Agnostic.com

30 12

I'm never doing that...

What is something growing up that your parents did that you said you would never do, but you do?

Something minor, not anything that would require us to send you a therapy bill for discussing here.

Example:

Growing up I absolutely hated that my mom and grandmother covered the sofa with a cover or blanket. It just seemed so tacky to me. However, now that I am grown and have animals it makes a lot of sense and I find myself doing it too.

Crimson67 8 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@Crimson67 Experience counts!

My mom used to dig through Kleenex boxes at the store to find colors that matched the bathroom. I thought that was the most idiotic thing when I was a kid!

I totally do that now.

In a similar vein, I hate it when the three pack includes two perfect colors and one "hell no" color. I often end up taking the third one to work. Sigh.

@Zster Always happen on the 3 pk of male socks.

Complain about the music that kids listen to these day. Lol.

Oh this is a good one! I thought I would be so progressive and keep listening to all the new music forever. it turns out I actually can't stand to listen to a lot of the new popular music!

Ya me too!

Smoke and support legalization of marijuana lol

Making my bed everyday.

Drink coffee

I used to think my mom was nuts for facing her folded washcloths in the same direction. Towels, sure, but washcloths? And now I do it, too.

My father hummed tunelessly but repetitively to himself, and one day I realized I was doing the exact same thing.

He was also a bit cranky, and now I understand why. Boy, do I.

my dad was a no. 1 asshole.. i now am in same line of work and i now know why he was such an asshole

Have kids ....39 years and i thought i had it beat

Simon1 Level 7 July 29, 2018

Smoke cigarettes lol

Same. 😟 (I'm 2 years quit)

Me too. It took Chantix to free me from it.

We had cats when I was young and the couch was alway covered, at the time I thought it was silly. I have a dog now and my couch is covered. It's easier to wash the blanket than getting the fur that has weaved into the fibers of the couch out. 😀

Betty Level 8 July 29, 2018

Cabbage. I loathed cabbage with a passion and knew I would stop eating it as soon as I could. Of course now I seek out some nice spring greens to have myself.

The same can't be said of sprouts however, hated them then, hate them now, dirty, smelly little shit bombs - YUK!

ipdg77 Level 8 July 29, 2018

bwa ha ha

My Father would whistle and now I do.

My mother would reuse paper towels and aluminum foil. Now, I do.

Both parents would complain about popular music, now I do.

Never get married

Complain about how much noise kids make.

My mother broke down or flattened every box or carton, such as a cearal box or a milk carton, and along with other flat items, such as paper plates, slid them along the side of the kitchen garbage can to avoid having large bulky items take up too much room in the can. She was obsessed with this to the point of flying into a rage if I failed to also do it (think Joan Crawford with the Comet cleanser in "Mommy Dearest." ) I now do it. I get slightly twitchy if my husband doesn't, but I actively ignore that feeling because I refuse to repeat my mother's pathology.

Keep the house cold. I used to get cold so easily that every summer my lips and fingers were blue because they had that A/C cranked. Swore I'd never run that machine and have fresh air instead. Fast forward a couple decades and now I'm overheating all the time and the A/C is my best friend.

Eat leftovers

I like leftovers... I know men that do not like leftovers... my son is one... I simply say to him.... wait till you get marry.

Excellent answer! As a child, I thought leftovers were a form of torture!

@JenBeberstein I did too. With 6 kids they were a staple and how we got by. Now I feel bad for what we put my mom through.

If it was something the kids liked, figure they will have it gone by next day for sure. Probably before morning

I was always saying I was not going to get married. We used to see guys in the neighborhood turn 18 and get married. When I was 12 I told my friends I am going to commit a crime at 18 so I get put in jail for 2 years and don't get marry. I married at 27, the last of 7 siblings to do it, Mom said I was worried about you.

My brother swore he would never have children. He has two, he was able to hold out until his forties. 😀

Abuse children.
After dealing with that from my father. I swore I would never do that to any child, or any one else ever. and I haven't.
And I never will.

@Crimson67 No I would never harm any one. I must have misunderstood the question.

@Crimson67 Yes I get that now. Like I said, I misunderstood the question at the time.

@sweetcharlotte cool... it was always 'spare the rod and spoil the child'.. my mother was only doing what her dad did to her. but looking back it did no good to spank the shit out of a kid

Never say never.

JK666 Level 7 July 30, 2018

Absolutely nothing. I learned from their mistakes and made all my own. Luckily, my kiddo is a lot like me and my parents were probably the worst for me. I did for him what mine should have done for me.

Suggest that children don't slouch

Oh no! It makes them slouch even worse. At least it did me.

My father would always turn everything electrical off at night and also pull the plugs out of their sockets. Now its part of my routine. I wonder is it just safety-conscious or a bit OCD.

Trying to reduce the expenses of wasted utilities .

Dad added onto the house . My room was so very cold , that eventually , I began making a point to adjusting the thermostat up , at bedtime . Dad was sweating at night . When he had added on a bedroom for each of my brother and myself , my room was at the very end of the heating duct , so to save on heating expenses , he cut off the the vent to my room . Not only was mine the farthest from the furnace , my vent was also closed off , so I was freezing at night . When I turned the heat up , so I could thaw out , my parents room was overheating at night . Mom convinced him to open the vent to my room , so I no longer adjusted the thermostat .

We were lower middle class. Mom's frugal nature was hard on me because of the peer pressure of what other kids were doing. Some of the other boys wore Levi's jeans, with that prestigious little red tag on the back pocket. Mom bought me Sears or Penny's brand jeans.

I was the smart one and knew I would go to college, be very successful, and never have to worry about money.

Now I'm 70 and live alone. I do things like re-use the same paper napkin if it's not too dirty.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:142841
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.