Agnostic.com

32 2

What are your thoughts on open relationship ?

Prashant 5 July 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The only thing it would help me with is my curiosity.

I think it's perfectly fine for couples who can make it work. I know that I am too insecure to be in an open or poly relationship.

I don't want one but if it works for someone else then that is their choice

Some years ago, my wife and I had an open relationship. We had sex with whoever we wanted. We were involved with wife swapping. We both had a lot of fun with this and it never endangered our marriage. Anyone else have comments on this?

Great experience, isn't it?

One is more than enough. I don’t see the point of poly relationships, but we as humans are entitled to make our own choices.

I have no issues with it. If both parties are good with it, great.

We need a new paradigm. One that isn't based on possession and ownership.

If it works for you, more power to you.

It is not something that would help me thrive.

Ditto.

It's a friendship. Nothing more.

I've been poly for about three years now. One year was pretty good, one year wasn't so great, and the last year there just haven't been any solid prospects to pursue.

It's not easy, if you do it right. And if you do it wrong yeah, it can cause someone a lot of hurt. But it's not impossible. And just because a relationship ends doesn't mean the relationship failed. A lot of the 'normal behaviors' perpetuated by pop culture monogamy, things like aggressive jealousy, unrealistic expectations of treating their romantic partner like their sole priority, and being treated that way are toxic behaviors in emotionally intimate relationships.

Polyamory and open relationships, like all relationships, live and die on open, honest communication. Being able to address problems like feelings of jealousy or needing more attention, knowing boundaries and limitations and just...talking about things without getting defensive or making it personal.

Had a truly horrible experience that left me broken and trustless,

Only the toughest emotionally can survive it. Not a game for those who turn jealous easily. I wish I had the strength for a polyamory lifestyle but it wouldn't matter even if I did as my wife is not down for it.

Don't bring it home. Don't involve the children. Negotiate the terms. Do not deceive.

Takes a ton of honesty, communication and acceptance.

Fine if that is what is going to work for both

For me, absurd. I can't imagine the logistics involved.

Hey if it works for some who am i to judge theres actually many study thats shows we are not made to be monogamist i was in a pretty normal relationship for 6 years we had are expiriences here and there but we always comunicated about what obe and other felt wanted and felt confurtable with it only ended cause in the end she would not comunicate and close her self off so weater your relation ship is closed or open its all about comunication with out that it doesnt work and it doesnt mather if its closed or open

Not a fan. No problem with people who enjoy that type of relationship.

I don't think I'm emotionally mature enough to be able to handle that. I think it has a lot to do with your ego being understood and overcome enough to be able to handle it

@Omen6Actual you do realise that being a whore involves having sex for money? This is not the discussion. (Personally I have no issue with whores either, as long as it's a mutually consensual transaction that I don't have to be involved in.)

@Omen6Actual perhaps by you. Personally I don't have a problem with promiscuity, it's lying, cheating and not having good sexual health practices that I take issue with.

@Omen6Actual I consider a whore to be pretty honest and straightforward (the sexual health practices would depend on the individual I guess?); so I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

@Omen6Actual and you're welcome to your outdated pseudo religious opinions! Enjoy.

@Omen6Actual you did see my earlier comment about good sexual health right?

I'm actually not personally into open relationships, but know people that are in them and as they are all over 18 and it's consensual and honest I favour the opinion that it's their choice; just as it's my choice not to be in one (some of them aren't happy, but some monogomous people aren't either).

I think that once people start dictating and berating others for how they live it's an issue. If they are not harming anyone and are being open (i.e. not lying) I really don't care. There are people out there stealing, murdering, committing fraud to the extent that it bankrupts others and abusing those weaker than themselves...why don't we choose our battles here? There is nothing wrong with a little bit of live and let live 🙂

@Omen6Actual and I hope your first relationship works out well for you and you never need to see a second person, hey while you're at it why not marry that person, enjoy the view from that horse.

Adults can agree to anything they make work. Not sure I could do it now but have in the past with varying levels of success

Let's just say 'open' to the idea.

tricky but doable if all parties are honest however life is a shitstorm at best and adding to it seems like setting yourself up for pain and disappointment

weeman Level 7 July 16, 2018

I'm not into increasing my chances of catching one of those communicable diseases.

mt49er Level 7 July 16, 2018

I don't believe in them.

Personally not for me

It might work for some, although it would not be for me. I don't like to share. 😛

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:132094
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.