future, or a memory from the past. What you do this instant, determines and develops both"

"In a universe as vast as this one, with the amount of time it has at its' disposal, anything and everything, can and will eventuate... eventually"

"The fact god exists is incontrovertible. Something created the universe... the only debate should be whether it is sentient or not"

Seriously. Give me a scenario, and I'll give you my philosophy on it...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:130635
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.